Has Anyone Tried A "Tru Tuner"?

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
An interesting idea, but it's not exactly something you can put on your keychain and take from gig to gig.

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
An interesting idea, but it's not exactly something you can put on your keychain and take from gig to gig.
It says it fits in a cymbal case.

But it doesn't say how it works. Looks complicated actually.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
It probably does; I use a bag, as do most cats I know. Not sure if it would travel well, plus the bag tends to be pretty full.

If I were teching/changing lots of heads frequently on large kits, it might be worth a look, assuming all kit tension rods and lugs were in great working order and well lubed.

Splat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Someone I know had one and I borrowed it. I didn't care for it. There's too many variables for this shotgun approach to tuning. Many moons down the road I got a Tune Bot Studio and love it.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not really a tuner, it's a way to quickly turn all the tension rods at one time when replacing heads.

Yup - saw it a couple times at the Chicago Vintage Drum Show as they had a booth . Not sure if they sold many

dirtysicks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Someone should do a comparison to see if this really saves time over using your fingers to loosen the rods. With this, you still have to line the individual rods up in this assembly before you can even start twisting. I'm assuming the difference would be negligible. I'll stick with my fingers and a couple drum keys.

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I own one and I say the same thing to people who ask about it. In theory, it's a good idea and when it works it's very easy to change heads and get them in the range to tune by ear. But, in my experience, it's trickier than it looks to line up the keys and get them in the correct holes. I even had a refresher course at their booth last year at the Chicago show. I wouldn't pay full price. Find one used to play around with. It's not bad to have in the workshop but it'd be useless on gigs.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t get these silly gimmicks your ears are your best tool.
Some aren't gimmicks. Trust me, a tunebot can hear what your ears can't! Ear tuning is fine to be in a range but technology has changed the game for precision. When you use your ears to get in range and then fine tune with a Tunebot, the results are stunning. It's humbling because it makes you realize how wrong your ears were. And the drum ends up singing like you've never heard before.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It's always struck me as somewhat of a Rube Goldberg device. All those little keys that could potentially get lost, the foldable handle, etc... I just don't see the advantage of it. Give me a portable drill, 2 drum keys and maybe 30 extra seconds, and I could accomplish pretty much the same thing.

Rudy Mints

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've had great success using it with a drum line. 11 snares, 5 tenors (30 drums). Big plus is that it allows you to do the preliminary tightening with all tension rods being turned evenly at the same time. Cuts way down on time used for head changes, even tensioning results in a better feel off the head, and longer head life.

Regards, Rudy

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I can change a head in less than a song's time with one key, so this doesn't seem to offer any advantage to me. I can see it being helpful if you have a ton of drums, like the drum line mentioned before, or maybe for a music store if you're getting a ton of new product at once.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If anyone wants one. Free + postage.
Wow! That's quite an endorsment.

It does seem a bit fiddley and gimmicky. Probably would be faster if it was sized for just one drum rather than a multiple (but then who'd want to 3-5 individual spinny things?).

EDIT: Is it named correctly? Are you really tuning the drum or just tensioning to point where you'll want to adjust each lug individually to your taste???

Last edited:

Rudy Mints

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
HOP, EDIT: Is it named correctly? Are you really tuning the drum or just tensioning to point where you'll want to adjust each lug individually to your taste???

You can get to medium tight on drum sets. No where close to tight enough for drum lines. However, in both cases you have tensioned all the tension rods to the same level which is a great starting point for getting to the sound you're after.

Regards, Rudy

Reactions: Hop