Has Anyone Played a Ludwig Classic Maple With Their New Roundover Edges?

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I heard last year that Ludwig has been offering different edges on their drums. For example, you can order a Classic Maple set with roundover edges. I'm just wondering if anyone has played a set with any of their different edge offerings. I'm really curious as to how they sound compared to the standard edges on the Classic Maples.

Alpine

Reaction score
I heard last year that Ludwig has been offering different edges on their drums. For example, you can order a Classic Maple set with roundover edges. I'm just wondering if anyone has played a set with any of their different edge offerings. I'm really curious as to how they sound compared to the standard edges on the Classic Maples.
Nice demo of the different edges:

gmiller598

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Do these drums have a different edge? I don't see anything that says they have a roundover edge or anything like that.
From the description in the video:

Ludwig Classic maple Sable black
REMO coated ambassadors top and clear ambassadors bottom
10x7.5 Double 45 deg
12x8 reg 45
13x9 reg 45
14x13 reg 45
16x15 round over
22x14 round over
14x6.5 Elm limted editon snare. with REMO fiberskyn diplomat
Earthworks mics.

Basically only the lower floor tom and bass drum have roundover edges. Not sure how well you can tell anything between the different floor toms since they are 2" difference diameter.

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
From the description in the video:

Ludwig Classic maple Sable black
REMO coated ambassadors top and clear ambassadors bottom
10x7.5 Double 45 deg
12x8 reg 45
13x9 reg 45
14x13 reg 45
16x15 round over
22x14 round over
14x6.5 Elm limted editon snare. with REMO fiberskyn diplomat
Earthworks mics.

Basically only the lower floor tom and bass drum have roundover edges. Not sure how well you can tell anything between the different floor toms since they are 2" difference diameter.

Ah, thank you. I didn't see that. Yeah, I am not hearing a lot of difference in the drums, mostly due to the fact that they aren't the same size. It's tough to tell if the diameter is causing the drum to sound different or if it is the edges.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
There were two separate threads going from members who had ordered and received these drums with the new edges.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn, Carter is soooo good! How anyone can give him a thumbs down, I'll never understand. And this video has 79 thumbs down. Sorry for the diversion but really?!

rdumas

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have one of the Ludwig USA Club Date kits, the last version they released with the Imperial lugs. These drums have the full roundover edges. They are very warm and mellow. The kick, in particular, gives a very full, round (pardon the pun) and warm boom....especially when played wide open.

I would recommend this DCP video to get a sense for the different series and how their edges sound in comparison.
https://youtu.be/119u8iTrUY8

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There were two separate threads going from members who had ordered and received these drums with the new edges.
Holy cow, how did I miss those in my search? Thank you very much.

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have one of the Ludwig USA Club Date kits, the last version they released with the Imperial lugs. These drums have the full roundover edges. They are very warm and mellow. The kick, in particular, gives a very full, round (pardon the pun) and warm boom....especially when played wide open.

I would recommend this DCP video to get a sense for the different series and how their edges sound in comparison.
https://youtu.be/119u8iTrUY8
Thank you. I have watched that video several times! I wish there was a video showing a comparison between a Classic Maple with their standard 45s and ones with the different edges.