Hats that are dark and low pitched, but crisp and quick?

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've thrown my 15" 50's Zildjian A hi-hat top over my black label 15" 2002 SE bottom before, which is a COOL combo. Sounds like you've found what you were looking for, but give that combination a run just for the hell of it. Worth the fun!
Actually I did try that exact combo a few months ago! It was just too brash for my purposes. But if someone is looking for more cut through a loud band, that would be a great choice.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I already have some big thin hats for the classic sloshy deep sound; I was wondering if there are any sets out there that may be smaller and “chunkier”, for a quick cutting funk sound, but still at a low pitch and an overall dark tone?
Paiste Dark Energy top over a Paiste Signature Medium bottom.
13's will be quicker than 14's.
This can lead to a fairly "resonant" sounding set of hats, though, but they slosh and chirp real nice.
If you need a more solid sound, you could go with the Dark Crisp bottom instead.
Much heavier, but it takes the "resonance" out of the sound. In 13" form, the slosh will become clangy. Works better in 14" form.
The DE top "classes" everything up, and its added darkness balances out the inherit brightness of the Signature bottom quite nicely.

Elvis

Last edited:

SteveB

DFO Master
Reaction score
Not looking for slosh with this set. I’ve got slosh well covered with other sets. I do love the 50’s A sound, I have them in 14 and 15, but I’m hoping to find something with more crisp chick. I have a 2002 Sound Edge in 15, but it’s very bright.

I was just now listening to videos of the Paiste Sig Dark Crisp hats, and it seems like they’re dark relative to Paiste, but pretty bright to my ear. Anyone able to confirm if that’s their experience?
Try using the 2002 on the bottom and something considerably lighter on top. I have a rippled 505 I use like this...every pair has a chick now.

tarocco

Reaction score
One more vote for Bosphorus Traditional Dark. I have a super light set of 13's that fit your description perfectly.

Reactions: JDA

Old Dog

Reaction score
I nearly pulled the trigger on these a while back. Liked ALL the vids I saw, until I watched/listened to one I didn't. The rest of the cymbals had no decay. The mic job made everything sound like pie pans. TOTALLY turned me off. I'll simply have to try, and see them live before buying them.

Soulfinger

Reaction score
I nearly pulled the trigger on these a while back. Liked ALL the vids I saw, until I watched/listened to one I didn't. The rest of the cymbals had no decay. The mic job made everything sound like pie pans. TOTALLY turned me off. I'll simply have to try, and see them live before buying them.
Definitely check them out in person. Just tried them (again) today and they are, IMHO of course, totally over-the-top dry. I like dry (I have Zildjian K Custom Special Drys, a Sabian Pandora and others), but these are no longer dry - these are dead.

On topic, the Zildjian K Custom Special Dry hats fit the description, and while I´m not a Meinl fan, I have to admit the 14" Extra Dry Medium hats are really good.

Drum Gear Review

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Crescent Hammertones as well. Almost forgot about these. I thought these hats were so beautiful. They almost stayed with me. Very much in line with the sound you're describing in my opinion.