Has the used market gotten "weird"?

JonnyFranchi$e

Reaction score
I mean in terms of what's out there on the market.

Last summer I'd find lots of drum kits, decent, decent prices.

Now it seems like everything has dried up. In particular I've been toying with the idea of flipping my Premier for a Stage Custom which would be more useful for my needs (though I love my premier). There hasn't been much of anything decent near me for at least a month. Well there was one good one that disappeared almost immediately. But other than that it seems really dry.

Anyone else experiencing this? Any thoughts on why?

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Opposite actually, I picked up more stuff over the last year and I'm selling a few things off to trim the stock and the market is great. I'm also noticing that things like heads or say that one tom I wanted for my kit are harder to get. Thinking the C19 slowdown over the past year jacked the used market a little?

Like used cars - market I hear is booming because, again I hear you can't get new cars like you once could.

I also peruse things for fun like everyone else and I see a LOT of stuff that isn't available like on Sweetwater or whatever.

I do know that I ordered an ATV for my son a few months ago and it isn't in yet. Patiently waiting, like for that 13 inch tom that took 2 months to get in and the heads for it.

Just reading the tea leaves.

wayne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think it depends on where you live. Big city business is always booming, but in the burbs its slowed down because like real estate, its a sellers market which means buyers get nailed, generally spkng....Also drummers are bored right now and are trading up,down,sideways, whatever they think works for them

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I've slowed my buying and selling of music gear down to almost a full stop. It's not because of money - just more interested in other things like trailer camping and tinkering with an old Jeep we recently inherited.

I may try to further thin the herd in the coming months, but I don't feel rushed to do it. I don't see myself buying anything this year.

For me to say something like that, my friends, is weird.

ARGuy

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
The used market in my area has been different. People have been willing to give away kits that are still decent, they just don't want to have to deal with them anymore and don't want to go through the hassle of selling them. I have a friend that has made a business out of buying and selling used drums and has had trouble keeping up with the demand. He has bought some kits for well below market value - good quality intermediate kits with low miles.

premierplayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hot and Cold here in the DMV area. I see a lot of the same stuff relisted for meh prices and not willing to negotiate. I keep my nose on the ground several times every day and have bought and resold 5 kits in the last covid year.
It's been kinda fun making a couple of extra $ to replace the non existant gig $. Keeps my GAS satisfied.

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I mean in terms of what's out there on the market.

Last summer I'd find lots of drum kits, decent, decent prices.

Now it seems like everything has dried up. In particular I've been toying with the idea of flipping my Premier for a Stage Custom which would be more useful for my needs (though I love my premier). There hasn't been much of anything decent near me for at least a month. Well there was one good one that disappeared almost immediately. But other than that it seems really dry.

Anyone else experiencing this? Any thoughts on why?
Last summer? You should have seen how great it was in the 90’s!

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Last summer? You should have seen how great it was in the 90’s!
Isn't that the truth. I could find countless nice vintage drums, drum sets, and other gear for cheap. They were practically giving the stuff away to get it out of the house. I would keep what I wanted and list the rest on eBay where people would bid it up beyond what I would have ever believed. It was great.

I don't see those days returning for quite some time, if ever.

Targalx

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Isn't that the truth. I could find countless nice vintage drums, drum sets, and other gear for cheap. They were practically giving the stuff away to get it out of the house.
One thing I liked about the 1990s was the lack of access to the internet. Few people selling knew what the going price was for a kit or guitar. There weren’t many places to consult online, so you could really throw out numbers and people would generally take them.

”That old 1960s Ludwig? I dunno, how’s about $300 for the kit?”
“Well, I paid a bit over that new, but sure, at least I’ll get some of my money back from it.”
Next thing you know, that awesome vintage kit is in the back of of your car, on the way home.

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
One thing I liked about the 1990s was the lack of access to the internet. Few people selling knew what the going price was for a kit or guitar. There weren’t many places to consult online, so you could really throw out numbers and people would generally take them.

”That old 1960s Ludwig? I dunno, how’s about $300 for the kit?”
“Well, I paid a bit over that new, but sure, at least I’ll get some of my money back from it.”
Next thing you know, that awesome vintage kit is in the back of of your car, on the way home.
Exactly.

Once I got a smokin' deal on a Slingerland Niles badge set with 20" bass drum. When I was about to leave they asked if I would take this box of drum stuff they had. I said "sure I'll look at it - how much?" They said "free - just get it out of here. And we've got this old beat up set if you want to haul it off. A guy who rented an apartment in our basement left this junk in there. Take it too!"
The box had all kinds of tambourines and shakeres that brought about $150 all together on eBay. The drum set was a 50's Radio King with all the heads and hardware with it. The bass drum had some minor water damage but it was still cool. I sold it on eBay too, but I can't remember the amount. I think I paid about $200 for the whole load.

I know I digressed from the thread topic a bit, but to bring it back on track - that's the trend I've noticed since those days. There are certainly ups and downs, but the whole thing has been trending toward a weird feeling of used items are almost as high as buying new.

The only exception to that seems to be when I'm trying to sell something. Then it's apparently worth nothing.

mebeatee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nope...the "market" is still the same stuff...ok drumz et al are weird...
It's the folks themselves that bring on the weirdness. Vintage this and "vintage" that, flippage, lowballing,
whining, covid, shipping, peddles and symbols, what's poopular, ad nauseum...
bt

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score

mydadisjr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
1 Drumming Stick | Drums & Percussion | Ottawa | Kijiji 1 Drumming Stick (2712) Back up stick in case you break one $5
Wow, I sure could use that one drumming stick. I do sometimes break my drumming sticks, so it could come in handy. Plus it is made by ZILDGIN and I hear they make good drumming stick stuff.

But seriously, I just picked up a really nice 1973 Rogers Dynasonic COB snare on CL for $150 two weeks ago. The drum gods smiled upon me that day.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see a lot of higher start prices with make offer option. Sellers fishing for top dollar but also willing to negotiate especially Reverb. Everything is still out there somewhere you just have to be diligent and know where to look and keep looking. I've gotten unbelievable deals through negotiating sometimes by making an offer even when that isn't an available option. I have no shame to throw out a low starting number, I can handle rejection!

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
It seems weird that so many Forum posters seem completely unaware of huge trends over the past year -- such as enormous increases in sales (and prices) of items like new and used bicycles, kayaks, second homes, building materials and musical instruments.

Frank Godiva

DFO Veteran
Reaction score