Heads for round badge 22”

multijd

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m interested in successful head combinations for a wrapped (orig BDP) 14x22 Gretsch round badge bass drum to be used in a pop/rock/show context. I really need pro advice here on what will give me the “sound”. I usually don’t use this drum but I have gigs coming where it will be in service. I’ve tried the evans combo with the black front head with the small vents and the double ply clear batter with the sound control edge. I don’t know the model and don’t have the heads close at hand but they were too dead for what I hear. I’ve also used the original heads and they are better but getting pretty worn. Thanks in advance.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
first of all is the Pratt Muffler still there?.

Reactions: owr

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok well hey..you're already muffling somewhat. Hmm. I'd be tempted to remove it.
If not you'll have to work around it. with head choice; don't want to get "over-muffled" on the batter side.
The semi-weirdo combination I found as "as good as this is going to get" on my 20" RB is...
Remove muffler- no muffler- no Pratt. Powerstroke Fiberskyn3 on batter..... and the weird part: Clear Pinstripe on front.
Yep best I could do and don't believe can get any better so it's been that way for 20+ years. Big Boom like Bonham or small boom like an 18...
I don't think (...) there's any rule or guardrail when it gets to these old bass. Sometimes you just try what you have on hand till you hit it the right combo.

Last edited:

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What you're going to get is everyone's interpretation of how their setup will be perfect for you. After all, it works for them. So here's my idea.

I am using a 14x22" RB rewrapped Gretsch for big band and rock settings. The Pratt muffler was removed years ago. I have an Evans EQ4 batter head with an Aquarian double kick pad and acrylic beaters. Resonant head is an Aquarian Modern Vintage with the factory muffling strip removed and a 5.5" reinforced port at about 5:00. Both heads are tuned higher than expected, with the resonant higher than batter. I get a nice big sound with a little boom that blends well with the toms, is articulate, and still supplies good low end.

Our big band has several videos on youtube that may give you an idea how the combination sounds.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still have the Pratt muffler and I use Aquarian American Vintage mediums heads on both sides of my RB 20" bass drum Lots of boom.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whatever heads fit! I've had that problem on my various 20" RB's. I have used the Aquarian modern vintage reso and super kick batters for a nice thump. I am normally a Remo guy but they didn't fit.

I don't have a 22" RB but an SSB, and that is stripped so it won't have that issue once done.

multijd

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’m leaning toward an Aquarian American vintage batter and the original reso. I really don’t want to mess with removing the Pratt. Thanks everyone.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
get two new ones; you don't want to look like an old man ; )

Last edited:

multijd

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I just took them down and out of the cases where they have been for awhile. The wrap is in worse shape than I thought. I’m going to have to consider rewrapping these I think. Or sell them as is?

Attachments

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just took them down and out of the cases where they have been for awhile. The wrap is in worse shape than I thought. I’m going to have to consider rewrapping these I think. Or sell them as is?
My very first drumset (E W Kent) was wrapped in BDP and I always hated that color (still do). If I owned your drums I would absolutely keep them and have them professionally re-wrapped.

P.S. The floor tom pic makes it look like the wrap has a cardboard backing (hoping that it's not the outer ply pulling away with the wrap).

multijd

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My very first drumset (E W Kent) was wrapped in BDP and I always hated that color (still do). If I owned your drums I would absolutely keep them and have them professionally re-wrapped.

P.S. The floor tom pic makes it look like the wrap has a cardboard backing (hoping that it's not the outer ply pulling away with the wrap).
I just sold a Kent set with BDP. Not my favorite either but better than WMP. The floor Tom is showing glue not the outer ply. I tried to repair it at one point. Obviously it didn’t work! I bet rewrapping these would cost a lot as it’s a five piece.

multijd

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
explain..12/13 on top of bass? Ultra Cool!
Yes 12/13. The Ludwig mount was added by the local store at the time of purchase. The set was originally 13,16,22,5.5 sn. The guy who bought them wanted to add the 12. Must have been before gretsch had a decent double mount. Of course this early Ludwig is nothing special.

Reactions: JDA

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Better off to repair yourself or have the seams repaired than to rewrap unless the wrap is absolute toast. Even doing it yourself rewrapping a set is a $300+ endeavor and the end result will be worth at least that much less than what you started with (probably more than that you can deduct off the value). It's a nice option when necessary but should be avoided when dealing with classic vintage drums.

As for heads I'd suggest either The Aquarian American vintage (Modern Vintage are standard sized heads and may not fit) or the Remo Classic fit line. The Evans 360 heads are rumored to fit but I had one that would not even come close to going on a RB bass while either of the others mentioned slipped right on.

Must have been before Gretsch had a decent double mount
That would be anytime prior to 1980...and there might even be some debate about after that.

Last edited:

multijd

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Better off to repair yourself or have the seams repaired than to rewrap unless the wrap is absolute toast. Even doing it yourself rewrapping a set is a $300+ endeavor and the end result will be worth at least that much less than what you started with (probably more than that you can deduct off the value). It's a nice option when necessary but should be avoided when dealing with classic vintage drums.

As for heads I'd suggest either The Aquarian American vintage (Modern Vintage are standard sized heads and may not fit) or the Remo Classic fit line. The Evans 30 heads are rumored to fit but I had one that would not even come close to going on a RB bass while either of the others mentioned slipped right on.

That would be anytime prior to 1980...and there might even be some debate about that.
Great advice and info. Thanks. I actually like the “repair the seams” option. Do you know off any source for directions/specific advice on how to do that? I might be able to manage it if I knew what to do.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
As for repairing the seams, I just use wood glue and clamps. Yes, that is not the "right" way, but it works just as fine.

Also, I am putting together a Gretsch RB/SSB bop kit - 8x12 (SSB) is perfect. RB 14x14 has large patch by the seam that's scorched. The 16x18 SSB FT I will get cut down is perfect (but head's don't fit.....and yes, I've tried them ALL, including the Remo vintage, Evans 57 and 360's, and Aquarian modern V's!), and RB 5x14, also perfect, but the seam is on the badge panel????

So if you are going to scrap the current BDP wrap, please contact me!

multijd

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
As for repairing the seams, I just use wood glue and clamps. Yes, that is not the "right" way, but it works just as fine.

Also, I am putting together a Gretsch RB/SSB bop kit - 8x12 (SSB) is perfect. RB 14x14 has large patch by the seam that's scorched. The 16x18 SSB FT I will get cut down is perfect (but head's don't fit.....and yes, I've tried them ALL, including the Remo vintage, Evans 57 and 360's, and Aquarian modern V's!), and RB 5x14, also perfect, but the seam is on the badge panel????

So if you are going to scrap the current BDP wrap, please contact me!
I feel like I would have to heat the wrap somehow to get it to lay flat. The warping has shaped the parts that have lifted into a hard/non-flexible state.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
strip and turn em Blonde!
(i dunno just wanted to say that) Some have done that with success

Strip
reattach badges (or pull-pearl around)
Oil rubbed-in Finish
wonder what Precision would charge.
Or that could be a tackle/project

are they round head flat screwdriver screws inside all the drums? if so lugs come /off and back on/ easily

Last edited: