Has anyone have tips to converting a floor tom to a bass drum?

YungCloud

Reaction score
I havent done much research yet on how it is best done. What kind of heads would you recommend? A few screws, washers and i'm good for the pedal mount, right?

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lots of past posts on this topic. Depends on the type of FT and size you have. Do you want to just flip it, or do you want to do a better conversion (with hoops/claws)? Do you want it to be returnable to a normal FT or do you want to go full blown and make it an irreversible conversion (you can reverse but will have extra holes)?

Cheapest easiest way is to get some Danmar Ludwig spurs ($20-25), then flip the FT on its side, and use the same hoops. You will need a riser and I recommend the Dixson ($40). As for heads, you can use whatever, but coated emperor batter or coated PS3 batter work well. I like Fiberskyn on the reso side or coated Amb. You can use "normal" tom heads, but if you want to use bass drum heads, since the collars on them are larger, you must use hoops (metal or wood) and claws. I also like the Super Kick for my 16" basses but requires hoops/claws. Depends on the sound you want.

I am sure Dana at Bentley's can hook you up......I haven't been there since March 2020!

Reactions: JDA

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
First I'd ask what Brand series are you converting
2) Are the lug identical to a bass drum lug? If so
3) (you can..) are you going (to use) stock standard wood hoops, claws and rods or
4) going to not care if it resembles a bass drum and have it look like an alien insect with lifts, cradles , bars, and lifters
5) suspended or on the floor?

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I havent done much research yet on how it is best done. What kind of heads would you recommend? A few screws, washers and i'm good for the pedal mount, right?
Google floor tom to bass drum conversion kit. I’ve also seen cradle style risers that the floor tom rests on top of that require no attached parts.

PS:

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Cheaper DIY solutions: http://compactdrums.com/diy-bass-drum-riser/
More expensive: Danmar Tom Kick Riser
Regarding head: If you convert it to regular bass drum hoops, you could try an Evans EMAD for maximum flexibility. Otherwise, it depends on your prefered sound if you want to use a plain Ambassador or something pre-muffled.
Just so you know, the 16" eMads come in two types, one to use with rims & the other to be used with bass drum hoops. I love these for small bass drum projects, just make sure you get the type you need.

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well for my daughters kit I took a 16” 6 lug floor Tom took one of the leg mounts off. Put some metal rims from a spl kick and the Spurs and claws and put them on I didn’t have to switch the heads out to kick heads or anything. Has a remo vintage emp on batter side and a black reso head a piece of soft side Velcro for a impact pad and honestly it sounds good.

Attachments

jmcohen

Reaction score
If you are handy working with wood, you could make a cradle like mine. I sized it specifically for my floor tom and when assembled, the rims hold it together. I attached a beefy door hinge to one of the uprights to serve as the pedal mount. I epoxied a thick piece of rubber to one side of the hinge leaf to give my Speed King clamp something tasty to bite into. Lastly, I glued some felt to the tops of the uprights to gently cradle the floor tom to sleep. No mods to the floor tom were necessary. Just remove the legs.
Josh

Attachments

KeenAmateur

Reaction score
I have used the Pearl conversion kit with success.
I second this. Turned out more expensive than it initially seemed though. The kit with riser, conversion floor tom legs and memory locks was pretty cheap, but the OPT1314 Optimount that I needed to make it work cost about €65 or so!
It works a treat with my walnut 16x14 (that's 14x16 in dollars and cents ;) ) - rock solid in use and the drum resonates absolutely beautifully, which is worth the cost of the Optimount. The drum sounds a lot deeper than I expected, but I expect the walnut shell is helping with that a bit too.
You can return to a floor really quickly by switching legs, that's if you don't mind the big, redundant lump of mounting hardware hanging off it. If you want the cleaner look, it's chore. Make no bones about it.
Those EMADS come in a version for non-bass hoops too. I have a Powerstroke 3 Fiberskin batter, with the original Aquarian 'coated ambo' floor batter head now as the reso. Many would want to damp it, but the resonance is intoxicating. Instead I use the big fluffy Vic Firth bass drum beater and damp as I go. It's good practice for fine control of the bass foot. Mistakes are noticeable by the big boom in the wrong context though :D .

moosryan

Reaction score
+1 for the pearl conversion kit. Super easy and compact for gigging. You have to get an ISS mount as well (and be forewarned those won't take die cast hoops, they need a flange).

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I second this. Turned out more expensive than it initially seemed though. The kit with riser, conversion floor tom legs and memory locks was pretty cheap, but the OPT1314 Optimount that I needed to make it work cost about €65 or so!
I was fortunate enough to find a used one for about $20. But normally they are about $35-40 here.

microswitch

Reaction score
I found a beat-up Rogers Power Tone 18" FT rims and Lug badly rusted and a crack in the shell.... for $40 bucks couldn't go wrong... I 'll post pictures chronologically...
For me was very important to go all out and really resurect a good shell and make it a BOP kit. ... I did cut the shell down to 14" depth and relocate the RE_RING.... polished the lugs, add all the necessary hardware.....and. see the end results yourself....

Attachments

ian.thomas

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I sometimes play my 18" FT as a bass. Got some Yamaha marching hoops off eBay in a color that is really close, Gibraltar riser, and Dunnett legs. No mods to the drum so it can go back to original as a FT.

20160619_154405.jpg

mrmike

Reaction score
Bass drum spurs/legs will have a more solid feel than something that the drum just lies on. Inde and Dunnett have some good options for not drilling extra holes. IMO adding traditional bass drum hoops, claws and bass drum heads also sound better. ian.thomas has a really nice setup that not only looks good but I bet it sounds killer too!