Has the great drum sell off begun?

Frank Godiva

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
We have talked much here about older collectors starting to sell due to age, but has the economic shutdown accelerated folks urge to sell?

I only focus on a niche myself, but have noticed an uptick in listings; especially higher end and more rare items.

Last edited:

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
There's economic incentive yes, but also people are sitting around not working so they have time to get around to finally getting stuff listed. But I expect FBM and CL to take a big hit for a month or two.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
We have talked much here about older collectors starting to sell due to age, but has the economic shutdown accelerated folks urge to sell?

I only focus on a niche myself, but have noticed an uptick in listings; especially higher end and rare more rare items.
I think the "older collectors" are probably better prepared to deal with the crisis. Where you will see the biggest deals is both in the retail that is just trying to stay afloat through this and the vast majority of people out there living paycheck to paycheck. If anything, this is when collectors pounce on good deals and add to their collection.

Last edited:

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've been keeping an eye out on craigslist but haven't seen a shift in pricing or a single really great deal yet but like you guys are saying, maybe in a month or so.

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
There's economic incentive yes, but also people are sitting around not working so they have time to get around to finally getting stuff listed. But I expect FBM and CL to take a big hit for a month or two.
This is my scenario. I've wanted to list for months, but my road gigs got in the way of shipping things. Now that I have time, I'm listing them. This will eventually end, and so will the recession. But At least I'll have had time to write descriptions and post them. However long it takes

I'm still selling that Live Custom kit for example.. No takers yet, but I'm not worried...

steambent

DFO Master
Reaction score
I am 60 and of course still working. I am giving it serious thought to leaving the profession I have had for 40 years (last 34 years with the same company) and sell off my somewhat large collection while I am still young enough to tear drums apart, clean them, reassemble them box up and carry into the shipping business. It would take me at least 2 if 4 years to do this I estimate. I am hoping this would sustain me financially during that period too so I would not have to dip into my retirement.

kallen49

Reaction score
My employer, a format printing plant near Toronto, employs 85 people. I took last week and next as holidays but, along with most of the staff, I was laid off on Friday. First time in my 38 year career I’ve been laid off.
Apparently 500,000 Canadians applied for our federal government unemployment insurance this week. Now I will too and thankfully it pays a max of 55% of your regular earnings for about a year.
My boss says she hopes we will be back at work soon. I sure hope so too as I can’t retire yet, still have a mortgage. I don’t think schools will go back until September.
So more pain is coming. Unique or rare instruments will probably retain most of their value but maybe the mass produced drums of the past 40 years not so much?
To remain positive, my workshop and drum room have never been more organized! And I’m thankful my family are safe and healthy, practicing social distancing. Sending prayers for those in northern Italy.

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
I sold off a third of my collection starting about three-four months ago. Something just clicked in me, I said to myself; Son, you went overboard with this gear thing, now reverse gears.

It was a fairly painful process with cleaning, inspections, countless pictures, descriptions and the listing process. Answering countless questions, dealing with tire kickers and fools and insulting bids in some cases. Hunting cardboard, making boxes, scrounging bubble wrap and back and forth to FedEx and the Post.

I am glad it is over for the most part. I knew I got in just under the curtain when one of the last items I had listed on eBay, a beautiful 6.5” Tama King Beat sold on an old school 7- day auction starting at $1 for $122.

Now is not a good time to sell drum gear.

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
what happened with that "guy's situation you said u were going to handle the Sale..
I went to his home with every intention of getting to work taking pictures, getting descriptions etc. and the day was spent otherwise against my best efforts.

We did discuss a game plan and how I would approach the task. He was receptive to my thoughts on the topic and has since called me twice to say that he still has every intention of moving forward with this with my assistance but nothing concrete so far.

So, at this point I am open and receptive to it but also looking to see some serious intention before I put much more effort into it.

Throughout my life people have asked me to help them do things because I am a no nonsense straight shooter who just gets things done but as a result I don’t have Much patience for slow dancing.

So, we shall see.

Reactions: JDA

drummer5359

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've scaled down on drum kits in the past year, in that this time last year I owned eight complete drum sets. Today I own two shell banks and just one vintage kit. People laugh when I tell them that I bought two shell banks as part of scaling back, but it made sense to me.

I own a decent amount of Snare drums and cymbals, and I can still see some entering my fold. If something especially cool pops up on my radar, I'll buy.

OttawaDrumGuy

Reaction score
The closure of the Canada/US border means I'll be watching from the sidelines. Lots of sellers don't want to ship to Canada, or the cost is prohibitive, so I used to drive 40 minutes south and pick up gear at a little place just across the border that receives packages.

I'll shop closer to home and support my local drum store - Dave always gets nice stuff. I just hope the independent shops can make it through this crisis.

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've received out of the blue special offers from stores on Reverb on items I've watched or made an offer months ago. I'm also seeing much friendlier financing from the big sites.