Head trick learned from my drum teacher many years ago...

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
That's the band leader he played with at some point. Paul Whitman was "the man" in the industry that day to play with. I took lessons circa 1964. I had no idea this was the case until I did a internet search. I also have a picture of my drum teacher found in an old Gretsch drum catalog. I had no idea. My dad was a very good professional musician in the 30's and 40's. He was the one who arranged for me to take lessons with Sam Ellner... Sam was playing Rogers in that day.
Good Lord Gene, its was a simple question. I don't know how could've been more clear..and you still refused to answer it.....whatever.....:banghead:

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I cut large holes into my (too old and stretched anyway) reso head to protect my bearing edges. Sounds cool but have yet to get used to the less bouncy feel. :wink:
I remember doing a session at a local recording studio, and the toms had dotted head with the dots cut out.
The engineer then shoved the mikes up through those holes.
Pretty neat idea, I thought, although I could never convince another engineer to repeat that.

SpinaDude

Reaction score
I'm glad that works for you and your teacher...but stick marks on my reso heads?!?! I'm too anal for that! LOL

I tune my reso's using a pencil with an eraser cap to make sure there's no marks or dings. I have problems! :geek:

Attachments

gwbasley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
According to this discussion there were actually 3 different thicknesses available in the 60's but for instance Emperor was not the true 2 ply head back then, until the modern version was introduced in 1969.

Oh, I would be very happy playing with such a limited selection. It's actually what I already do. Pretty much coated Remo ambassadors top and bottom, maybe an Emperor on the floor tom and bass drum batter. B)
That is correct, but you wouldn't find Emperors or Diplomats in an average music store. You would have had to go to a city to find a store big enough to stock heads like that...no "Big Box" back then!

Iristone

Reaction score
I remember doing a session at a local recording studio, and the toms had dotted head with the dots cut out.
Pretty neat idea, I thought, although I could never convince another engineer to repeat that.
So essentially a center hole? Seems similar to what I did to my bass drum (flamesuit ready...). :blackeye:

GeneZ

DFO Master
Reaction score
Grew up in NY.. now, Georgia -NW of Atlanta
Good Lord Gene, its was a simple question. I don't know how could've been more clear..and you still refused to answer it.....whatever.....:banghead:
Sorry.. It was vague to me. I thought you were asking if that was who my teacher played for. If you were asking me if the drummer playing in that video was my teacher? As far as I could tell, the answer is no. I never saw him looking that young when I studied under him. Paul Whitman hired different drummers over the years.

GeneZ

DFO Master
Reaction score
Grew up in NY.. now, Georgia -NW of Atlanta
The feel for tuning is the same, human ears neither evolved or devolved.
Remo Ambassador is still the most popular head and has remained unchanged for decades.
I know. I was not talking about the heads that have remained the same.

Agreed.. The feel for tuning has not changed. Not everyone has a feel for tuning though. Many of the newer heads are designed with a guaranteed sound effect built in for that reason. There were some pretty bad sounding drummers before those heads came out. They just could not get the feel for good tuning. But, drummers that use them pretty much sound the same as the other. That is why I said "generic sound."

Last edited:

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
They do it to mic a bass drum...so why not?

I have seen pictures of it being done, but I have not tried it....hmmmmm.

It would certainly help wih mic bleed problems I guess.

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That is a Remo trick. Evans users don't need such primitive incantations.
Funny 'cause it's true! Every year at our local drum fest I see the Remo folk stretching 'em out old school. The Evans folk just tune em, maybe over tighten a little then back off. I use both & call me superstitious, but when I throw an Ambassador on I palm it (and chant a bit of voodoo). So this week I'm gonna put on some NOS Ludwig heads & am ill-informed of the proper protocol. Should I use the stretching, chanting, mallets or just cut big holes in the bottoms? :laughing5:

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
They do it to mic a bass drum...so why not?

I have seen pictures of it being done, but I have not tried it....hmmmmm.

It would certainly help wih mic bleed problems I guess.
The argument against is that the same thing can be accomplished using directional mikes over the toms, and since most of the smaller studios don't have a budget for a house kit and can't count on every drummer coming in to have holes cut into their resonant heads, it made sense to the engineer to equip their studio that way instead.
The kit I saw that done on was the house kit for a fairly busy and better known studio in my area, that had a dedicated drum booth where they could just leave the drums set up, ready to go. Not everyone has that kind of space.
The only reason I ever brought it up was because I always took the resonant heads off of all my drums whenever I went into the studio (easier for me to just deal with one head on each drum), so I figured they could just shove the mikes into the toms easy enough...and you're right, they do it with the bass drum, so why not?....then again, we hired them for a reason, so just let them do what they do and we'll do what we do.

Elvis

Last edited:

Pounder

DFO Master
Reaction score
Actually the Ludwig weather master heads made in the 60s and 70s would be both top and bottom. If the top heads were worn one would put them on the bottom and play the former bottom resonant head. the worn head was more muffled. I think the sound was awesome. So that's my take on it. Actually don't care about if it's science!

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
That's my gig setup. Both heads the same. That way if you have a problem with a tom, just flip it over and play the other side.
Helps to tune both heads the same, too.
It'll get you through the gig until you have time to address whatever problem you were having with the other end of the tom. :thumbright:

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Re: heads...and cash

True story-If I remember correctly, it took my mom two months to have enough extra cash to buy me my first new drum head. It was a 20" Remo Black Dot. Back then it was food first, heat\hot water next, etc. I put my newly aquired headless bass drum up against the wall and she gave me a pretzel tin she got from work in the bass drum so I could play against that.

You're damn right I played both heads on a drum. It wasn't which one is batter which onenis reso. It was good one on top, worn out one on bottom...

Lol

mkelley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Funny 'cause it's true! Every year at our local drum fest I see the Remo folk stretching 'em out old school. The Evans folk just tune em, maybe over tighten a little then back off. I use both & call me superstitious, but when I throw an Ambassador on I palm it (and chant a bit of voodoo). So this week I'm gonna put on some NOS Ludwig heads & am ill-informed of the proper protocol. Should I use the stretching, chanting, mallets or just cut big holes in the bottoms? :laughing5:
It's one of the main reason why I constantly choose non-Remo heads. I can slap an Aquarian, Evans, Attack or old Ludwig head on and go. I had high hopes for the Remo-made DW heads, but it's still the Remo glue. But above all, choose a new head on both sides. Why flip old heads to the bottom? Again just old incantations and traditions, just your sound at risk :rolleyes: . Could you imagine using bald tires, because they're in tune with the vibrations from your car? Same concept.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It's one of the main reason why I constantly choose non-Remo heads. I can slap an Aquarian, Evans, Attack or old Ludwig head on and go. I had high hopes for the Remo-made DW heads, but it's still the Remo glue. But above all, choose a new head on both sides. Why flip old heads to the bottom? Again just old incantations and traditions, just your sound at risk :rolleyes: . Could you imagine using bald tires, because they're in tune with the vibrations from your car? Same concept.
I don't know....lol...

Seems like most of our "heroes of the faith" got along just fine using those old worn out heads. Didn't seem to mess with Mitch Mitchell's sound.... Nit hearing any 'risk' on any of those old hits.

Lol.

Maybe we can start a new trend?

Latest posts