Hearing great sounding drums in unexpected places?

goodcat1337

Reaction score
This thread might not go anywhere, but I figured I'd throw this out there anyway.

My 2 year old has had an obsession with watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, and it's usually just background noise for me. However, the other day I was paying attention while the main theme song was playing. And I realized the drums in that song sounded absolutely awesome. I did a little research and found out the theme song was done by They Might Be Giants, but I just couldn't get over how good the toms sounded lol.

Anyone else have any examples of being surprised at how good a set of drums sounded when you weren't expecting it? Or heck, even terrible sounding drums when you weren't expecting it.

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not a drum, but a cymbal.

Attended a high school jazz band concert years ago. I usually go in with moderate to low expectations as far as sound goes knowing that the drummers are playing on the cheapest things their parents can afford - you know the heads that came with the kit, cheap B8 cymbals, etc. I was really amazed at the ride cymbal sound that was coming from the drummer. It sounded really good and worked with the band really well.

Naturally I was curious to find out what it was he was playing on.

It was a Sabian B8. :icon_lol:

LauraCai

Reaction score
I was walking in a downtown area & could faintly hear a band playing a Zep song in the distance. In spite of barely being able to hear them, the snare drum sounded fantastic. I therefore walked quite some distance & finally located them on another street playing outdoors. Snare still stood out for its exceptional sound when I got close. It was an unmic’d Singerland Gene Krupa COB 6.5x14. I bought one afterward :)