Headset mic recommendation for a singing drummer?

hector48

Reaction score
I'm looking for a headset mic to use for singing backup with my band while playing drums.
To keep cost down, I don't need a wireless headset, since I'll be sitting at the drum throne.
Does anyone have a recommendation?
I'd like to stay under $100.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
The Crown cm311 was considered the industry standard when I was using headset microphones. I also had the Countryman, which is lightweight and less visible (often used in musical theatre applications)

Both start at around 350.00

I'm no longer familiar with the latest in quality headworn mics because I've gone back to conventional dynamic microphones and maybe there's more options now but I'd try to avoid the budget stuff as the sound quality just isn't there for singing use.

A visit to a pro audio store could garner more options and advice on mics for live singing applications.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Wish I could recommend something but I can’t use headsets... I hum when I play. I’ve tried them. No, give me a mic on a boom stand any day.

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have one that I used only once at a single rehearsal. (Can't remember the brand, but it's a good one, and unfortunately, not returnable.) The problem with these is huge: you can't modulate when using them, and, as Dan says, if you make noise, like snorting and clearing your throat, or giving direction, like calling in songs, your audience and band mates are right there with you. It was an obvious distraction right from the get-go.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Well, they do offer an optional "cough switch" or on/off switch for some of the premium head-worn models like the Crown - but yeah, having the mic strapped to your head can present it's own set of challenges. One being, it's not easy to "work the mic" dynamically like a true singer does when the diaphragm is positioned just an inch or 2 from your mouth for the entire gig. I learned to adapt to this eventually when I used my Countryman headset & my Crown cm311 but I strongly prefer a conventional dynamic mic on a gooseneck stand now. That's how I started singing live and (after using headset mics) it's where I've returned.

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Well, they do offer an optional "cough switch" or on/off switch for some of the premium head-worn models like the Crown - but yeah, having the mic strapped to your head can present it's own set of challenges. One being, it's not easy to "work the mic" dynamically like a true singer does when the diaphragm is positioned just an inch or 2 from your mouth for the entire gig. I learned to adapt to this eventually when I used my Countryman headset & my Crown cm311 but I strongly prefer a conventional dynamic mic on a gooseneck stand now. That's how I started singing live and (after using headset mics) it's where I've returned.
Is this switch flipped by a method other than your hand? Mine had a switch, as I remember, but it wasn't hands free. I'll dig up the darn thing if I can. I'm in the middle of remodeling my house, and all my unused drum gear is in boxes.

Rotarded

Reaction score
The problem I ran into singing both leads and harmonies with a headset mic was controlling the volume of my voice, as you cannot controll the distance from the mic. After 2 years of struggling to modulate my voice and volume, I switched to a boom and mic combo. I will not go back to a headset.

shuffle

DFO Master
Reaction score
Wish I could recommend something but I can’t use headsets... I hum when I play. I’ve tried them. No, give me a mic on a boom stand any day.
Im laughing because i do the same thing,Dan!
It was discovered in the live recording we did! Gak!
Went back to workin the mic.
In fact,i prefer a mic

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I use this one. No issues with power sources or channels getting crossed. Just plug it in and go! Simple and it work like a charm! I've been using this model (or something close) since about '96. I use headset mics because I can't seem to put a regular mic on a boom anywhere where I won't hit it and I find myself contorting to sing into it. My own failings, haha. I've had to adjust to breathing out of the side of my mouth away from the mic so that my breathing doesn't get picked up.

Attachments

Last edited:

BigMur

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I asked the same question on this forum years ago. I bought a Shure headset. I hated it, soundmen hated it. And the lead singer who is now my wife hated it. I went with an SM58 on a boom (cause that is most common in clubs). I usually use an SM57 because of the size and it picks up less background. Next purchase will be a footswitch. I am not a lead vocalist. And I don’t sing on every song.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Since this came up - a slight hijack: Does anyone remember a headset that basically was an SM58 capsule on a boom? The SM-10 doesn't quite look like what I remember - maybe I'm just remembering a pic of one with a windscreen on it, but it was big goof ball mic on a metal wire boom.

When I was younger I wanted to be a rock star, but now I'm a programmer and I work surrounded by thousands of screaming fans. I've gone through a couple noise cancelling headsets at work trying to find the hi-fi consumer version of the aviation David Clark DC-10 without much luck. My $100 Sennheiser gaming headset sucked, both the mic and noise isolation. I can't wear Vic Firth's all day, but I was hoping to find a good comfy 24db passive isolating headset, with higher frequency noise cancelling (for the fans) inside that, and a good noise cancelling mic. My $50 monoprice ANC headset mic is useless but the noise cancelling is moderately ok - just cuts low frequency rumble, not so much the fan noise.

Rock Salad

Reaction score
I use an old ish Sure, but it's not great. I use it just under my lip touching, and use it somewhat dynamically by singing out either side of my mouth lol. Also being close like that there is less breathing and other noise in it. One day I will spring for a good boom and mic!

ThomFloor

Reaction score
Don't give up on a boom mic stand yet. Get a gooseneck for a boom stand mic and it helps immensely with getting a stationary mic in a perfect spot for a drummer. What is nice about a headset, however, is portability.

drummer5359

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I used a Shure SM 10A from the late 90s until about 2010. For the past nine years I've been using a Beta 58 on a boom. Recently I was on a tight stage and had a terrible time getting the mic stand positioned, I was wishing that I had my old headset mic. I was thinking of shopping for a new one, but this thread has reminded me why I switched to a mic on a boom nine years ago. Honestly, I could never modulate my voice with it.

robthetimekeeper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Great video above. The point made at 15:15 is key IMO. Think of all the best singing drummers. Roger Taylor, Levon Helm, Don Henley, etc. I don't recall ever having seen any of them using a headset mic. Shure Beta 56 on a boom stand is my choice.

hector48

Reaction score
I picked up a Audio-Technica PRO 8HEx from American Musical.
It was less than $100. So, not on par with some of the above suggestions.
However, it will be good enough for me to determine if I like the "concept" of a headset mic.
It does swivel upward, so I can move it when not singing.
But it may look silly with this stem coming out of my forehead.
Anyhow, I'll give it a go at a few practices.
And if it becomes annoying I'll switch back to a boom stand.