Have you had a "dry spell" of drumming?

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Back in the late seventies I gave it up for a couple years . Kinda hard to babysit a set of drums without an address, job,ID etc . Sold my beloved Ludwigs for peanuts .
Ah, that sounds harsh. I hope you were able to get another beloved kit.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Life will never be the same as anyone who’s lost a child knows. The key is learning to live again. I guess it took me a bit longer than most to get to that point.
I can only imagine, wow. I suppose everyone learns to live again at their own pace. Glad to hear you are finding peace in being able to play drums again. (I could it see it being therapeutic for certain situations.)

deegeebee

Reaction score
I'm about 2.5 yrs back from a 10 yr stretch of not playing at all. Between degrees, several moves, a marriage and kids I managed to forget how important playing music was to me. Some regrets about lost time, but mostly just happy to be back at it. This time with a bit more discipline and maturity.

bbunks

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
1980 - 1997 I stopped playing except for the very rare occasion.

Robert Albiston

Reaction score
42 years! Gigged from high school ‘63 through college and then NYC rock/indie scene (CBGB, Max’s, etc.) until I ended it for grad school, kids, profession, etc. Getting pro coaching past 3 years and do something daily. Gigging, but mainly jazz with my vocalist wife, some groove, pop rock, etc.—from Elvin Jones to Jeff Hamilton to Steve Gadd to Jeff Porcaro—hands good as ever but what the mind takes in is a helluva lot more. Can’t believe we ever got off the bus!

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
I haven't spent a lot of time off the drums overall. My first band went from '89 to '93. Then for a couple of years I practiced in a rehearsal room for 4-6 hours almost everyday and soon I was playing with two bands between '94-'97. I was trying to cut my teeth on the first Weckl VHS, but I was a long way from that.

The longest break was between '97 and '00 when I wasn't doing much after getting my audio engineering certification, but when I opened my recording studio in 2000, I was jamming with an old band mate and doing small projects with other bands over the next ten years. From 2010 on, I've played in 4 bands total, 3 of which are still going.

Before all that, I grew up with drums in the house and played them several times a week. My Dad was a jazz drummer (overall) with a set of 1967 Ludwig blue sparkle Club Dates. When I was 16, he bought me a very early Pearl Export (no wrap, natural shells) that he wanted to trade me for the Ludwigs. The Pearl was alright but I didn't know enough about drums, or I would've traded for the Luddies. I still have the Ludwig 8x12 and no idea what happened to the rest of that kit.

Last edited:

On the one

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have experienced 2 dry spells, from 92-95 First our thrash metal band broke up due to the grunge invasion and then I moved to central California and was unable to take my drums with me. 1995 I bought my 2nd set and was playing again. Fast forward to 2005 things spiraled out of control; bandmates fighting, guitar player went through a horrible divorce, other guitarist got married and moved to Florida, and my mechanic career was taking off. Long days and nights at work and only having Sunday off. My drums stayed put up for 9 years and didn't play at all. 2014 rolls around I get invited to a party and the drummer was a no show. The venue has a decent house kit and I carry drumsticks in my vehicles at all times. Been playing nonstop ever since...

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My drums stayed put up for 9 years and didn't play at all. 2014 rolls around I get invited to a party and the drummer was a no show. The venue has a decent house kit and I carry drumsticks in my vehicles at all times. Been playing nonstop ever since...
I love how sometimes it just takes one little push like that to get you right back on the saddle (or, in this case, throne) again. Thanks for sharing.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
I quit in 1967 when I joined the navy. I took it up again in 2004. Thirty-seven year dry spell.

Latest posts