Has this Video been posted before? Louie Bellson - Skin Deep [July 1994] It should have been!

ludwig402

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Holy crap! Thanks for posting this.

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks for posting. I was lucky to see him in Austin at a drum Clinic sponsored by Tommy's Drum Shop I guess around that 1994 time frame. It was an amazing show and what impressed me about him was; when a young teenager asked a question he treated him like he was the only one there and answered it for them even if it was a stupid question.

I think I miss him more than some of the other greats that have passed.

sherm

GeneZ

DFO Master
Reaction score
Grew up in NY.. now, Georgia -NW of Atlanta
Thanks for posting. I was lucky to see him in Austin at a drum Clinic sponsored by Tommy's Drum Shop I guess around that 1994 time frame. It was an amazing show and what impressed me about him was; when a young teenager asked a question he treated him like he was the only one there and answered it for them even if it was a stupid question.

sherm
I can understand why Louie was so moved with that boy.

Louie was a deeply religious man. http://mikedolbear.com/groovers-and-shakers/louie-bellson/

His wife Pearl Bailey was as well. She was a daughter of a minister.

I remember as a young teenager watching Pearl on TV and how highly she spoke highly of "love" as the most important thing in life.

We are not to discuss religion here. But, in this case, I feel it bears worth noting, and to point out something very special about Louie. Something that is sorely missing amongst many in the industry.

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

sherm
This is a great post, and echoes what seems to be said over and over whenever drummers talk about Louie: he was just about the nicest man you could imagine. He treated me much in the same way when I met him in the late 90s. I remembered him more for how cordial he was to his fans than his drum solo that night.
It's cool when drummer threads get sidetracked about what a decent human being the drummer is.
And yes - great video! Thanks for posting.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score

Louie was a deeply religious man. http://mikedolbear.com/groovers-and-shakers/louie-bellson/

I remember as a young teenager watching Pearl on TV and how highly she spoke highly of "love" as the most important thing in life.

We are not to discuss religion here. But, in this case, I feel it bears worth noting, and to point out something very special about Louie. Something that is sorely missing amongst many in the industry.
- He definitely walked it. Most just talk it.

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My ex father-in-law (Mr.G) is a reed player who moved to L.A. from Kansas in the early 1960s to make a career for himself as a musician. He struggled to break into the tight network of L.A. session players until Louie hired him for the sax section of his big band. That was the break that he needed; through his skill and talent as a player, his superb work habits, his easy-to-get-along-with personality and his ability to network, Mr.G was able to parlay that initial gig into a more than 40-year career as an A-list first-call reed player. He played on countless TV and film soundtracks, in the Academy Awards orchestra for thirty years running, and behind just about every big name artist any of us can name. And of course, he played in many of Louie Bellson's bands throughout the '70s, '80s and '90s. (In fact, I'm sure that I saw Mr.G playing with Louie long before I ever met and married his daughter.)

Mr.G always spoke of Louie in absolutely glowing terms. Besides being one of the greatest drummers who ever lived, Louie was also a gifted composer and arranger, and according to Mr.G was one of the best employers he ever worked for and one of the nicest and most sincere people he ever met in the entertainment industry.

Skeet6

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember watching this (and taping it) that night. As above, Louie was just the nicest guy. Met him at the Blue Note (late 90's?) after a show, I thanked him for the inspiration over the years, and that I was thankful to finally have seen him play up close. I remember that he asked me about my playing, (how long, style, etc...) and seemed genuinely interested in me, which caught me off guard. What a cool guy.
I'll have to see if I can find the handbill from that evening.
Mike B

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

And thank you, for the web site to Louie's story.

sherm