Have we reached peak matte?

hefty

DFO Master
Reaction score
Feels like matte finishes are pretty trendy right now. Like we're at peak matte. I used to find matte finishes on drums super boring but now like them (guess I follow the trends). Anyway, anyone else notice how popular matte finishes are?

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Feels like matte finishes are pretty trendy right now. Like we're at peak matte. I used to find matte finishes on drums super boring but now like them (guess I follow the trends). Anyway, anyone else notice how popular matte finishes are?
Haven't really paid much attention to this, but I will say that I've always preferred gloss to matte!!

-Mark

Joe A

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Glad I went with satin poly on this bass drum refinish I'm working on! It suits the wood, anyway (a nice grade of lauan I think).

cozy4ever

Reaction score
No preference here as long as it's a nice solid color...just not a fan of custom wrappings, glitter, Tequila Vistalite etc.

gwbasley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Back in the 60's guys would build a Street Rod but run out of money for a good paint job, but anyone could shoot flat black primer. That must be why I always have associated flat or matte finishes with "cheap". I think somebody saw those low-budget Hot Rods and thought it would be retro or trendy to copy the look...now it's everywhere and it does not appeal to me.

hefty

DFO Master
Reaction score
It's not just drums-- i've noticed a lot of my favorite local microbrews come in matte cans now.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Have we reached peak matt? Oh, man, I hope so. Like Mr. Basley, I've always associated a deep, glossy finish with quality and price. Now that I've done my share of woodworking, building furniture, and refinishing classic cars, my understanding of what it takes to produce a hi-quality glossy finish has multiplied.

And flat or matt black in any drum application is, to me, atrocious.

GeeDeeEmm

AustinFitz

Reaction score
Have we reached peak matt? Oh, man, I hope so. Like Mr. Basley, I've always associated a deep, glossy finish with quality and price. Now that I've done my share of woodworking, building furniture, and refinishing classic cars, my understanding of what it takes to produce a hi-quality glossy finish has multiplied.

And flat or matt black in any drum application is, to me, atrocious.

GeeDeeEmm
Same for me. I see so many drums these days (especially ones with beautiful wood grains) that just look unfinished to me because of the matte clear coat. Different strokes for different folks I guess, but matte finishes do seem to be absolutely everywhere now.

Moonman

Reaction score
I didn't realize the matte craze had hit drums, too. The horror. Man, I sound like a grumpy old man...

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Same for me. I see so many drums these days (especially ones with beautiful wood grains) that just look unfinished to me because of the matte clear coat. Different strokes for different folks I guess, but matte finishes do seem to be absolutely everywhere now.
Are you talking about “satin oil “ ?

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Its going on with guitars too. I recently bought a new Charvel San Dimas Pro Mod tele, and it is matte red finish. Looks pretty cool in person.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've never liked the matte finish. I normally refinish drums in a satin finish which is a little shinier than matte. Although I am not a huge fan of gloss finishes either, it depends on the wood/grain. I also prefer glass glitter over sparkle..........but tasteful colors only. Finally, I have yet to have a fuzzy purple kit, but I've been inspired by Zen's post!

Latest posts