Has the great drum sell off begun?

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The age group that is in the market for this gear is getting to where they are past aquiring more gear. I'm glad I sold the vintage gear I did have over the last 10 years. Wish I had had someone to pass it down to but that wasnt the case. Sadly, it's going to take a long time after all this is over to return to anywhere near where we were before.

greegor

Reaction score
Bad timing for me. Got a new Brooklyn kit in, and put a rare Renown up just before all this horrible situation. Now seems like it's just sitting there. Not complaining tho, there are much bigger problems right now and I can wait it out. Flip side, I sold an e-kit earlier this week at a Home Depot parking lot in the middle of a snow storm. So there's that...:)

Frank Godiva

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well in Sonor land, it looks like we have jumped the shark over on FB.

At least 2 full time pro musicians have flat out stated - " I am selling many of my prized possentions and tools of the trade cause I just don't know when this will end and when things will get back to normal. So let the sell off begin."
Seems to be quite the uptick in for sale posts here as well.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I'm waiting for the great JCM800 selloff. Waiting....

cplueard

Reaction score
I went to his home with every intention of getting to work taking pictures, getting descriptions etc. and the day was spent otherwise against my best efforts.

We did discuss a game plan and how I would approach the task. He was receptive to my thoughts on the topic and has since called me twice to say that he still has every intention of moving forward with this with my assistance but nothing concrete so far.

So, at this point I am open and receptive to it but also looking to see some serious intention before I put much more effort into it.

Throughout my life people have asked me to help them do things because I am a no nonsense straight shooter who just gets things done but as a result I don’t have Much patience for slow dancing.

So, we shall see.
I was watching that one. You had a modified master craft up as well right? I was watching that one as well but it looks like you pulled it. Shame the king beat went so low.

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
I was watching that one. You had a modified master craft up as well right? I was watching that one as well but it looks like you pulled it. Shame the king beat went so low.
No doubt, it is a shame to say but sales like that make you part Drums out. I did pull the Mastercraft with the retrofitted Freedom lugs. I wasn’t going to take the chance after that King Beat.

Frank Godiva

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
From another FB post from a Pro

"And so the great sell off begins. Like many of you I’m a full time musician and my income has now dropped £0 and I’m getting desperate . So I hoping some people are not in the same position as me and still want stuff and have money. "

jmpd_utoronto

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
From another FB post from a Pro

"And so the great sell off begins. Like many of you I’m a full time musician and my income has now dropped £0 and I’m getting desperate . So I hoping some people are not in the same position as me and still want stuff and have money. "
This is gonna start happening more and more I think. In a perfect world I would keep almost all the gear I have but I've already started making a mental "what will be the first to go when my savings runs out?" list. No income on the horizon for months at least... hang on to your hats, everyone. For all of you who have (a) income at all and (b) enough income or savings to be able to buy gear, it's gonna be a sweet time to be you, I think.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
There's no question the great drum gear selloff has begun.
Just look at the increase in F/S ads, here, there and everywhere.
And it's not only drums, it's everything else. ATVs, motorhomes, electronics, jet skis, on and on.....
Many are willing to supply, trouble is, the demand is very low - due to economic uncertainty.

What It Is

Reaction score
And it's really only the first week for many! What will these prices and sales look like a month or 5 from now? I'm sorry to see this happening, especially the employees of shops and stores.

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well, we just went in lockdown until June 1st. So I can see myself selling the custom DW as I have the Remo kit and the DW brings up more. On the other hand, it is the worst time to sell.

Frank Godiva

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Feeling for guys out there. From FB

"Selling my SQ1 kit... I don’t have any working vehicles and I’ve got to pay for the shop bill to fix them.

$1500 plus shipping or come and pick them up.

24,16,13."

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I repeat my own experience, is that a lot of working pros didn't always have the kind of time and energy to list things, answer question, pack, and ship. We do now. Granted some guys unfortunately need to sell at pennies on the dollar to pay bills.

NobleCooleyNut

Reaction score
I had a large purge of drum gear about a year ago , not because ai had any great foresight , but simply because I had too many kits and snares and cymbals .

I fully expect there will be some extremely collectible and rare items coming up in the coming months but I will not be buying.

kzac

Reaction score
People are playing things too close to the vest during this pandemic, Additionally many counties and cities are entering Lock Down status. So I don't see a big sell of in drum items... If this pandemic continues and affects the older population as they state, we may very well observe vintage kits available from estate sales.... Maybe even mine... But I rather hope not...

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
My local Craigs List points to vast rosy optimism. People are putting stuff up for sale but at totally unrealistic prices. As in "what I paid for it 20 years ago"

RMBRocks

Reaction score
Sold my acoustics a few years ago. Not planning on selling any e-drums. Who knows what the new 'normal' will look like for America, or any where else for that matter.

Skins_in_the_game

Reaction score
I have seen the opposite over here in North west. Criagslist has had much smaller amount of postings. I mean like down by 50% in number. I like to check for fun each morning and the virus seems to have shut off the flow of reselling

Latest posts