Have a bunch of gear to sell, just can't be bothered anymore.

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a bunch of gear to sell; parts, cymbals, do-dads and such, maybe a snare or two, but when I think about the amount of aggravation entailed, messaging, tire kicking, lowballing, disappearing acts, shipping quotes, packing, shipping.....I just say the hell with it. I can't be bothered anymore.

Wondering if anyone can relate?

cplueard

Reaction score
I feel you. I've got absolutely tons of gear, enough to put multiple sets and orphans together but it's just so tiring. Had a dude message saying he wanted to buy it all and asked price. I only wanted $500 and he tried to lowball it down to $300, he didn't even play or understand any of the value in it. I wanna sell, but I just don't wanna bother either.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat, luckily I don't have much left that I don't consider "Keepers" or at least at the moment, every time I've sold something I remind myself what a pain it is, and that is with almost 100% great buyers, mostly here of course. Most of my ebay deals have been great with the exception of one return, even then the buyer was decent about the deal, but still just too much work and I've never really made out, even on stuff I bought cheap and thought I could possibly flip for a little profit I still ended up breaking even most of the time.

drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a bunch of gear to sell; parts, cymbals, do-dads and such, maybe a snare or two, but when I think about the amount of aggravation entailed, messaging, tire kicking, lowballing, disappearing acts, shipping quotes, packing, shipping.....I just say the hell with it. I can't be
I have a bunch of gear to sell; parts, cymbals, do-dads and such, maybe a snare or two, but when I think about the amount of aggravation entailed, messaging, tire kicking, lowballing, disappearing acts, shipping quotes, packing, shipping.....I just say the hell with it. I can't be bothered anymore.

Wondering if anyone can relate?
Consignment may be easier

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Everyday....

Torn between listing all my 60s Rogers stuff "come and get it" or all my Tama stuff "come and get it" or both...

Feel like I'm suffocating at times. Can't even set up my recordimg gear because....there is too much "other" gear in the way...

Then there is the 6.5" of rain we got two weeks or so ago.... My basement becomes a scene out of "A River Runs Through It."

*sigh*

On a lighter note...I just bought two rde cymbals. At least they are flat...

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Feel like I'm suffocating at times. Can't even set up my recording gear because....there is too much "other" gear in the way...
On a lighter note...I just bought two ride cymbals. At least they are flat...
Best line of the week!

Over the past couple of years, I've sold probably close to a dozen kits and what felt like a metric ton of hardware and cymbals (giggle). Almost all of the deals flowed through this site. Once I had the boxes (moving company) and packing material (stray feral cats), it was relatively simple. The pics and descriptions were a pain, but without them ... well ... sort of tough to make a sell.
All in all ... not too bad.
I'd do it again if the mood strikes.

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
I lucked into two big Pearl fiberglass kits on Monday , so now I have to decide what to do with all my other stuff - a sizeable assortment of pro-level orphans and one complete mid 70's Slingerland kit and three snares and a Yamaha Stage custom kit .

It won't leave me alone this gear curse .

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've got 3 kits, two of which are vintage, about a dozen snare drums, hardware, cymbals, etc, etc, to sell. I've gotten as far as taking pictures of the majority of all this "stuff", but, for now, that's where it ends! At 65 years old, it now takes me forever to write up descriptions, post information, answer questions, etc. It's just such a PITA!

Here's an example. I recently sold a really nice Panasonic Laser Disc player and 6 movies on CL for $100. Constant texting back and forth. The seller wanted to meet at a Starbucks and test the player. Seriously?!! He didn't want to come to my house for security reasons. I get that! I ended up hooking the player up to a small LCD TV and making a 30 second video showing that it worked and messaged it to him. He was convinced and we met at a local McDonald's so I could get my whopping $100 for all this work!!

-Mark

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Many of us in the same boat
old cases, old stands, paper, catalogs, magazines, CDs, sticks, sticks, sticks, spare parts, bagged 20 years ago, drum books,

What I would like is a room. I imagine an empty clean warehouse room where I could take everything and then seperate and pick what I need to keep.

wait that's what Hawthorne Drum Shop is for right?

The world has gone electric and I/we have paper catalogs books 'n magazines..
Solution is Youth.

