Have any of you met Ringo?

Ludwig26

Reaction score
In the early 90's I got to meet every famous &well known drummer who toured Australia &did clinics at Drum Tek,
I had lots of photo opportunities & conversations even dinner &free tickets to gigs I e. Madonna Michael Jackson Prince,
Sadly due to a bush fire I lost ALL of my photos posters,
BUT in 2018 I got to meet have a chin wag yack n yarn with my ALL TIME FAVORITE drum hero Jason Bonham,
I was both & surprised how small he is compared to his oldman,
We shared a private conversation about alcoholism,
He opened up&it was both moving& touching.In the 70's i through my aunties boyfriend who's "in the biz" got free tickets to each&every major international touring band that played in Melbourne.I got to meet the "who's who" of musicians not just drummers.I recall/remember a riot at Festival Hall in '76 when played Cozy Powell gave me a pair of his drumsticks ,
I used to know Phil Rudd well.

evolving_machine

Reaction score
I was in the room with Ringo one time. Back on August 1st, 1971 at about 2:30 in the afternoon. However, I was only one of 20,000 people in that same room (Madison Square Garden) as him. It was the concert for Bangladesh. Unfortunately, I was one of the ignorant people that applauded when Ravi Shankar finished tuning. Well, I was only a 16 year old at the time and into Pink Floyd's psychedelic rock sound at that time.

dale w miller

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
don't speak to Ringo....it rubbed me the wrong way, but, I can only imagine what its like to be a Beatle...

There are stars and then there are stars of stars.

My friend was in the same situation when he was in the sole opening band for U2. They played 17 shows with them and didn’t once meet them. What the…..

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
At the start of Ep. 3 of “Get Back,” there’s a long segment of Ringo waiting for his band mates to arrive. While I was on my couch 50 years later, I genuinely felt Ringo’s boredom as we stared at the ceiling (literally), smoked, stared vacantly and brooded. Two minds as one!

Attachments

• 5F0CCE43-922C-4232-A924-CF84E25D048C.jpeg
    5F0CCE43-922C-4232-A924-CF84E25D048C.jpeg
    37.8 KB · Views: 14

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
There are stars and then there are stars of stars.

My friend was in the same situation when he was in the sole opening band for U2. They played 17 shows with them and didn’t once meet them. What the…..

My sister played with Ray Charles ten zillion years back, and NOBODY spoke to Ray. I suppose it gets tiresome to hear “wow, you’re so great! (Blah blah blah, etc.)” and with someone always wanting to get a headline, you would rather be known for what you do onstage.

John DeChristopher

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the early 90's I got to meet every famous &well known drummer who toured Australia &did clinics at Drum Tek,
I had lots of photo opportunities & conversations even dinner &free tickets to gigs I e. Madonna Michael Jackson Prince,
Sadly due to a bush fire I lost ALL of my photos posters,
BUT in 2018 I got to meet have a chin wag yack n yarn with my ALL TIME FAVORITE drum hero Jason Bonham,
I was both & surprised how small he is compared to his oldman,
We shared a private conversation about alcoholism,
He opened up&it was both moving& touching.In the 70's i through my aunties boyfriend who's "in the biz" got free tickets to each&every major international touring band that played in Melbourne.I got to meet the "who's who" of musicians not just drummers.I recall/remember a riot at Festival Hall in '76 when played Cozy Powell gave me a pair of his drumsticks ,
I used to know Phil Rudd well.
Jason is a good soul. I never met his dad, but I believe Jason is taller than his dad. I believe Bonzo was around 5'7"? I put Jason around 5'9" or 5'10".

E416B347-7186-4282-B679-6A35B25DE2AB_1_105_c.jpeg

Gotdrums

3rd most viewed drummer online
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I .met his drums in Nov 2021 at PASIC. The acrylic glass wouldn't let me get a selfiie with them.
20211111_142946.jpg
20211111_142857.jpg
20211111_142857.jpg

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, but ...

My wife's grandmother was a good friend of Ringo's mum in Birkenhead .

steambent

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
A buddy that use to own a vintage record shop was at a party and he got to meet Pete Best, it was planned as Pete was getting paid to sign some records. They even had an old set of Beverlys or Olympics there for him to play but Pete declined. This was in the 80s.

GeneZ

DFO Master
Reaction score
Grew up in NY.. now, Georgia -NW of Atlanta
A buddy that use to own a vintage record shop was at a party and he got to meet Pete Best, it was planned as Pete was getting paid to sign some records. They even had an old set of Beverlys or Olympics there for him to play but Pete declined. This was in the 80s.

Well for "Pete's" sake!

Why can't we get it right?

Ringo was really "Best" for the Beatles!

:study: ..... right here! Page 41. 3rd paragraph . Line2 !

Gotdrums

3rd most viewed drummer online
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not to rain on anyone's parade but those don't appear to be any of Ringo's actual drums. Wrongs spurs on the bass drum and wrong leg mounts on the floor tom.
Opps......I posted the wrong pics. That fake ringo kit was a set that anyone could get behind and play at will. It did have many things wrong that made it not even close to a real ringo kit. Of course PASIC didn't want anyone playing the real kit behind the glass. Steve Maxwell and I stood together talking about the real (pics below), and demo kit for over an hour. It was surreal to me to be talking one on one with Steve Maxwell. The man is the ultimate in drum knowledge.
20211111_142950.jpg
20211111_143004.jpg
20211111_142939.jpg

Last edited: