Have you ever seen Ludwig spurs like these?

scaramanga

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The owner of this drum insists it's from the late 60s, MPM clear interior shell. Does this seem possible?

Luddy kick.jpg

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Hard to see for sure but that looks like a regular Ludwig Disappearing spur. Ludwig had two kinds of spurs that were physically installed on the drum. This type and the fold out style. Most catalog outfits were shown with the fold outs but you could order either style and this type was used on the Jazzette, Club Dates, and Standard drums. They could be specified for other sets.

scaramanga

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hard to see for sure but that looks like a regular Ludwig Disappearing spur. Ludwig had two kinds of spurs that were physically installed on the drum. This type and the fold out style. Most catalog outfits were shown with the fold outs but you could order either style and this type was used on the Jazzette, Club Dates, and Standard drums. They could be specified for other sets.
But these aren't curved. That's what I'm confused about.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
The curved spurs were introduced around 1969 replacing the fold out style. The straight style were introduced in the 1950s and remained in the catalogs at least through the 1970s.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What size is that drum?
The Club Date came with disappearing spurs... but that's not what type of drum you have.
They did sell disappearing spurs in the "Accessories" section of the catalog though...

Spurs.JPG

Club Date.JPG

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's um....ahem.....a 26". And my hands are starting to shake.
well there's the answer to your question..
26" probably had to be special/order/made and spur wasn't specified/ on the order sheet/ so the worker just threw on/the default/ what was at hand/ and cheapest)

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It's um....ahem.....a 26". And my hands are starting to shake.
Yes... I thought that it looked like a bigger shell.
I was a bit curious as to the placement of the spurs, but for a 26" that looks appropriate and looking at the pic with JHB confirms it.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Just to add to it ...
The Ludwig Standard line also used those style spurs (as did the little Jazzette bass).

Standard.JPG

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
26" bass wasn't part of any cataloged outfit so you'd order it off the bass drum page of the catalog. That was just a bass drum so for set use you'd have to decide what kind of spurs and/or tom mount you wanted. Either spur style would work, during the keystone badge era most drummers would probably have considered the disappearing spur to be the "normal" style (slide into the bass drum when not in use as did most other brand's spurs). The curved spurs replaced the fold outs and further refined the idea a bit. The straight ones were also a bit cheaper.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
What was it about champagne sparkle and larger sizes? Most of the big bass drums from the 60's I have seen (24-26) have been champagne sparkle. I think it just must be coincidence for me. Still there are not a lot of Ludwig bass drums from the 60's larger than a 22". This drum looks awesome!

scaramanga

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
What was it about champagne sparkle and larger sizes? Most of the big bass drums from the 60's I have seen (24-26) have been champagne sparkle. I think it just must be coincidence for me. Still there are not a lot of Ludwig bass drums from the 60's larger than a 22". This drum looks awesome!
Really? I've been searching for one of these for years. Late 60s anyway.