Having UPS, FedEx, etc. do the packing.

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
Who has experience doing this? How'd it go? Was it expensive? I've got a seller who won't ship a cymbal. Anybody do this with cymbals?

Many thanks.

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Earlier this year I sent a 16x16 FT from NM to Jack Lawton in Pennsylvania. UPS packed and shipped it. Packing and box were $12 and shipping was about $90. Jack said it was well packed and used the same box to send it back to me. I was satisfied.

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
It is more money, sometimes not too bad, depends on what you ship, AND it is the only way to get insurance.
If he..the seller brings it to UPS he can get a quote for shipping and packing, then decide if it is worth it.

Piggpenn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In my experience, packing and shipping a cymbal is almost easier than shipping a grabber clamp. I'd much rather ship a cymbal than a drum set any day.

Here's a sample box obviously size matters:

bubble wrap and / or peanuts in every curve will nestle it safely. As others have added, grab some foam pipe insulation and wrap it around the edges for extra comfort. ;)

Depending on location est $25.00 to ship?

Have him send it to me and I'll pack it for you...Oh, wait. Nevermind.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Earlier this year I sent a 16x16 FT from NM to Jack Lawton in Pennsylvania. UPS packed and shipped it. Packing and box were $12 and shipping was about $90. Jack said it was well packed and used the same box to send it back to me. I was satisfied.
90 for shipping??? UPS stores way overcharge for shipping (and boxes).

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
The poster is trying to get the seller to ship by making it easy on him.
My guess is those places will do a good job on shipping but will charge a lot. A FedEx location will cost less than a ups store.

owr

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Per the earlier comments, the shipping game has changed in a major way in the last 6-12 months. I just sent a 14" floor tom from California to Tennessee. I packed it myself and paid for UPS ground shipping online using my account. I definitely over-packed (final box was a 20" cube) but with insurance (useless, I know) it was $94. Luckily on UPS's website there is a link to apply an automictic rebate that got it down to $72. But the $25 to ship a 20" cymbal days are long gone.

owr

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The irony is I sent a 12" tom to Italy last week through USPS and that was $100 in a 16" cube box. Good thing to note for all the domestic US sellers like me who used to avoid International shipping because of how much more it cost. Not such a big difference now.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
It is more money, sometimes not too bad, depends on what you ship, AND it is the only way to get insurance.
If he..the seller brings it to UPS he can get a quote for shipping and packing, then decide if it is worth it.
Obviously the seller doesn't want to deal with making a couple of trips to deal with it.
I would find out the seller's local ups and FedEx stores, call them with the size, estimated weight and your zip code and get the prices to the seller to make it easy and worthwhile

Tama CW

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Packing wood drums has a lot more risk than cymbals. I've probably had a 100 cymbals shipped to me and sent out just as many. And no matter how good or bad the cymbals were packed,
none ever arrived damaged. A number of them have arrived sticking out of the box. Numerous pizza boxes used without any packing or padding.
I'm convinced you could wrap a cymbal in newspaper and it would arrive without damage. So having UPS or FedEx pack a cymbal is really not necessary imo.
In that case you are looking for protection from theft or loss - NOT damage.

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would like to emphasize the point that with UPS, if you have them pack it and ship it, you truly have insurance for the full amount. When you pack it yourself and use UPS to ship, you have a "declared amount", which basically amounts to your defense against theirs in the case of incurred damage, or if the package goes missing altogether. I've shipped hundreds of packages over the years with UPS; the items that UPS ruined or damaged have always been a hassle, with many hours on the phone, going back and forth, being asked for original purchase receipts, proof of value, etc., all designed to wear out the customer and have them give up on being reimbursed for their incompetence. The one item I did ship using their pack and ship option, however, was handled effortlessly when they damaged the drum en route to the buyer. I simply called, had the buyer take a few photos, and I had my reimbursement in full within about a week.
I don't look forward to the day when one of them buys the other, and we have yet another monopoly to deal with...

Last edited:

esooy

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't look forward to the day when one of them buys the other, and we have yet another monopoly to deal with...
Wouldn’t matter as they are already in cahoots - they miraculously come up with the same rate increase year after year.

towndog

Reaction score
90 for shipping??? UPS stores way overcharge for shipping (and boxes).
I know right. Not so many years ago I could ship entire kits for about $100. I tried to ship a 20" cymbal in a 22X22X6 box and UPS wanted over $100 to ship a 20" cymbal. Fedex wanted $75. I ended up not selling/trading because of the shipping costs.

Markkuliini

DFO Master
Reaction score
I know right. Not so many years ago I could ship entire kits for about $100. I tried to ship a 20" cymbal in a 22X22X6 box and UPS wanted over $100 to ship a 20" cymbal. Fedex wanted $75. I ended up not selling/trading because of the shipping costs.
Wow! I live in Sweden, and I have been taking advantage of DHL's offer (that's been in effect for over a year now):
About 40$ to ship a parcel to anywhere in Europe. Longest and shortest side's sum can be max 80 cm (31,5"), and max weight 20 kg 40 lbs(!!!). I love that in practice I really don't need to know the weight of my parcel before I do it off.
So any snare under 6,5" deep or pretty much any cymbal can be shipped for that price across Europe. Not too bad!

Last edited:

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Really not sure why you guys get such high quotes. A FedEx box 22x22x6, 12 pounds shipping from two far away points, like Florida to Oregon, is $31, online price. A 22" cube box at home depot or lowes is $3.
If you have a UPS account with a promo code (thrive is the current one), it's less. Close distances and printing labels through eBay, PayPal, reverb or Facebook will all make it less than that.

amosguy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Find the local store and call to alert them the cymbal is coming in and you will pay for it. Then the seller just has to let you know when he will be at the store. You call and set up the shipping info and pay with credit card by phone. Least amount of effort for the seller.