Have a bunch of gear to sell, just can't be bothered anymore.

bob

DFO Master
Reaction score
i sold a boat load of stuff in the last 3 yrs.
i'm down to 2 sets , a couple orphans , and 5 snares ....
my orphans are a 24'' 70's camco bass drum and a 12'' camco 70's tom that will be up for sale soon .....

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
sidetrack.... when did you switch and why ? I remember you as a huge Yamaha guy, don't know if you had a endorsement
Switched finally last year. After 26 years it was time for something new and what I felt, more fitting.

I didn't have a deal but worked closely with and for them.

Johnny K

Reaction score
The key to sales is to be paitient and not care if you don't ever sell it. A fellow DFO'er bought a spash cymbal from me recently just by reading an off hand comment I made about the cymbal in a post to a post in a thread in the Cymbal forum. The lesson is someone will always buy what your selling...eventually. Incidentially, I may want to get rid of a Martin HD28V. I have 2 of them. A 2008 175th Anniverary and a 2017 model.

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
High fees and shipping costs have turned me off of ebay, but I've sold a few things here and on Reverb. But surprisingly I've had good luck with local Craigslist. There's hardly ever anything besides beginner stuff listed in my area, so when you put up something nice at a reasonable price you're bound to get some response.

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Totally with you Nacci. It's just such a hassle now. Fees, shipping, boxing, looky loos, etc.

polycrescendo

Reaction score
I wish I could find a deserving whipper snapper who needs some of my old gear. I'd donate most of my older stuff if I knew that it would be used and wouldn't be left in a garage to rust away for 20 years. Same problem, it's just not worth the time to list it all. Maybe a mystery box? I'd buy a Nacci mystery box.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I wish I could find a deserving whipper snapper who needs some of my old gear. I'd donate most of my older stuff if I knew that it would be used and wouldn't be left in a garage to rust away for 20 years. Same problem, it's just not worth the time to list it all. Maybe a mystery box? I'd buy a Nacci mystery box.
Here's a current picture of me ... I give you my word ... I will play the heck out of those.

smiling-child.jpg

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don’t trust Craigslist, and I don’t want to risk dealing with crazy folks. So I’d rather ship.
I've been very fortunate in that everyone I've sold to on CL were great folks! I know there are lots of shady people out there. Maybe I've been lucky as I mostly sell vintage drums, stereo equipment and computers, which seem to attract like-minded people!

-Mark

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Haha! I know what you mean. I have a ton of stuff, too. I keep thinking I will somehow put the doo dads together to make a useful thingamajig, but it never happens...

komodobob

DFO Master
Reaction score
Patience is key here. I had a ton of gear 5 years ago. I had 60 plus snares and a doz or so kits, along with stands (parts) and cymbals coming out the wazoo. Slowly I started selling a few snares here, a kit there, along with some cymbals and hardware. Three years later, 90% of it was gone, with that money going into my kids 529 college saving fund.
Most everything went via ebay and reverb, with some being sold at drum shows. Drum show sales didn't bring as much, but it was cash in Hip Pocket National Bank and Trust.

Peterk256

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I was in a similar situation until several months ago. I finally began to list stuff and managed to unload close to $2700 worth of gear between Reverb and eBay. That gave me the justification to buy a new Ludwig Classic Maple kit and still had money left over. You just have to carve out the time to list a few things, then the bug will really hit you. Kind of the reverse of GAS.

lcondo123

Reaction score
...allow me to introduce myself! I'm Luke. Full time college student and fuller time vintage drum nerd. Need a lawn cut? Groceries bought? I can help you out... :icon_lol:

AJMcHardy

Reaction score
If you're not in a huge hurry, I've had more success and a boat load less hassle responding to gear wanted posts on forums/facebook groups.
I've got a stash of stuff I no longer want and I'm just chipping at it.
If there out looking for it you know they're motivated and I've found it pretty easy to set prices and work out postage without anyone losing their mind.
Sold a Gretsch branded suspension mount a couple of weeks ago in about 5 minutes flat. Payed for and posted by lunch the next day.

m_anderson

Reaction score
I absolutely agree. I have tons of stuff here, or at least I did. The aggravation of trying to sell the stuff isn't worth it. I have a guitar player friend I have worked with for years who opened a school and it's doing pretty well. So now I donate old hardware and stuff that is laying around. They even requested my used heads and sticks since they have a lot of really young students. My old sticks are usually still in pretty good shape, so it works out well for them. Otherwise, I have some snare drums I'd like to sell, but I just don't feel like messing with it. In fact, it's one of the reasons I joined this forum; to possibly sell some stuff. I will not mess around with eBay, Reverb and the likes. I have found that good forums are the best place to sell stuff and hopefully it will find a good home. I have five TAMA Exotix snare drums from about fifteen years ago that have never been played: The African King, Hawaiian Thunder, Dark Continent, Vulcanic and Midnight Storm. All beautiful 14 x 6.5 bubinga LE snare drums. Maybe I'll list them here one day.

Neal Pert

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The whole thing has become so tiresome for me. It's hit me at the buying level, too-- I saw an incredibly sweet kit that I've wanted since I was a teenager and the price was good. But I just thought, "Meh."

Maybe we should start a thread of all the things we want to get rid of and see what's sitting around unsold.

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I've been avoiding selling to individuals too. I have sold several things lately to GC, and traded for new gear on occasion too. I've found it to get me about 30% to 40% less than I would hope to get from eBay - and that's not counting eBay fees, shipping time and cost, etc. Not having to deal with buyer drama or spend one second more time with it once I walk out with my money - Priceless.

Latest posts