Haven't played in 42 years..Help w/ Accent Set

RBagg454

Reaction score
I know this topic is probably beat to death, but I'm new here. I sold my set in 1980 to go to college. I I just bought a basic black Accent Combo set. After 42 years, not getting fancy.

As stated, it's glossy black, has 12",13" & 16" toms. 22" bass. The bass lugs are same size as tom lugs, which threw me off when ordering a new lug. Had the original heads, and the kid I bought it from didn't know what a drum key is. So surprised shells in good shape with such haphazard care.
The snare at some point was swapped for a basic Pearl Stainless.
It will need new cymbals, the bass rim is metal, will upgrade that to wood. Then add on as can.

Attached is photo of the badge, I know it's not much help. Any ideas on age will be appreciated.

Attachments

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to DFO. Those are pretty entry level drums, age doesn’t really matter since they don’t have much value. But I think they are probably 10-20 years old.

RBagg454

Reaction score
Thank you. That's what I figured. I know they're entry level, but price was right. $150. Considering I have to basically relearn everything I didn't want to spend a fortune. Will have fun upgrading this. Appreciate the response

flatwins

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum and welcome back to drumming. On the Accent kit you can easily spend more money on repairs/upgrades than what the kit would be worth. As far as cymbals go you can pick those up and use them on your next kit since you’ll more than likely upgrade. If you have a local music store that rents backline gear you can often buy their once-used heads for cheap.

Lazmo

Be excellent to each other...
Reaction score
Welcome… good heads and tuning and they’ll be fine. eBay up some Zildjian A, Sabian AA, Bosphorus, etc… and let the journey begin… again

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A photographer friend of mine picked up his drumsticks a few years ago after a 60 year layoff from drumming and picked up a similar set. He eventually formed a small jazz group that practices almost every week, and has been performing in public. I took almost 20 years off from bands myself when I first moved to Texas, but I kept my drums and played them very occasionally. Welcome back.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Nice starter set. I don't think I'd spend the money on new wood bass hoops. The metal ones will work fine for now and you're sure to want to upgrade to an entire different set at some point once you get your drumming mojo back.

As others mentioned the money would be better spent on decent cymbals. Seek out used A. Zildjians and/or Sabian AA models which can often be had at reasonable prices and can last you the rest of your playing years even as you continue to upgrade your drums.

RBagg454

Reaction score
Welcome… good heads and tuning and they’ll be fine. eBay up some Zildjian A, Sabian AA, Bosphorus, etc… and let the journey begin… again
Yes, heads is where I'm starting...evans epmd bass heads sound great on it. Maybe pricey for the set value. You read my mind, will start looking at cymbals with next pay check. Always loved zildjian....thanks for the encouragement

RBagg454

Reaction score
Nice starter set. I don't think I'd spend the money on new wood bass hoops. The metal ones will work fine for now and you're sure to want to upgrade to an entire different set at some point once you get your drumming mojo back.

As others mentioned the money would be better spent on decent cymbals. Seek out used A. Zildjians and/or Sabian AA models which can often be had at reasonable prices and can last you the rest of your playing years even as you continue to upgrade your drums.
Thanks I was second guessing getting wooden hoops...man I like them tho

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes, heads is where I'm starting...evans epmd bass heads sound great on it. Maybe pricey for the set value. You read my mind, will start looking at cymbals with next pay check. Always loved zildjian....thanks for the encouragement
If you’ve been away from drumming since 1980 be aware Sabian is the old Canadian Zildjian factory that split away. If you like Zildjian A’s you’ll like Sabian AA of similar models so you’re safe going for either if you find a good deal

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I know this topic is probably beat to death, but I'm new here. I sold my set in 1980 to go to college. I I just bought a basic black Accent Combo set. After 42 years, not getting fancy.

As stated, it's glossy black, has 12",13" & 16" toms. 22" bass. The bass lugs are same size as tom lugs, which threw me off when ordering a new lug. Had the original heads, and the kid I bought it from didn't know what a drum key is. So surprised shells in good shape with such haphazard care.
The snare at some point was swapped for a basic Pearl Stainless.
It will need new cymbals, the bass rim is metal, will upgrade that to wood. Then add on as can.

Attached is photo of the badge, I know it's not much help. Any ideas on age will be appreciated.
Welcome back! I wouldn’t spend money on new bass hoops. Chrome hoops are fine. I would spend money on good batter heads and cymbals. FYI, cymbal prices have gotten stupid recently. Be prepared to be patient, and buy used.

RBagg454

Reaction score
Thank you, I wasn't sure of Sabians...

If you’ve been away from drumming since 1980 be aware Sabian is the old Canadian Zildjian factory that split away. If you like Zildjian A’s you’ll like Sabian AA of similar models so you’re safe going for either if you find a good deal

Lazmo

Be excellent to each other...
Reaction score
I agree with KO and Matched Gripper, don't bother with wood bass hoops. Good heads, good tuning and good (likely secondhand) cymbals will get you there.

In fact, my latest kit cost $200Aud which is $150USD, which is the same price as yours... and it has chrome hoops.

When I got the kit, I replaced the heads, and it transformed the kit.

The bassdrum sounds great, and I think it looks great with the chrome hoops too... sort of suits its 80's heritage.

On the secondhand cymbals front, I'd try to avoid the clangers which are out there, by going for lighter thinner cymbals.

Tamas Chrome Hoops.jpg

RBagg454

Reaction score
Thanks. Yours does look nice. Here is mine. Hoops are black. I went with epmd bass heads, and enony pinstripes on the toms. Wasn'tcsure of the ebony, but they really help with sound of these. I did pick up a nice pork pie maple snare for $130 at pawn shop. Fun upgrading ...

Attachments