Need Young seller and traders to take this accumulated overflow of 40-50 years.
Just get it outta here. And make a buck on it.

bkny110

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have 3 kits to sell plus a bunch of stuff. I shudder at the thought of packing, shipping and getting far less than I paid for them. 2 of them are on ebay. One more to list. Endless questions and lowball and retracted offers. I think some people just love to f*** with sellers.

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a stock of Yamaha gear from the switch to DW.

Not even the rarest one of a kind items gaining traction, nor bulk buying.

I tried selling a 6,5 Craviotto and got offers in the range of 350... I also had one sale here that went very ugly. Luckily my insurance company took over as Paypal wasn't of ANY help. Needless to say, I don't use PP anymore).

Totally feeling you. The downside is, I do need to get rid of it. Just not for crazy offers or gear ending up with unfaithful/unhelpful people.

amosguy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Just when I sold off a bunch of odds and ends, and was stopping doing major restorations, 3 sets fell into my lap in a couple of weeks time. Wheel, deal, restore and all have since gone down the road. One local, 2 internationally. Did make profit this time, but more of a hobby for restorations. And can't stand to see abused shells tossed.......

Oh, and I still have "stuff" that needs moving down the road! But you never know when it will come in handy.

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a stock of Yamaha gear from the switch to DW.

Not even the rarest one of a kind items gaining traction, nor bulk buying.

I tried selling a 6,5 Craviotto and got offers in the range of 350... I also had one sale here that went very ugly. Luckily my insurance company took over as Paypal wasn't of ANY help. Needless to say, I don't use PP anymore).

Totally feeling you. The downside is, I do need to get rid of it. Just not for crazy offers or gear ending up with unfaithful/unhelpful people.
sidetrack.... when did you switch and why ? I remember you as a huge Yamaha guy, don't know if you had a endorsement

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
About a month ago I decided to unload all of my e-drum components that were just taking up space in my basement. I preferred to get rid of it all at once so I contacted an online shop that deals primarily with e-drums to inquire about consignment. The owner wasn't very good about following up so I decided to split everything up and put it on CL. I've had good luck with CL in the past but was reluctant to take on the issues that sometimes accompany this option. Much to my surprise, I sold everything at my asking price in only 4 days. The key was to provide accurate and detailed descriptions with photos, respond promptly to inquiries, and price everything reasonably. I had only 3 buyers, and each bought more than they originally intended because my gear was well cared for and priced reasonably. I probably could've gotten more money but my goal was to sell everything quickly. I immediately used the money to outfit my acoustic kit with a full set of Zildjian A's.

markrocks68

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi all
If anyone has a old WFL kit from the 50's or a Peacock Sparkle or Fiesta Pearl kit I'm the guy so PM me!
Thanks!

Piggpenn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't think most of you know me but the ones that do will agree I've rivaled the brick and mortars with my collection of drum and guitar gear.

I finally bit the bullet and got on the selling band wagon.

Trust me, it's a lot of work but it's paying off.

I started with big stuff like drum sets, snare drums, odd and end stands, drum heads and cymbals.

Doing it all at once is overwhelming. I did it in stages. Once you get rolling and have some success the drive to succeed becomes your motivator. Then you get a pattern to your marketing.

In just about 3 months time since I started cleaning house, I've 5 star delivered over 31 transactions and sold almost $7000.00 in gear that may have gotten used once in a while or is just sitting taking up space and causing me to move things around when I need something. That got real old.

I'm delivering gear to all corners of the US. Cali to Florida to Connecticut to Portland. Shipping is the real Beotch. Expect to lose money with shipping or if you market correctly and the right buyer comes along, it's usually a decent transaction. I've taken hits a few times while starting out since I had to learn as I go.

I would be happy to answer any question about getting started or after you start your marketing I don't mind if you need help.

If you want to check out my site or even buy something go here.... https://reverb.com/shop/bishs-beat-barn

Dave HCV

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If you really need to get rid of gear and if you don't need the money, give it away. I'm sure there are schools or churches that would love to have equipment for their music programs.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Trades with DFO members are good, unless you really need to thin stuff out..

Can always take to Guitar Center or Music Go Round....but you won’t
make as much.

yetanotherdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Last year at this time I had 5 drum sets, now I have 3.

I was able to sell a 1996 Ludwig set to Guitar Center at a profit, and a 1970's Slingerland set at break-even.

No hassle, and I knew the check wouldn't bounce!

I am really thinking about selling one other set, because I really don't need 3 drums sets.