Hats that are dark and low pitched, but crisp and quick?

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
I already have some big thin hats for the classic sloshy deep sound; I was wondering if there are any sets out there that may be smaller and “chunkier”, for a quick cutting funk sound, but still at a low pitch and an overall dark tone?

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I would think a nice patina pair of Zildjian A 50's, 60's, and 70's new beat "style" weights with a nice light top for that vintage slosh/wash/dry and darkness.

For 14's I like 800/1150
For 15's I like 900/1300

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Not looking for slosh with this set. I’ve got slosh well covered with other sets. I do love the 50’s A sound, I have them in 14 and 15, but I’m hoping to find something with more crisp chick. I have a 2002 Sound Edge in 15, but it’s very bright.

I was just now listening to videos of the Paiste Sig Dark Crisp hats, and it seems like they’re dark relative to Paiste, but pretty bright to my ear. Anyone able to confirm if that’s their experience?

Last edited:

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’ve got a pair of these (14 Bos Masters Hats) and they do funk extremely well. Very quick and expressive. Warmer sound.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
My 1600g each Zildjian Concert Band crashes are definitely not sloshy. They're not super deep either but they're still 'Big' sounding. I'm actually interested in a thinner top hat for a big sloshy sound, but in your shoes, I'd try looking for a mate to one of your bigger bottom hats in a little heavier weight than you're currently running

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
How about some Dark Energies? I don't know the exact sound you have pictured in your mind, but you seemed to have described em in the OP

drummers_need_coffee.exe

Reaction score
Not looking for slosh with this set. I’ve got slosh well covered with other sets. I do love the 50’s A sound, I have them in 14 and 15, but I’m hoping to find something with more crisp chick. I have a 2002 Sound Edge in 15, but it’s very bright.

I was just now listening to videos of the Paiste Sig Dark Crisp hats, and it seems like they’re dark relative to Paiste, but pretty bright to my ear. Anyone able to confirm if that’s their experience?
Can confirm that you’re accurate about the dark crisp. Really great hats, nice articulation without being harsh, but not super dark.

Now, I have paired one of those with a K hat. That sounded great, and may bring down the pitch/darken the sound to what you’re looking for.

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I recently tried out a pair of 13" Sabian HHX Groove. Nice quick action, very funky, not bright. If i didn't own 4 pairs of hats I'd have found a reason to justify the purchase, still might!

charlesm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Maybe a pair of K Con 14s? They always strike me as having a dark quality but with a bright, crisp top end.

A pair of 14" Keropes that are a bit on the heavier side might also work, but they still probably wouldn't have as much brightness.

Actually, with my 15" Keropes (about 950g/1130g), if I need a brighter attack, I just flip them...bottom on top. Works.

JazzDoc

Reaction score
The hats that best fill that description are Paiste Sound Creation Dark Mediums. Incredible chic and dark tonally.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Cool, I've been watching videos of all these recommendations, thanks. So far it seems like the best idea is to pair a more crispy heavy bottom hat with one of the thin dark tops that I already have.

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have two go-to pairs for this type of sound:

-14" Saban HHX Groove Hats Brilliant - Super versatile and have a vintage vibe while being cutting, not overly heavy at all. Very pleasing and fun to play.
-Paiste 2oo2 Heavy Hats 14" - They feel more medium in wight to me, nice cutting sound and the classic 2oo2 tone. Very tight and defined.