Head tension vs pitch: need help please

drums12

Reaction score
I recently got a 90s Premier Signia Kit. Beautiful drums. I've primarily played heavy birch drums for the last 10-12 years (Tama Granstar Customs). I wanted some drums that have the ability to sustain longer hence the thin maple shelled Signias. I would like to get the longest note possible, which is generally achieved by tuning the batter and reso heads to the same pitch. When both heads are the same model and thickness this is relatively easy using a drum dial. However, I'm using coated ambassadors on top and clear ambassadors on bottom. Tuning them to the same tension doesn't seem to necessarily achieve the same pitch. Is this because the coating makes the top heads slightly thicker so maybe more tension is needed to achieve the same pitch? I'm currently using the DD recommended 75 over 74 tensions and it's ok, but I'd like to really open these up as much as possible with the warmth of the coated heads. Any suggestions are appreciated.

snappy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This head combination is the scenario you talk about

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Use your ears or one of the frequency based devises, but ears are far better. It's not rocket science. Bring all the lugs toward the fundamental pitch you're after. Take your time and go around all the lug positions a few times. Your thin maple toms will sing to the point you may want to damp them some.

drums12

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I might mention that I have fairly severe hearing loss in both ears (hereditary not due to playing drums). This makes it perhaps more difficult to fine tune each lug than it is for most. What frequency devices do you recommend?

Ptrick

Reaction score
Myself and many others like the Tune Bot For frequency. Drum dial is also useful but measures head tension rather than frequency. Some good long threads about both on the forum.

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Drumtune pro app is also very good, available for android and apple phones.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Myself and many others like the Tune Bot For frequency. Drum dial is also useful but measures head tension rather than frequency. Some good long threads about both on the forum.
This!

Latest posts