Have a fav 3x13 snare?

Zeroesque

Reaction score
Looking to add a 3x13 to the studio collection.

The parameters should closely follow:
- NOT made in China/Taiwan
- Probably should be a well-known brand, at least among drummers
- Can be any material
- Doesn't necessarily need a wide tuning range
- Used or new, under $500 (already have a few $1000+ snares so this need not be a "holy grail" type of centerpiece)
- I'm not particularly comfortable with the sideways lugs on some of the short Ludwigs or MIJ Tamas that always seem to rotate under tension
- As a drummer, you should be somewhat excited to pull this thing off the shelf to try it out

I had a Pearl M1330 that sounded good and filled the intended role, but it just didn't have any "wow" factor and sat on the shelf unless I set it up.

I'm leaning toward waiting for a Ludwig LB553 to pop up but I was curious if anyone has any other ideas.

Whatcha think?

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Looking to add a 3x13 to the studio collection.

- I'm not particularly comfortable with the sideways lugs on some of the short Ludwigs...
If you add a "t" to the end of that Ludwig model number, it will opt for tube lugs....like mine....

13x3 Ludwig Classic Maple with a "March 1998" build date stamped inside.
It came with a Coated Weathermaster Medium, but it now wears an Attack! coated 1-ply.

Elvis

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Reverb also has a 13x3 Ludwig Rocker Elite for a very good price. Appears in good condition, too.
Rocker Elite was eventually renamed "Classic Birch" and featured a 7 ply / 7mm shell.

Elvis

p83

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Reverb also has a 13x3 Ludwig Rocker Elite for a very good price. Appears in good condition, too.
Rocker Elite was eventually renamed "Classic Birch" and featured a 7 ply / 7mm shell.

Elvis
DO NOT look past this drum. they are cheap and sound great.

rsq911

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have two, both Ludwig, a 3x13 classic maple and a 3x13 engraved black beauty.

The maple is from 93, in natural maple, with a 80’s twin channel die cast batter hoop, pure sound wires, and remo renaissance emperor batter. It is awesome! Cuts like a firecracker and is very warm.

The black beauty is NOS unplayed.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have two of them - the Ludwig rocker 3x13 in maple (see link above - it's an import), which I refinished in a red mahogany, with a few coats of satin poly both on the outside, the edge and inside. I also added die casts to clean up the sound and really focus it. Very nice for what it is and the price ($75 shipped). I have regular triple flange hoops on it now, though, because.......

My other 3x13 is an ugly, UGLY Black Beauty piccolo - wow! It can be mid-tuned and sounds like a 5x14 and also can be highly tuned with a tight crack and nice brass ring. It was a throwaway drum and I bought it for parts as the shell was very badly damaged. I took the die casts off the Rocker snare to help reinforce the shell and tone down the ring a little and it is a definitely a keeper. I'd gig it anywhere anytime........for $89 shipped....the sleeper steal of the year for me!

Zeroesque

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions, all. Does anyone know the difference between an LC-555 and a Rocker Elite, then? Is there a "plain" Rocker that should be avoided?

Thanks!

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I think an LC-555 is the old 6 ply "Classic" shell.
So, it would be thicker than the Elite (9.5mm vs. 7mm) and its construction is Maple/Poplar/Maple, while Rocker Elite's are either Birch/Poplar/Birch, or 100% Birch.
I don't recall a "plain" Rocker snare drum that was 13x3.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
The LC-555 is a USA made drum with the normal 6 ply maple. The Rocker is 3x13 and an import shell. Not sure of makeup but I have one and it is likely maple and basswood and lower quality. Not sure how many plies. The parts are fine although I don't like the butt and switched out for a P32 with some modding of the throw. The throw of the import is like the Gibraltar piccolo throw but the USA maple has the better P80 throw (see picture). The import is a decent drum for what it is and what I paid, but it was really hard to strip the poly finish. I've never seen or played a USA version live. And I've never heard of a rocker Elite Piccolo snare that size. Just the black/white badged one I have.
Screenshot_20200608-075900.png

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
The LC-555 is a USA made drum with the normal 6 ply maple. The Rocker is 3x13 and an import shell. Not sure of makeup but I have one and it is likely maple and basswood and lower quality. Not sure how many plies. The parts are fine although I don't like the butt and switched out for a P32 with some modding of the throw. The throw of the import is like the Gibraltar piccolo throw but the USA maple has the better P80 throw (see picture). The import is a decent drum for what it is and what I paid, but it was really hard to strip the poly finish. I've never seen or played a USA version live. And I've never heard of a rocker Elite Piccolo snare that size. Just the black/white badged one I have.
View attachment 445699
...but you have to be careful with the Rocker Elite, because that's when they changed the shell.
It was originally Birch/Poplar, but about halfway through its existence it became a 100% Birch shell.
I don't know if one can tell by looking at the shell, but about a year after the change in shell the Rocker Elite became the Classic Birch.
I don't recall a regular Rocker 13x3. so it could be that the "...Elite" version was made in-house the whole time.

Elvis

Last edited:

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
I double checked - mine is the Elite.....sorry.......thanks, Elvis!

Ludwig LRS313EC: "Ludwig Rocker Elite snare drums have maple shells and offer a nice solid crack. These snare drums feature 10 Classic series tuning lugs, triple flanged hoops, natural maple finish, Rocker snare strainer, and a coated white batter drumhead."

Here is a 2013 DFO thread which says basswood with an inner ply of maple:

This place says it's all maple with 10 lugs, which is wrong since it's only 8 lugs:

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Yeah, I was just looking in some old catalogue scans and was surprised to see Rocker Elite mentioned as Maple inner and outer plies too.
At some point in time, those Maple plies became Birch. I remember seeing a bunch of literature mentioning that (none of which I've been able to find online....of course), and the fact remains, the Rocker Elite eventually became the Classic Birch because it already using the 100% Birch shell.

Zeroesque

Reaction score
Pearl Maple 3x13 piccolo.
Totally agreed for a personal stable of snares. Underrated drum. I had one that sounded great and they can be found used for a third of the new price quite often. Only issue was that pretty much no one but me ever pulled it down off the shelf, so it didn't "add" to my small studio collection the way all of the other snares do.

20190729_184322.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts