Has anyone shipped drum set to Germany from US?

Rockin' Billy

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keepin’ the beat since 1973 Woodstock, N.Y.
I have someone from Germany interested in my Yamaha Club Custom kit.(22/12/16/snare) Is it very involved, and would anyone have a guesstimate on shipping cost?
I reckon I have to box up and weigh then get pricing. I suggested maybe best to take to a UPS store and let them pack/ship. That way(I’m thinking) if any damage and hopefully not, it’s all on them. Thanks for any input.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A ups store will probably charge a grand for packing and shipping to Germany.
The only way to ship to Germany is to use usps and pack yourself.
The maximum length plus girth combined is 108 inches so the largest box you can use is
24 x 24 x 18.
You would have to strip all the hardware off the bass drum and nest the drums. Fedex and uhaul sell heavy duty 24" cube boxes.
Probably will cost less than $150. You may have to ship the snare separately.
Edit... the maximum weight is 70 pounds. A 70 lb box in the above size would cost $208. That's for priority. They used to have first class which would be less but not sure if they still have that.
If you do ship, it's much easier to print out the paperwork on line than it is manually.

Last edited:

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
To answer your title question, I just shipped a snare drum to Germany for one of our members a couple of weeks ago. Yes, it's easy to get a quote online if you have the dimensions and weight. You wouldn't have to actually pack it if you weigh the drums and the packing material. I agree that the UPS store is going to be insanely expensive. It is NOT, I repeat NOT cost efficient to ship internationally with UPS or FedEx. USPS Priority International is the way to go.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a side note...UPS stores are not UPS. They're privately owned franchises. They charge book rate or higher for ups shipping and a fortune for packing supplies.
You can drop off ups packages there for free (the stores get a tiny commission). Unless you have no time or rarely ship, it's economically prudent to avoid them for shipping.
They do have other services that are worthwhile.

Rockin' Billy

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you kindly Rich K and lossforgain! That pretty much takes care of what I was inquiring about.
And yes, I do know about the UPS stores as a franchise thank you. I was thinking along the lines of buyer pays shipping and that may have been the least complicated as they would pack/paperwork and ship, then if any damage all on them and POSSIBLY easier for a claim to be fulfilled.
I don’t nor ever did have PayPal(or the likes) so I’m asking for a personal check that will have to clear before shipping. My last hoop to jump through. Buyer seems legit and serious. Thanks again!

bassanddrum84

Reaction score
I shipped a a snare drum to Germany few months back and it was expensive. About 100 just for the snare. Through usps.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same. Snare to Germany USPS priority international , finally landed after a month or so. $100 +
I’m all done shipping kits . Pick up only. Too much work too many headaches .

Rockin' Billy

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fr
They don't have drums in Germany?
From his pictures it appears he likes/collects Yamaha Black Swirl Club Customs and really wants my kit I have for sale.
At this point of communication w/him I believe it may just be to much hassle for me. Never did want to ship to other Country for this reason, but no other action on my for sale listings.
Thanks everyone.

owr

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
At the risk of a hijack, has anyone shipped a small kit domestically in the US lately? Im thinking 12/14/20 from West coast to East coast. Just trying to get a sense on ballpark cost.

Thanks

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A personal check!? You should consider a money order, certified check or direct deposit. Great advice about shipping. I shipped a small kit to Germany a few years. Pack it yourself in double walled boxes. Wrap tom legs and tom mounts separately and make sure they're firmly packed so they won't move. Figure out how to pack so you use two boxes. USPS

Rockin' Billy

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A personal check!? You should consider a money order, certified check or direct deposit. Great advice about shipping. I shipped a small kit to Germany a few years. Pack it yourself in double walled boxes. Wrap tom legs and tom mounts separately and make sure they're firmly packed so they won't move. Figure out how to pack so you use two boxes. USPS
Yes, getting paid how is another concern for me. The guy w/interest had purchased from Italy but not US. He’s in the dark as I am on payment but looking into it so big thanks for your ideas! I’m in the midst of responding to him now. Thank you kindly.

owr

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Should we have a different thread on shipping cost questions for every destination? :)

owr

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I searched, couldnt find a more appropriate thread to bump. Sorry OP.

Rockin' Billy

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is a personal check? And does the German buyer know?

In the 80s I once saw a guy use a check. Other than that, it is a completely American phenomenon to me ;-)

I have used http://www.transferwise.com/ for international transactions and it worked great with lower fees than paypal.
Ha, he wasn’t sure what a personal check was! We’re trying to figure out payment. Thanks for the option thought.