Head trick learned from my drum teacher many years ago...

GeneZ

DFO Master
Reaction score
Grew up in NY.. now, Georgia -NW of Atlanta
How many just put on their reso heads and that's it?

My drum teacher years ago taught me a trick that I found can make for a better drum sound. He told me to take my top heads and to tune them relatively tight and play them for a weeks or two to break in. Then, take those top heads, and switch them to the bottom. That way the reso head gets broken in... Otherwise, its always in an out of box state in comparison. I used that trick and it really made my drums fuller sounding.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
How many just put on their reso heads and that's it?

My drum teacher years ago taught me a trick that I found can make for a better drum sound. He told me to take my top heads and to tune them relatively tight and play them for a weeks or two to break in. Then, take those top heads, and switch them to the bottom. That way the reso head gets broken in... Otherwise, its always in an out of box state in comparison. I used that trick and it really made my drums fuller sounding.
What if you use snare side heads on the reso side of your toms?

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I would stretch any new head by pressing with the palm of my hand to get the collar to conform to the edge. I wouldn't tune it higher than where you want to use it at, since this shifts the collar toward the center of the head.

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
Put your head in the freezer for a week. When you take it out, chant incantations for four minutes, then spin around in a circle three times. Now, your rest head is "broken in" and ready to be stretched to your desired tightness. That's how. plastic works. It's magic.
Spin clockwise or counter clockwise?

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Reaction score
I learned from a guy that builds and repairs drums in the Cleveland area to press in the center of the head with your palm. That'll stretch out your head. Then just tune it.
Dale Flanigan at Fortune Drums?

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Fire your drum teacher
Wow, it's just one way to do it, lol. I bet it helps control overtones.

I used to break in new tom batters by tuning them way up and beating them down to the tuning I liked. We didn't have internet drum forums to tell us what we were doing wrong back in those days.

gwbasley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I say if it works for you then use it.

I have always used clear Diplomats for resos, so I wouldn't want to play on them at all.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Reaction score
I like the concept, makes sense the same way a guitarist would stretch his strings a tad as he's tuning for the first time or a woodwinds player getting that reed nice and wet before he starts blowing. break it in.
I think it should be broken in and seated on the bearing edge where its going to be used however, switching from one side to the other seems to defeat the purpose

polycrescendo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
How about breaking them in gently with some nice soft timpani mallets? I bet that'd do the trick and no stick marks/ no swapping sides.

Me personally, I do the palm in the middle trick, tune slightly high for 2 days, while whaling on the toms, then re-tune the resos maybe twice over the next few weeks.

GeneZ

DFO Master
Reaction score
Grew up in NY.. now, Georgia -NW of Atlanta
But...but...you’ll have stick marks on the bottom heads. No can do....
But it sounded so good. I had a friend of my brother who played drums walk up to me in the basement where I practiced and exclaimed... "You get your drums so loud!" But, I did not hit hard like drummers today, and was not even mic'd in those days. You can clean them up after only a few weeks use. Remember to tune them a bit high during the break in period. Not loose. Otherwise, you can get cupped heads on the bottom when tuned lower. Not saying it will work for everyone. For today they make heads for those who do not have the feel for tuning..and can guarantee a decent generic sound. That's the way its become today.

Latest posts