Hats that are dark and low pitched, but crisp and quick?

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Bongo, I'd love to hear what you came up with if possible...
I found that one of my 50’s As was crispier than the others, yet still quite dark, so it made a perfect top. It had been the bottom of a set for its entire life—not a single stick mark on it. And the heavy Sultan I mentioned made a perfect bottom for it in tone and pitch interval. They have the New Beat weights of 2:3. I’ve used this pair at several gigs and rehearsals now, and they suit my wishes perfectly, I have no hihat gas at all now.

The only bummer of course is for anyone reading this and looking to buy a set off the shelf.

The Sig Dark Crisps that I checked out were all too bright for me. Maybe I just found bad examples, but I would not call them dark at all. The Dark Energies had some amazing tones, but all the ones I found were too heavy for my taste. The set of DE prototypes I bought are in the FS section now—awesome, but too heavy and loud for my band. If a set of DE’s exists with weights like 800 over 1200, then that might be the perfect answer. Or a set of Agop partial-lathed models in those weights.

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
Excellent description thank you. I sometimes think that hats are easier to like than rides and that's why there is so much attention on rides (for jazz players at least). Then I remember that hats represent two cymbals which each have to have their own sound properties, and then we judge them on the interaction. That's a complex system back again.

The Sig Dark Crisps that I checked out were all too bright for me. Maybe I just found bad examples, but I would not call them dark at all.
Here's my take on what you discovered:

When Paiste say Dark they mean dark relative to other Paiste models in the same line. I think I know what dark means in the larger context of the full lexicon of cymbal terms and sounds. Less energy in the higher frequencies.

Not specific to hats but I can't resist a second example: when Paiste say Dry they mean dry relative to other Paiste models in the same line. I'm not sure where dry really sits in the larger context of the full lexicon of cymbal terms and sounds. It isn't just lack of wash plus short sustain.

Related to the ongoing terminology discussion in this thread:

Last edited:

kallen49

Reaction score
I realize it's comparing apples, to oranges, but which of the 2 are more pleasing to your ears? The 15 2002's, although not dark, but are my favorite hats to play.
TK, described them as "dark New Beats". New Beats have always fit any situation. I'd love to own, or it would be sweet, if they made Dark New Beat hats.
I may have to go check these out
A bit of a tale, I still have my first decent hats, 14” made in Canada A Zildjian new beats, that I got new in 1976. Used them for almost 40 years. They are certainly quieter than the 14” 2002’s which are again lighter & quieter than the 14” accelerators. I used the HHX accelerators for gigs the last 7 years; very “durable” and versatile as they are fairly heavy and cut through a 7 piece cover band. Also had a 21” HHX groove ride, 17” Sabian fast crash too so there was a sonic “synchronicity”. Loved them all. “Darker” sound maybe? But with “cut”.
Got a great deal on the sound edge 2002’s this summer (had a set briefly in the 70’s), and they are sweet, but in weight, more like the old new beats. Great deal included a 20” 3000 ride, a 10” 2002 splash and so I bought a new 2002 16” to play with them as a different sounding set, compared to the HHX set. I like the “musicality” of the 2002 set and being lighter weight they seem not as loud, at least in a small setting. Warrantee has expired on my hearing so quieter but musical is good for me.
PS, off topic, but relating to cymbal “sets”; with all sets I also play a 16” Wuhan China that cost $30, which I have bashed repeatedly, for years, and that still sounds great to me ;)

Last edited:

Ang

Reaction score
I play 14” K Custom Darks most of the time, but for a crisper sound I play 14” Paiste Twenty Light Hats.

rdumas

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Try out the new Agop Xist 13" Dry Darks. Funkin' awesome.

JazzDoc

Reaction score
I’m thinking these are a really nice set of dark 14” hihat cymbals:

Meinl Byzance 14” Foundry Reserve hats.

Anyway - I’m hoping they’re as nice as they look and sound on the video - I’ll know soon.

CrashBoomPang

Reaction score
Maybe check out the Byzance Fast Hi-hat (14")
I have a pair, and I just got some Sig. Dark Crisps (14") as well.

The thing about the Dark Crisps is there is a big weight differential between the top and bottom hat. It's not dark per se, rather it has a wider frequency spread than your typical hi-hat. The sound is more deep and wide as it has some heft to it (compared to say a Medium Sig).

The Byzance Fast (brilliant top, dark bottom and little holes near the edges) is similar in having a fairly heavy bottom hat. The top however is not as bright and there's even a slightly trashy quality. Less diffuse freq.range than the DCHH and more complex sound (like typical of Byzance VS Sig). It cuts really well in a mix. Great for rock but can do other stuff as well - there's a YT video of Jabo Starks playing 'em.

(Yay! First post!)

EDIT: Forgot to mention Fast hats have a really quick, slightly dry sound because holes.

Rick

Reaction score
I play 13" K Custom Dark hats. Absolutely love them! That video from Memphis Drum Shop that someone posted earlier is an accurate representation of what they sound like.

Tanabata

Reaction score
I have the darkest hats I've ever heard.... just an old stamp K over a thicker 70's A.

They close great, nice and crunchy.

hardbat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Played a set of Agop Signatures recently. I think they may be exactly what you are looking for.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
886/1086

and 944/1110 little heavier

(my own 14" Bosphorus Traditional Dark Hats 915/1110
best hihat experience I've had in a long time
They've been (for the past year) like, smack dab in-between the best old A experience and the best old K experience.
And they're brand new (lol) (bought near new)
Take the best of either those experiences and that's the feel.

Last edited:

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I already have some big thin hats for the classic sloshy deep sound; I was wondering if there are any sets out there that may be smaller and “chunkier”, for a quick cutting funk sound, but still at a low pitch and an overall dark tone?
13" bosphorus bright hats
They aren't bright imo
I play them a bit starting at 2:40

You want a full video of them?

R41GSB

Reaction score
I know I'm late with a suggestion here, but I'm surprised no one has said K Mastersounds yet! I traded for a pair recently and they sound like exactly what you're describing--dark with a strong "chick" because of the crimped bottom hat. They're not super heavy, but definitely on the heavier side so there isn't much slosh.

Kln_BC

Reaction score
I've always wanted a pair of 14" K Mastersound hats for exactly what you describe....just can't pay full price for a second pair of hats and none have come up lol.

lcondo123

Reaction score
I've thrown my 15" 50's Zildjian A hi-hat top over my black label 15" 2002 SE bottom before, which is a COOL combo. Sounds like you've found what you were looking for, but give that combination a run just for the hell of it. Worth the fun!

Latest posts