Hearing Protection

Mackermanesq

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I also got a set of Earasers at the NAMM show because they were reasonably priced, did a decent job for the price, and came in different sizes. But the problem is if you don't get custom molded, it's not a guarantee that you're sealing out the sound.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Bumping this thread....I need to get a new pair of plugs and just seeing if anything new not mentioned. I used to have a pair of Hearos that I really liked the sound, cut the volume but I could still hear everything. They weren't comfortable though. I had a pair of Earasers and they are very comfortable but I couldn't hear anything except my drums and they seems loud sorta like when you plug an ear to sing type of effect. I usually would just wear one in which ever ear was closest to the lead guitar (always the loudest d#mn thing on stage) but I left them in my shirt pocket after a gig and they got washed and dried and the dryer deformed them....so need something new.

Rick

Reaction score
Bumping this thread....I need to get a new pair of plugs and just seeing if anything new not mentioned. I used to have a pair of Hearos that I really liked the sound, cut the volume but I could still hear everything. They weren't comfortable though. I had a pair of Earasers and they are very comfortable but I couldn't hear anything except my drums and they seems loud sorta like when you plug an ear to sing type of effect. I usually would just wear one in which ever ear was closest to the lead guitar (always the loudest d#mn thing on stage) but I left them in my shirt pocket after a gig and they got washed and dried and the dryer deformed them....so need something new.
Check out "Vibes" (mentioned earlier in this thread). I bought a pair after reading about them here and really like them. They are super comfortable, knock the decibels down to a comfortable level, but still allows me to hear the tone of my drums, ghost notes, etc. It takes a bit of the high frequencies out, but not so bad that the music doesn't still sound balanced.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Check out "Vibes" (mentioned earlier in this thread). I bought a pair after reading about them here and really like them. They are super comfortable, knock the decibels down to a comfortable level, but still allows me to hear the tone of my drums, ghost notes, etc. It takes a bit of the high frequencies out, but not so bad that the music doesn't still sound balanced.
Good enough...they look like they'll be comfortable, found a 15% discount "DRUMHEAD" and ordered direct from their site for $20 shipped

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I've always used hearing protection, other than two times. I attribute my mild tinnitus mostly to those times, plus setting up/tearing down with really loud house/club music.

I've used the Etymotics and other similar plugs in the past, and still do when we're playing a short set where it's not worth my time to set up my IEMs. The rest of my gigs I use my Shure SE215 with the triple flange end. I cut the last (the smallest) flange off, plus a little bit of the stem and they fit great. They cut more volume than even the regular earplugs I use.

JustSumGuy

Reaction score
First, let me say that I am a firm advocate for it. I am 59 years old and started wearing ear plugs as a young teenager in the band when nobody else did it. Others viewed it as somehow not macho.
Yesterday I got together with friends from an old band that we started when we were 9th graders. We are all still friends after all these years. I wore the usual ear plugs and got the same old laughs. :)

The ear plugs were the cheap spongy orange plugs that you roll up, squeeze them in, and they expand to make everything super quiet. Absolutely zero fidelity, but I like to "not" have ringing ears after playing so I have always endured the ear plugs. My dad first recommended ear plugs when I was a kid and heeded his advice. I am glad I did.

Enough preaching. What brand of hearing protection do you recommend and why, if you do.

I am hoping for some better fidelity rather than just near silence.

Besides protecting your ears, you really should look into getting custom IEM's as the sound of your kit coming through a mixer makes playing a true joy. I wrote a blog post about it for Ultimate Ears' website: http://stories.ultimateears.com/why-in-ear-monitors/choosing-ultimate-ears-no-brainer

EMW

Reaction score
First, let me say that I am a firm advocate for it. I am 59 years old and started wearing ear plugs as a young teenager in the band when nobody else did it. Others viewed it as somehow not macho.
Yesterday I got together with friends from an old band that we started when we were 9th graders. We are all still friends after all these years. I wore the usual ear plugs and got the same old laughs. :)

The ear plugs were the cheap spongy orange plugs that you roll up, squeeze them in, and they expand to make everything super quiet. Absolutely zero fidelity, but I like to "not" have ringing ears after playing so I have always endured the ear plugs. My dad first recommended ear plugs when I was a kid and heeded his advice. I am glad I did.

Enough preaching. What brand of hearing protection do you recommend and why, if you do.

I am hoping for some better fidelity rather than just near silence.
3 months later, but happy to weigh in. I got a set of 3M runway-quality mufflers, since I'm losing hearing in my right ear and hanging on with my left, and I must say, I love it. I hear everything I do right and wrong, with no ringing, reverberations, etc. So it's easy to fine-tune my technique. It's like playing in an anaechoic chamber. Then again, I don't play out anymore, so it's all a solo hobby. Still, though, it would be worth it for anyone to really hear what they're doing at the granular level. 22 bucks on Amazon. Useless for performing, of course, but otherwise great.

MBB

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
After developing tinnitus recently I went to the ENT doc and audiologist. Luckily no hearing loss aside from some drop off at 8000 Hz. Picking up custom plugs next week. The off the shelf plugs I tried were crap.

Old Drummer

Reaction score
Well, I use cotton balls, or actually half or less a cotton ball per ear. (A whole ball is unnecessarily large.) If I happen not to have a cotton ball, I use little pieces of Kleenex instead. They work almost as well, but cotton balls are better.

I have no idea whether these protect my hearing (tho my hearing is fine) and in fact don't use them for this reason. I use them because I hate the sound of drums from behind the set without them. Drums are just too shrill for me from that listening point, although a few feet away from the set while someone else is playing is fine. Putting cotton or Kleenex in my ears just muffles out the shrillness and allows me to tolerate the sound of my own playing. I've also done this pretty much ever since I started playing (and cotton balls are in my gear case).

I'd guess that my method has helped my hearing, tho we'd probably have to google it to find out how helpful it is. Anyone at risk by playing super loud music or with problems developing should probably use doctor-approved store-bought earplugs, but I've made it with the 99 cent option.