Hayman sighting: Kenny Ball and his Jazzmen

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
You Brits will appreciate this. Hayman Vibrasonics. A friend of mine bought a set in the 70's, and I played them several times. Ass kicking drums, really live sounding.

Ass kicking band, too. Ron Bowden was the band drummer for 40 years. He died a couple of years ago.

This tune was actually the number two hit on the U.S. charts. I first heard it when I was 11 years old!

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a Hayman kit in Silver Metallic. I saw them on Reverb and they were in good/excellent condition, and I managed to grab them at a good price. Nice sounding drums. Especially the snare drum, which was a pleasant surprise.

Here's an observation that illustrates my wackiness... I've never liked the looks of DW Drums (side bar: I worked for DW from 1986-1989, and was Sales/Artist Relations Manager for the launch of the drums in 1987) but when I saw these Hayman drums, I had to have them! And I'd love to have a set of Camcos! :D

fullsizeoutput_4457.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_4069.jpeg

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
I have a Hayman kit in Silver Metallic. I saw them on Reverb and they were in good/excellent condition, and I managed to grab them at a good price. Nice sounding drums. Especially the snare drum, which was a pleasant surprise.

Here's an observation that illustrates my wackiness... I've never liked the looks of DW Drums (side bar: I worked for DW from 1986-1989, and was Sales/Artist Relations Manager for the launch of the drums in 1987) but when I saw these Hayman drums, I had to have them! And I'd love to have a set of Camcos! :D

View attachment 393606View attachment 393607
Gorgeous drums.

Back in the 70's, a friend of mine worked in a music store. He called me and said, "You have to come down and play this snare drum." It was a wood shell Hayman. I played on it, and it was the best snare drum I had ever played in my life. Super snare sensitivity all the way to the edge of the head, tons of attack, beautiful tone and resonance. I was poor back in those days, and i couldn't afford it. Hayman had some kind of special formula.

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Gorgeous drums.

Back in the 70's, a friend of mine worked in a music store. He called me and said, "You have to come down and play this snare drum." It was a wood shell Hayman. I played on it, and it was the best snare drum I had ever played in my life. Super snare sensitivity all the way to the edge of the head, tons of attack, beautiful tone and resonance. I was poor back in those days, and i couldn't afford it. Hayman had some kind of special formula.
I agree completely, Ron. When I bought the kit, I was happy it included a snare drum, but I didn’t expect much - I was just happy to have a matching snare with it. When I set them up and played them for the first time, the snare drum blew me away. It really stood out and just as you described, excellent sensitivity, tone, the perfect blend of crisp and fat. I’ve used it many times with my various Gretsch kits. My new favorite wood snare is my recently acquired Powertone, which I put in the same category as my Hayman. I haven’t played my Hayman kit in a while (I’m currently on a Rogers Holiday kick) but will have to dust it off one of these nights.

jmpd_utoronto

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Am I write that they were (one of?) the first to specially treat the inside of the drums to promote relfections/resonance/something? Didn't they use a layer of epoxy or fibreglass or some sort of special finish or something inside the shells?
I've always thought the drums looked killer. Back when I was in high school and Songbird Music existed in Toronto, they had a set of Silver Haymans there that I totally lusted after.

Patrick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think it was polyurethane on the interiors. I did that once to my old orphan Ludwig kit. Sparked up the kick and toms. Folks used to borrow them for recordings.

Latest posts