Heart Breaking Discovery...

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I work in a school district on the maintenance team. While performing said duties I found myself in an elementary 4th-6th grade band\music room. That was when I discovered the following grisly scene... Just a sad day for me.

1. Victim #1 Slingerland... No idea what I am even looking at. Aluminum shell (?) and the hoops are non-magnetic.

Victim #2 Is this a Supra (hey I'm a Rogers guy...)? Brass shell, steel hoops, 10 lug.

Victim #3 Early 7 line Dyna? Clockface strainer with the "D"? Nice fat "ding" where some cherub DROPPED it on a lug...*tears*.

Victim #4 Small stamp 20"....late 50s?

Now I have to find a way to convince the music teacher to let me rescue these guys via trade\cash\bubble gum!

cwdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
+1 on all of the above. Back in my day all the school band instruments had inventory tags on them, something like "Property of Boise School District". My high school band teacher had the authority to sell or give away old instruments (any money on a sale he could use for our band dept. needs). I'm sure if you can get to the right person a deal could be made either in kind or cash donation. Yes, start with the music teacher. Let us know how it turns out.
coy

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks guys... I will try and talk to the guy today.

All of these are being used with the rubber practice oads on them and mixed in with some CB700 snares. The could be banging on phone books and wouldn't knkw the difference.

So what would the value on these be? Considering the Dyna has a bad shell ding, and the general condition of the others?

I am not sure what to even offer....?

$300?

BRIAN

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not a bad one in the bunch, ain't it amazing how ALL of them have stood the test of time. Good luck on this, keep us up.............$300 sounds like a good starting point to me

El Larry

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Man what a nice selection of snares. probably north of 7 benjamins in those alone.

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
With the internet, most everybody has access to competitive market values , including non drummers . Used to be different when all you had to do was contain your excitement .

If you get that lot for 300, you'll have done reasonably well .

Brass is fairly malleable, the ding on " your " 7 line Dyna can be tapped or pressed out .

The Slingerland snare , despite its primitively constructed shell is a dandy , maybe those are COB hoops .

The Supraphonic is , well , a Supraphonic .

The cymbal might be one of those special ones .

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
how many lugs on the Slingy?

and yea...that Dyna is repairable especially if its brass.

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Agreed that the Dyna will clean up nicely, and the ding can be pressed out. Is the elusive snare frame present?

Hope you score one or all of these!

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Agreed that the Dyna will clean up nicely, and the ding can be pressed out. Is the elusive snare frame present?

Hope you score one or all of these!
First-THANKS for your enthusiasm guys! Cool to have someplace to go where people understand this kind of thing lol.

Couple updates-

Re: Dyna No, no frame-yet. But I am still poking around...lol. I do have a complete frame from a currently unassembled big 'R' Dyna, but I would prefer to keep that drum complete. I went back to check them out again and noticed that the Dyna also has a dent from being hit on the strainer...*sigh* Not too bad, but we are not talking about a collectors grade Dyna lol.

The Ludwig Supra looks like the strainer was updated at some point. Not sure of the Ludwig numbers but maybe the "P85"? Has the word Ludwig in a black back ground. But the rest of the drum looks decent no dings just some flaky chrome.

Question was asked why "rescue"? Well...these are 4th, 5th, and 6th graders who all play with the big rubber pads on the snares like five or six kids standing in a row. These snares date back to the HS which was built in 1958. They have been abused and passed down to the jr. band. Basically, they wouldn't know a Dyna from a cardboard box at this point, which is fine EXCEPT they are mindlessly abusing these drums without a thought for what they have on the stand in front of them. My intention, honestly is not in flipping them, but in cleaning them up and using them. My snare experience is pretty narrow-pretty much a COB Powertone, a birch Tama Starclassic, and an Acrolite, at this point.

I got to talk the the Band Director today, really cool guy (even if he is a sax player...lol). He "gets it" and is going to check into the proper way to do this and take another look at the drums. So it is still positive at this point. He did mention that he wished he had a bop kit for the kids because it would fit them better than the current circa 1990 Premier kits he currently has. So maybe time to let go of my prized Tama Stagestar bop kit...in a pristine stripped down condition. I confess it would kill me to see "my baby" all trashed and sitting in a corner... But we will see.

Stay tuned...

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
8 lug Slingly aluminum can go from $100 - $200 if REALLY nice.
The Supra is not brass. They can go from $150 - $350 if NICE and minimal pitting - hard to tell on yours but I'll call it $200.
The 7 lug Dyna - is that 5" or 6.5" deep? 5" about $500. 6.5 - up to $1K. Dents are easy to fix in brass shells.......

I'd volunteer to clean/restore all 3 of them for the school and MAYBE they let you keep one of them? Or pay a fair sum for one or the lot.....it's for the kids, right?

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I work in a school district on the maintenance team. While performing said duties I found myself in an elementary 4th-6th grade band\music room. That was when I discovered the following grisly scene... Just a sad day for me.

1. Victim #1 Slingerland... No idea what I am even looking at. Aluminum shell (?) and the hoops are non-magnetic.

Victim #2 Is this a Supra (hey I'm a Rogers guy...)? Brass shell, steel hoops, 10 lug.

Victim #3 Early 7 line Dyna? Clockface strainer with the "D"? Nice fat "ding" where some cherub DROPPED it on a lug...*tears*.

Victim #4 Small stamp 20"....late 50s?

Now I have to find a way to convince the music teacher to let me rescue these guys via trade\cash\bubble gum!
Send me the school district's contact information and I will take care of it. No need for you to have to go thru all that hard work. You already have had enough trauma discovering that "Heart breaking" scene ;)

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
8 lug Slingly aluminum can go from $100 - $200 if REALLY nice.
The Supra is not brass. They can go from $150 - $350 if NICE and minimal pitting - hard to tell on yours but I'll call it $200.
The 7 lug Dyna - is that 5" or 6.5" deep? 5" about $500. 6.5 - up to $1K. Dents are easy to fix in brass shells.......

I'd volunteer to clean/restore all 3 of them for the school and MAYBE they let you keep one of them? Or pay a fair sum for one or the lot.....it's for the kids, right?
"For the kids"....funny how that phrase is bandied about in the education industry....lol.

No, not really, it is for the salvage of some nice old snares from people who don't know or care about them the way an afficianado does or would, AND who can be served just as well if not better by better functioning and quite appropriate replacements...

Lol.

I offered them three fully functioning replacements with new heads (batters) an assortment of accessories (cymbal stands, hi hat stands, bass drum pedals), a replacement 20" ride (Zildjian A) or any combination there of-including cash if preferred.

Not trying to pull a fast one, but don't plan on going crazy just "for the kids"....lol.

Your post is certainly helpful and appreciated!

Speedy Keen

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The school district (large) I work for does all online auctions now to get rid of surplus items. They get drums from time to time. I managed to win an auction for a Ludwig Smoke black vistalite set consisting of 22", 9" x 13" and 10"x 14". No floor tom. I managed to sell the 10 x 14 for enough money and after some watching, then managed to win a worn floor tom , off ebay, for less money than I got from the 10 x 14. I have just a little past 100.00 invested in all three drums. The drums do have a LOT of wear on them. Not much makes it through a school system without being heavily used by careless people.

Latest posts