Have you ever seen the Talking Heads perform?

p83

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
when they filmed the stop making sense movie, they did warm-up shows in seattle, portland, san francisco, and vancouver bc. then they went to los angeles for a week, filmed the movie, and finished the tour. i saw the seattle show and was so knocked out that we went to vancouver the next night and saw them again. went and saw the movie in a theater the first week it came out. i have a bootleg of the seattle show on cassette. saw them before this tour and after, and have seen david byrne several times including his amazing tour a year ago.

5 Style

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes I have... Only once in Maryland (at the great Merriweather Post Pavilion!). I feel like I really should have seen them more than once though as I'm a huge fan of the band. My mom was friendly with David Byrne's mom a bit before the band really broke. My mom introduced me to Byrne's mom who was really proud of her son and since my mom probably told her that I was a music fan she was gushing to me about David's group (his mom was their biggest fan!). Around the same time I heard their single "Take Me To the River," which I dug and between that and the fact that I had met the leader's mom (which was a big deal to my 13 year old self) meant that I had to buy the album (their 2nd) "More Songs About Buildings and Food." I really flipped for that one and even though I couldn't seem to get many of my friends into it (folks had pretty conservative taste), I became obsessed with it and eagerly awaited each new album...

My favorites are the Eno produced LPs, their 2nd through 4th albums. Their debut "77" album has a different vibe but is also good. I like bits of their later stuff as well but those early Heads albums are some of my favorite music by anyone...

The show I saw as great and was the same show as the one in the Stop Making Sense Film. As good as it was, I really wish that I had caught them a bit earlier for the tour that they did with a larger band and with Adrian Belew, which was a really amazing group. I did catch David Byrne some years later touring this very odd but cool project called "The Knee Plays," that was music originally written as segway pieces for a larger theatrical work by this guy Robert Wilson (Einstein on the Beach, maybe?)... it was scored for brass, though there's a drum set in it as well...

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Stop Making Sense tour early 80’s. I saw David Byrne’s latest tour, the one that is playing (opening?) on Broadway. Fantastic show!

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I remember seeing Stop Making Sense in a theater in Allentown PA. People treated it like a concert and were smoking pot and cheering in the movie theater, which was odd but ended up being really fun.

Talking Heads are one of my all-time favorite bands and I'm sad I never saw them live. I've seen David Byrne twice-- once in the 90s and once on the latest American Utopia tour. Both were great, but the new tour was mind-blowing. Videos don't do it justice. It's just an incredible thing to see. I've been pondering driving down to NYC to see it again. I went expecting it to feel like a tired legacy show but left understanding that a lot of the unconscious rules I live by regarding live music were really just conventions. Like, hey-- you don't need amps on stage! If you make everything wireless and mounted on a harness, you don't need ANY gear permanently on stage!

The fact that he employed a half dozen drummers on that tour was pretty great, too.

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
Their remain in light album to me was...and is...still unlike anything else I've ever heard.

For me though...their catalog hasn't aged well.

I think Byrne and Eno had an album called "I advance Masked" that was sort of a trail for the direction the heads took with remain in light.

nope-it was my life in the bush of ghosts... I advanced masked I think was an Andy Summers solo album (ah...old age)

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
February 6 will be the 36th anniversary of the Talking Heads' final concert -- which was in Christchurch, NZ.

They last performed at their 2002 Rock HoF induction.

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My dad saw them on the Stop Making Sense tour at the Cape Cod Coliseum, and he's long said that it was the best show that he's ever seen, and he's not even a huge Talking Heads fan, he's much more of a classic rock (Aerosmith, ABB, etc...) guy.

I'm much too young to have ever seen them, but I've watched Stop Making Sense a million times, along with their Rome show that's up on Youtube on the tour before Stop Making Sense. It's just amazingly good and has Adrian Belew on guitar.

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I also saw them for Stop Making Sense. Fantastic show and the movie more than does the tour justice. Only wish I could have seen the Remain in Light tour with Belew.

Roch

DFO Master
Reaction score
Saw them at a festival in Southern Ontario in ‘79?-80?. It was a punk festival and as I remember they came on with a big band, percussion, back up singers, etc. And played a lot of their World Sound music... they were booed....I was just happy to see them... I was on mushrooms all weekend so
Maybe it didn’t even happen...not sure...

the_dude

Possibly DFO's Worst Drummer
Reaction score
Saw them for $1 at the Paramount Theater in Seattle at one of the (I forget the radio station's name) Catch a Rising Star concerts in the late 70's.

Mackermanesq

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Saw them three or four times. Great every time. Best though was seeing the big band for the first time, doing I Zimbra in soundcheck in August 1980

SKSMITH

Reaction score
Saw them at a festival in Southern Ontario in ‘79?-80?. It was a punk festival and as I remember they came on with a big band, percussion, back up singers, etc. And played a lot of their World Sound music... they were booed....I was just happy to see them... I was on mushrooms all weekend so
Maybe it didn’t even happen...not sure...
Roch,
Would've been the Heatwave Fest, if I remember correctly.
I've heard bootlegs and there was no booing on them.

Roch

DFO Master
Reaction score
I remember some. It upset me at the time because I was a pretty big fan. I’ve never forgotten it. Maybe it was localized. It was a pretty big crowd...but, you can’t tell me I didn’t hear it...

Tanabata

Reaction score
I saw them at the Calderone Theater in Hempstead, NY in the very early 1980's. It was the larger band without Adrian Belew.

Once the first song started the whole audience stood up and started dancing and bopping around, stayed that way till the concert ended. Astonishing, really.

5 Style

DFO Master
Reaction score
And let's all give it up for the rhythm section of Tina Weymouth and Chris Franz!
Yes, I really like their sound. Neither virtuosos but they had a great groove and did some really creative things. I really like their group the Tom Tom Club as well... at least that first album, which to me is almost as much of a classic as those first 4 Heads LPs...

Latest posts