Head trick learned from my drum teacher many years ago...

dsop

Reaction score
The only reason I ever brought it up was because I always took the resonant heads off of all my drums whenever I went into the studio (easier for me to just deal with one head on each drum), so I figured they could just shove the mikes into the toms easy enough...and you're right, they do it with the bass drum, so why not?....then again, we hired them for a reason, so just let them do what they do and we'll do what we do.
Check out the sound of the drums on Gino Vannelli's Brother to Brother and Nightwalker records. Toms with the bottom heads removed, and mic'ed from underneath, just above the bottom edge of the shell. Tell me that those drums sound anything but awesome (for pop/rock/funk).

(Ludwig Vistalite on Nightwalker)

mkelley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don't know....lol...

Seems like most of our "heroes of the faith" got along just fine using those old worn out heads. Didn't seem to mess with Mitch Mitchell's sound.... Nit hearing any 'risk' on any of those old hits.

Lol.

Maybe we can start a new trend?
Ah but the modern studio is far less forgiving. The 60's were still a veritable Wild West as far as recording. I love Mitch (and Ginger and Krupa and Elvin) but when Mitch and Ginger and Elvin were recording in the 80s and 90s they were using fresher heads. It's still the sound in our heads that counts, so if old heads are your sound, then it's your sound.

GeneZ

DFO Master
Reaction score
Grew up in NY.. now, Georgia -NW of Atlanta
Just located the web page of a vintage Gretsch catalog showing my drum teacher who taught me that trick. Scroll down just past the Gladstone stuff to "Gretsch *Broadcaster* all metal snare drum. Sam Ellner's picture is the farthest to the right.

He was a very patient man, but always demanding perfection at the same time.

http://drumarchive.com/Gretsch/Gretsch_41.pdf

Last edited:

Latest posts