Head and muffling suggestions for 24" bass drum

R

RickP

I have always used 22" and smaller bass drums and recently made a deal for a 24" bass drum. I am looking for some advice on head selection and muffling for a 24" bass drum. So you 24" bass drum fans, what are you using ?

Woody85

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I also just picked up a 24" bass drum. Considering using a coated ps3 batter & Aquarian modern vintage (unported) reso with a small felt strip. Nothing inside the drum of course.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Same for me: PS3 front and back. Small 4" (or 5") port hole, no muffling.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Rick,
I think that you will end up using what you generally use for your other bass drums. It won't be hard to tame, it will just be an entirely different beast. I think that you will love everything about it, but carrying it to/from gigs! A 24" bass drum produces the note that should be known as a "proper" bass drum. I know that you will love it!

spaeth

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I really like the Aquarian Super Kick 1 and the Regulator unported on the reso side. This is great if you play unmic'd a lot. If you are mic'd very often, I hate to say it, but probably easier to have a hole. No laundry inside in either case.

The one tuning tip I might add is that you can usually go a little tighter on the resonant head than you might think. You will already have the tone from the size of the drum so you can run a touch tighter and get some really cool tones out of it.

jbonzo1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Treviso1 said:
Rick,
I think that you will end up using what you generally use for your other bass drums. It won't be hard to tame, it will just be an entirely different beast. I think that you will love everything about it, but carrying it to/from gigs! A 24" bass drum produces the note that should be known as a "proper" bass drum. I know that you will love it!
This.
My Legacy 24 is set up the same as most of my other 22's... Clear Superkick I with a ported reso and a DW pillow.

zenghost

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
spaeth said:
I really like the Aquarian Super Kick 1 and the Regulator unported on the reso side. This is great if you play unmic'd a lot. If you are mic'd very often, I hate to say it, but probably easier to have a hole. No laundry inside in either case.

The one tuning tip I might add is that you can usually go a little tighter on the resonant head than you might think. You will already have the tone from the size of the drum so you can run a touch tighter and get some really cool tones out of it.
+1 on the unported Regulator with either Force 1 or Super Kick with the felt ring cut back about half way.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I'm currently using an Aquarian SKII and an Aquarian Texture Coated (from Drum Art) batter with one felt strip, no other internal muffling. I'm thinking of going with an SKI or Aquarian Force I on the batter, but in the meantime I may cut back some of the felt on the SKII and/or try the reso without the felt strip. I have an internal iso-mounted Beta 52 so I don't need (or want) a ported reso.

VintageUSA

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Rick..............

I ordered my Gretsch USA kit in 1977 and have been gigging with it ever since...................the bass drum is the conventional 14X24.

I use the Aquarian Super Kick 10 for the batter and the Aquarian Regulator for the reso.
The reso head was built by DrumArt and is double-ported (see attachment).
I use a black bath towel inside as any muffle needed.

Attachments

Chicago.Drum.Exchange

Reaction score
Ive always been a fan of the PS3 Batter and PS3 on the front. You could always add a felt strip on the resonant side is you want to tame it down. Are you looking for a more open sounding kick or something more controlled?

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I own 2 different 24" bass drums.....I run an Emad 2 with a small port at about 8:00 o'clock with no additonal muffling on one, and on my other it has an older PS4 with a piece of foam/egg-crate from about 4-8 o'clock and also a small reso port. Both sound great.

Btw, both are maple and 24 x 18 if that matters.....

High on Stress

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Treviso1 said:
Rick,
Agree with all of this. Personally, I don't do anything different with my bass drums ranging from 20 to 26.

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
Depends on the music you play.

I can only speak for big band playing. Double ply Emperor batter head or something similar, with a felt strip and a beater patch. Front head wide open. Killer sound!

I think it would work great for rock, too, but I know rock guys like to port the front head and put laundry in there. Up to you.

Latest posts