Heads for my Gretsch bass drum

pedro navahas

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I tried 5 different heads on my 20” round badge kick tonight, Earthtone, classic fit fiberskyn diplomat, classic fit clear and coated ps3 and original Gretsch logo reso head.
After almost two hours I ended up with the same heads I used when I put it all back together after restoring them. Gretsch logo head with a felt strip and coated ps3!
Looks like I might be putting some of these up for sale.

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I tried 5 different heads on my 20” round badge kick tonight, Earthtone, classic fit fiberskyn diplomat, classic fit clear and coated ps3 and original Gretsch logo reso head.
After almost two hours I ended up with the same heads I used when I put it all back together after restoring them. Gretsch logo head with a felt strip and coated ps3!
Looks like I might be putting some of these up for sale.
Are you saying you tried all these out and ended up back with the originals because they sounded the best, or that they were the only ones that would fit?

With Gretsch it could be either. I had trouble with my 20" 6 ply.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
On my 20's (red glass and champagne), I have Aquarian modern vintage resos, the red has a coated amb. for a vintage open sound, and the champ. has a Super Kick for a thumpy vintage sound.

pedro navahas

DFO Master
Reaction score
Still haven’t achieved the sound I think I’m looking for but it sounds really good!
I want to try the ambassador as a batter, or maybe the Earthtone as a batter with the original reso head, just ran out of energy last night!

charlesm

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Somebody had mentioned a coated Emperor as a good match for Gretsch bass drums.
I might have been one of them. Coated Emps here all the way, on two Gretsch 20s...a RB and a USAC.

Dial in the Pratt as desired to control boom and it's an open, punchy, deep tone. Lots of projection from out front.

Reactions: egw

pedro navahas

DFO Master
Reaction score
I might have been one of them. Coated Emps here all the way, on two Gretsch 20s...a RB and a USAC.

Dial in the Pratt as desired to control boom and it's an open, punchy, deep tone. Lots of projection from out front.
Front and back?

hefty

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I may have to try a coated Emperor batter on my 22" Gretsch USA. Been feeling the itch to vary up the sound from my usual PS3.