Heads for my Rogers Clevelands

troutstudio

Idealist
Reaction score
Time at last for new heads on the Rogers. Mmmm - new heads! Should I go Ambassador brush top and bottom; or clears on the bottom? At the moment they have coated top and bottom. Sound good; but always more of a jazz sound I guess. I have been looking for the video on how head thickness works on the bottom of drums; I searched You tube with no luck. Anyway I had Diplomat clears on the bottom of my Fullertons. They sounded great but supposedly thin = less sustain . . .

JDZ

Asst. Manager, rhythm section
Reaction score
You could always use a ambassador white smoothie on the bottoms. A lil more resonant...still looks cool.

troutstudio

Idealist
Reaction score
You could always use a ambassador white smoothie on the bottoms. A lil more resonant...still looks cool.
Great idea! I didn't even know they existed. I'm in Australia, where the dollar is high but the head stocks are low :rolleyes: Just saw them at Remo.com and I much prefer the look too. I bet they aren't even imported here. I'll look though.

Rogersoholic

DFO Master
Reaction score
When sold stock, they had coated 2 ply {7.5 mils} top and bottom. I use the vintage Remo coated 2 ply drum heads {7.5 mils} w/ 1 ply clear 10 mil on the bottom.

Powertone

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
When sold stock, they had coated 2 ply {7.5 mils} top and bottom. I use the vintage Remo coated 2 ply drum heads {7.5 mils} w/ 1 ply clear 10 mil on the bottom.

Interesting you brought that up. The b&b drums definately had the two play ambassadors, but they later graduated to the single ply during the beavertail era.

I do like those Remo Vintage Ambassadors. Didn't think I cared for two ply heads, but tried one on a snare (my 6.5 Powertone) and loved it. Just picked up a 13 and a 16 for my Clev 22,13,16 kit. Should be interesting to see how they sound.

blue-onyx

Reaction score
I would highly recommend Aquarian Modern Vintage heads, thin, on the tops, and either Remo clear ambassadors, or Aquariann classic clear thin on the bottoms.

troutstudio

Idealist
Reaction score
Interesting you brought that up. The b&b drums definately had the two play ambassadors, but they later graduated to the single ply during the beavertail era.

I do like those Remo Vintage Ambassadors. Didn't think I cared for two ply heads, but tried one on a snare (my 6.5 Powertone) and loved it. Just picked up a 13 and a 16 for my Clev 22,13,16 kit. Should be interesting to see how they sound.
I would highly recommend Aquarian Modern Vintage heads, thin, on the tops, and either Remo clear ambassadors, or Aquariann classic clear thin on the bottoms.
Good tips thanks all. I also really loved the Remo Vintage on my wood PT. Thought 2 ply might be too much for toms tho; - love to hear how you go. I will follow up on the Smooth Remos and the Aquarians. I've seen the Aquarians and they look funky too.

Powertone

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
[/quote]Good tips thanks all. I also really loved the Remo Vintage on my wood PT. Thought 2 ply might be too much for toms tho; - love to hear how you go. I will follow up on the Smooth Remos and the Aquarians. I've seen the Aquarians and they look funky too.
[/quote]

I tend to agree with you re the two ply heads on toms, however, from what I've read, the vintage ambassadors just provide a bit more attack without sacrificing tone. I'll let you know how they work out when I install them. I will say that they did just that on my Powertone - perhaps a bit more focus and depth, but not at the cost of tone.

captact

Reaction score
I have a Cleveland Rogers kit as well and I use Remo Vintage A's on top with clear A's on the bottom. Sound good, best combo I've tried so far.

TRstix

Reaction score
I sold drums in a store many years ago. I talked with Roy Burns one day, and he asked what drums I played. I told him about my Rogers from Cleveland. He suggested Aquarian (go figure) Texture Coated on top and Classic Clear on bottom. He sent me a set for both of my toms. So, there is a little bias here. Mr. Burns owns the company, and the heads were free for me, but they sounded, and still sound, great.