Have you ever beaten a cymbal to death?

JohnnyVibesAZ

Reaction score
From about '68 to 73", I had a pair of 14" Zildjian hi-hats, I played them a lot in high school, college, and gigs. There were not today's variety of models offered back then. Just "14" Hi-Hats" was stamped on the top cymbal. I could tell the weight of the top cymbal was thin, but not too thin. I was never a heavy-handed drummer, but in the last year I had the pair, the top had lost all of its grooves, and became shiny; almost brilliant, by today's standards. Also, the sound had changed from musical to my mom's frying pan lid! I didn't think they sold just top hi-hat cymbals back then, so I traded them in for a pair of New Beats. I'd like to hear your story. Did your cymbals change that drastically over time?

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
No ...........

But I watched over a year or so as my nephew utterly destroyed a really nice little 16" K Zildjian thin crash; I had helped him pick out this cymbal at the old Jack's Drum Shop in Boston. I really tried to steer him towards a more "robust" crash (which was more in keeping with his choice of material at the time). But that thin K just sounded so GOOD at the store ............. !

M.

Geardaddy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This didn't happen to me, but back in the 90's I used to fill in as the house sound guy at a club that featured a 10 piece R&B house band. One night when I showed up to run sound I noticed that the garbage can in the band dressing room had a big pile of cracked Zildjian cymbals in it and there were all new cymbals on the drum kit. When the drummer showed up I asked him what happened to all his cymbals and he told me that he usually had to replace all of his cymbals every 3-4 months because they would all be cracked. i knew he was a hard hitter, but that seemed a bit excessive. However, he managed to crack one of his brand new crash cymbals in the first set that night. I guess he wasn't exaggerating about his replacement schedule.

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
Oh yes - more than a few crash cymbals have met their demise at my hands...

Cliff DeArment

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The only cymbal I ever killed was an Elton. Yes, on purpose. Worst cymbal in the world. Oh, what a happy day! :hello1:

Corbin L Douthitt

Reaction score
From about '68 to 73", I had a pair of 14" Zildjian hi-hats, I played them a lot in high school, college, and gigs. There were not today's variety of models offered back then. Just "14" Hi-Hats" was stamped on the top cymbal. I could tell the weight of the top cymbal was thin, but not too thin. I was never a heavy-handed drummer, but in the last year I had the pair, the top had lost all of its grooves, and became shiny; almost brilliant, by today's standards. Also, the sound had changed from musical to my mom's frying pan lid! I didn't think they sold just top hi-hat cymbals back then, so I traded them in for a pair of New Beats. I'd like to hear your story. Did your cymbals change that drastically over time?
I didn’t beat them to death, but had to play them as a house kit. Stagecoach- in Ft Worth- dance hall. House had a beat up kit, looked to be painted with a brush. The bass may have been ludwig, but the badge was almost totally obscured with paint. Cymbals were bent, warped and keyholed. Not certain they weren’t just brass- not even B8. Trash can lids have more tone. They didn’t even have any sustain! Just clank! But, it was mic’d up. I brought stick bag and snare in. Left the snare in the bag. This is a country venue. Young lady about 12-13 approaches the lead singer- asks if we play any ‘ Rap’. Jerry turns his Stetson sideways on his head and says with a big grin, “ Naw, honey, we don’t play no Rap! Ya cain’t dance to it. “

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a bunch of early 80's A's. When I want to play to a "Rage" tune, or just feel like smashing, I beat the snot out of em.
In the case was a 22 Trans Stamp. Luckily before I started beating them, I found out that was a sought after cymbal

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’ve only cracked an 18” 2002 .
I’ve had the 1st Zildjian I bought in 87
16 “ thin crash still as good as new .
And I have put it through the paces .
I don’t even bother with other brands anymore .

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Cymbals (A Zildjians) that are 'beat to death (and not cracked in the process) say over 17 years...' die a slow death... and they always seem to have another...12 years in them.
I still have my A hi hats from ( and they were "used" then)... 1968/69....

They are beat down but NOT out.... It's a S L O W death (not cracking) just beating on them. They live on and on and. Wood on Bronze -if played fair- bronze wins. Bronze with outlast a wood stick if played fair..

Last edited:

jb78

Reaction score
As a teenager in the 90s, I loved chinas and splashes. I literally destroyed them all!

JohnnyVibesAZ

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. I guess I wasn't very clear in my post. Like you, I meant "wearing out" a cymbal over time, and not breaking it! I also use wood sticks exclusively, especially oak, which I suppose can be "harder" on the cymbal.

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yes. Been there done that.
I loved this crash but the keyholing was just too much.

View attachment 450156
Btw. That is (was) one of the first run 18" k custom session models. The Steve Gadd crash.

:whax::whax::whax:

I tried hammering the bell a little bit to "darken it up".

I didn't do so well. So now it....' is hung above my workbench with care in hopes that Saint CymbalSanta will soon be there'