Has anyone built a Koko jig?

healthie1

Reaction score
Hi boys!

I'm looking to consult with someone who's build some stave drums before and would like to mentor me - I'd like to build a koko jig and make a kit of staves, but I haven't been successful in finding build plans anywhere. If you've done some building of this sort, please send me a message, I have a week off later in June and would love to tackle a snare drum. I've done some cabinet building and other small projects and have a reasonably good woodshop set up.

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I can't even remember what a Koko jig is. Is that the one that cuts the outside of the shell? I built a jig for trimming out the inside of the shell.

healthie1

Reaction score
I can't even remember what a Koko jig is. Is that the one that cuts the outside of the shell? I built a jig for trimming out the inside of the shell.
Yeah! It’s the one you can do both the inside and outside. I would love to speak with you about your jig and what you’re doing to round the outside, think you could send me a PM with some details?

BlackPearl

Reaction score
I haven built a stave drum myself, but the guy from Murray Drums in Scotland did a series of videos on the jigs he uses for turning drums with a router. They seem to me to be a simpler alternative to a Koko jig. But again, I haven't done it myself, so take that with a grain of salt. You can't arque with his results, he makes beautiful drums. He mostly does segmented as opposed to stave drums, but I believe the turning process should be the same, and he has done some stave drums.

BlackPearl

Reaction score
As an example of Murray Drums work, here he is demoing a snare, though I believe the whole kit was built using the same techniques.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
The three point circle cutting method the Koko jig uses for the inside should also work for the outside - though it may take a few passes if the starting point is not real circular to begin with.