Has anyone tried any of the cymbal retailers' trade-in programs?

Demonslayer

Reaction score
After a lot of researching (and some soul-searching) I've decided that I want an Istanbul Agop 22" Traditional Original Ride. However, $460 plus shipping puts a serious dent in my aspirations.

I have an Istanbul Agop 22" Traditional Medium Ride that I could sell or trade-in. My ride is in good shape but it's nowhere near pristine. I figure that if I can enough from the retailer for my Medium ride so that I can bring my net investment for the Original ride close to $250 shipped, I can go for it.

Any first-hand experience here? Thanks!

Attachments

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I don’t know of a trade in program with the manufacturer, but most of us just sell what we don’t want to buy what we do want.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
MyCymbal.com has a trade-in program
Call them up and ask. I had like 12 cymbals a couple of months ago that I wanted to sell and replace with others. They were UFIP, Mehmet & Soultone, all in mint condition. I called them, asked and they told me that they wouldn't take any of them because they had no market for reselling them. They basically told me that they would only take "common name brands" which they could resell. Even if they take your Agop, they are going to give you much less than what you can sell it for. Your best bet is to sell it outright. You'll get more money and you'll be set to buy your replacement. I put mine up on eBay (some singles and some in pairs). I netted almost enough to replace everything for what I really wanted. At first I thought it would be a drag to do all the work but it wasn't that hard and in the end it worked out well. You've only got one to sell which is easy. Some good pictures, a decent price, charge some of the shipping and you'll have it sold quickly. The fees you pay on eBay & paypal are fine because of the traffic that eBay brings. In the end you still save after paying fees because you get a big discount from buying the shipping through eBay. It's worth it!
LRod

Last edited:

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
MyCymbal.com has a trade-in program
oh I read this wrong — I thought you said a MANUFACTURER program. As I looked back, I’m not sure why my brain took it that way.

You will get far less than what your trade is worth unless you sell it on your own. Trade-in with a retail store is likely to get you 50-60% of what they think they can turn around and sell it for.

premierplayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Trade -in at a retail level will get you 100% less than they perceive they can resell it for. It's how business id done.
Cymbals, drums, guitars, all musical insturments fall into this rut.
Selling yourself will yeild the best outcome.

John DeChristopher

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steve Maxwell sells gear on consignment. They take 20% I believe. Just be sure to set a realistic price, or it's going to sit there. But as others have said, you'll get more if you sell it privately. Good luck.

rock roll

Reaction score
I've taken a few cymbals to guitar center as well as a smaller local store .. I was offered 60 dollars for a paiste dimension 20" ride ...I paid 110 dollars for it used, it looked great but was too flat sounding for me.
I got less for my 19" Soultone .
..... So I agree with everyone's opinion on this, use craigslist,eBay,reverb etc. as well as placing it for sale here on this forum...they have a for sale option.
Good luck.

sixplymaple

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should try selling and shipping the cymbal yourself on here, ebay, or craigslist. You will get more money for sure. But if you are in a rush it might not happen fast enough. Guitar Center pays 50%-60% of original cost if it's in mint condition.

CigarScott

Reaction score
You should try selling and shipping the cymbal yourself on here, ebay, or craigslist. You will get more money for sure. But if you are in a rush it might not happen fast enough. Guitar Center pays 50%-60% of original cost if it's in mint condition.
Last I knew, GC will give you 50-60% of what the current average selling price of said item is on Ebay; at least that's what they did when I traded some stuff in several years ago. If they're smart, they'd switch to the price guide for said item on Reverb as they seem to do a much better job tracking price ranges for a given item.