Head suggestions for Gretsch Round Badge kit in glass glitter

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Here's how I see it. Old 3 ply drums are an issue unto themselves and not included in the 6 ply issue over heads.
12s and 14s are snug but fine. 14x20 bass drums are worse. Near impossible to get the head down far enough to match edge with head collar. that bad.

22s 13s 16s seems the larger you go the less the tight head fit is an issue.
That's my 60s observation.

New Gretsch drums? You get either satin or gloss nitro celluose (no pearl) and you have the best fit as any in the industry

But everybody has their own story. So with the set you just got; no suggestions; only advice is you go and find what will work on a personal your own journey

Last edited:

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Remo coated ambassadors are tight on my RB red 12. When Precision rewrspped my 14, I had a slight cutback so they fit. The 20 bass someone had notched the wrap. As for the 16 which I use as a bass, the fiber skin reso head fits fine. The super kick batter is a tad tight but works. And all drums are pretty round.

My champagne RB 20 has a Aquarian modern vintage reso which is fine and an old Remo clear dot bass. I could not get Remo or Evans to fit, same with my BDP SSB kit.

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
Remo Classic Fit worked on my pain in the ass 60's COB Gretsch snare that wouldn't take any kind of modern heads. And they sound like regular coated heads. They're Ambassadors with some extra space in the inside of the hoops.
The Aquarian Vintage heads will fit Old Gretsch, but they sound nothing like regular coated heads. Very soft attack, crappy brush response.

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
Seems like there's a lot of confusion out there -including among dealers- about exactly which Gretsch drums would require oversized heads, and why.
Newer Gretsch are not a problem, usually. Any Gretsch drums made circa the early 1970's or before usually only took Permatone heads. They were made for Gretsch to accommodate the oversized shells. I'm guessing that Gretsch did that on purpose to force drummers to buy their proprietary heads.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
It may not even be that simple. Some people say it’s drums made before the mid/late 60s. Some say it’s about the thickness of the wrap, or lacquer vs wrap. In posts above we have people confidently disagreeing about whether Permatones are now, or ever were, oversized.

Tanabata

Reaction score
I played a late 1960's round badge kit with oversized shell for many years. Aside from the original permatone heads, nothing fit on there, and I tried everything.

Once Remo introduced the Classic Fit heads, life got much better. I bought the Classic Fit coated Ambassadors (and clear snare side) and put them on there, everything was just right. The kit was 20, 13, 16, with a 14" snare drum.

You can watch auction sites for original Permatone heads...... they have what looks like a light ink stamp on them.

Also, you can trim the wrap down where it doesn't show, if you're so inclined.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I mentioned my champagne RB 20" bass above. The 13" has a coated Amb. top and Aquarian modern vintage below. The 16" has coated Amb. above & below.
I really think it's hit & miss, but I also think the glass glitter wraps are thicker than the champagne........

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
Seems like there's a lot of confusion out there -including among dealers- about exactly which Gretsch drums would require oversized heads, and why.
My guess is that when DW took over supervision of production, there were still a lot of older, oversized shells in stock. Depending on the sizes ordered, you might end up with oversized shells, or maybe the newer, undersized shells.

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a few round badge Gretsch, and have loved Aquarian American Vintage heads on them. I've also had good luck with Evans G1's and G2's, but the Aquarians sound best to my ears.

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I received the Remo Classic Fit heads and tried them on the toms and snare reso and they seemed to fit just fine. I am hoping to have everything I need to reassemble the kit and start playing it.

Thanks for all of the help and suggestions everyone!

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I received the Remo Classic Fit heads and tried them on the toms and snare reso and they seemed to fit just fine. I am hoping to have everything I need to reassemble the kit and start playing it.

Thanks for all of the help and suggestions everyone!
I’m glad to hear this. My champagne sparkle kit is a real bear to fit heads on. Right now I have vintage calf on them. But they didn’t go on easy. Previously I took the drums to Buffalo Drum Outlet and tried every head. I got a weird assortment of heads to fit. None of them very well. I guess I’m going to try the Remo classic’s.

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I called Cascio to get mine as I had a question. I tried to order online while talkingto themm but there was a glitch for some reason. The guy ended up giving me a discount on every head and a $25 gift card that they sent me with the order. I bought batter and reso heads for the snare; 2 heads each for the rack and floor tom.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
My guess is that when DW took over supervision of production, there were still a lot of older, oversized shells in stock. Depending on the sizes ordered, you might end up with oversized shells, or maybe the newer, undersized shells.
Does anyone know for a fact that DW has changed the size of the 6 ply "jasper style" shells? Generally Gretsch's philosophy in regards to the classic 6 ply drums has been "do not mess with the legend" quirks included.

My 80's era factory Permatones appear to be identical in size to any other Remo head of the era. My drums were lacquer finish so heads fit fine ( more or less).

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
Does anyone know for a fact that DW has changed the size of the 6 ply "jasper style" shells? Generally Gretsch's philosophy in regards to the classic 6 ply drums has been "do not mess with the legend" quirks included.

My 80's era factory Permatones appear to be identical in size to any other Remo head of the era. My drums were lacquer finish so heads fit fine ( more or less).
I thought someone here had posted an "official" response from a Gretsch dealer or rep that the shell diameter had in fact changed.