header.nohb.html

Hearing protection/ sound mix question

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ok I'm a stay at home player. Drums are a hobby and will remain so. I am in my 60's and need to wear some hearing protection when playing and have a limited budget. Over the ear headphones muddy up the music I'm playing to and make it hard for me to hear what I'm doing. I would like to use one mike to capture the kit and a line to capture my music source. Then if I had a simple mixer I could blend these two sources I could hear what I need to and preserve what is left of hearing. How does one do this in expensively. I'm not going to mic each drum /cymbal I just want an overall kit sound and the music I'm playing to that I can mix together. No recording or anything fancy. Its a 5 piece kit in the corner of a living room. Thanks

Last edited:

Nubs

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I use Hearos High Fidelity ear plugs. They are designed specifically for playing music.

hefty

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know you said you're on a budget (although you didn't say how much), but the Yamah EAD-10 is a great solution to the problem you have.

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I know you said you're on a budget (although you didn't say how much), but the Yamah EAD-10 is a great solution to the problem you have.
A great suggestion but well out of my price range unfortunately.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Give us your general price range so we can suggest a viable setup, like an omni or stereo mic of some kind plus a small mixer, etc.

Dan

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
New: (of course you can look on CL for used)
Behringer Xenyx 502 mixer or similar $60
Mic - SM48 or similar $60
Mic stand $20
Mic cord $40
Headphones - Shure SE215's $100

Roadappledrummer

Reaction score

How about these? I use them with my acoustic kit...They greatly reduce the volume of the drums and the music pumps into the headphones at a nice comfortable volume because the drums are quiet...basically a shooters muff with audio in them...much simpler and cheaper than the route you're trying to go...

hector48

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

How about these? I use them with my acoustic kit...They greatly reduce the volume of the drums and the music pumps into the headphones at a nice comfortable volume because the drums are quiet...basically a shooters muff with audio in them...much simpler and cheaper than the route you're trying to go...

Won't the drums sound muddy (no high end content at all) with those muffs?

hector48

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
New: (of course you can look on CL for used)
Behringer Xenyx 502 mixer or similar $60
Mic - SM48 or similar $60
Mic stand $20
Mic cord $40
Headphones - Shure SE215's $100

This option works well.
Not expensive, and the drums still sound like drums.
I still think you'll want a dedicated BD drum mic though.
A single mic probably won't give you a good mix of the whole kit (namely the BD).

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
This option works well.
Not expensive, and the drums still sound like drums.
I still think you'll want a dedicated BD drum mic though.
A single mic probably won't give you a good mix of the whole kit (namely the BD).
true when I was able to do this I had a cheap bass drum mic and a audiotechnica stereo mic overhead, heck I might be able to be talked out of it...shoot me a PM Tiger if interested,

CSR

Member since May 2000
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Won't the drums sound muddy (no high end content at all) with those muffs?
I use the active electronic version that has mics in the headphones and adjustable volume input.

I have used them in rehearsal with a big band so that they will amplify the discussions ( I normally wear hearing aids) but set a limit on the decibels. Drums and music sounds ok to me, but the ride cymbal has a WhooshWhoosh warble that is a problem. I contacted the manufacturer, but no response yet as to a solution. I imagine the cymbal decibels rise to the electronic limit, bounce off, and then rise again.