Heart Breaking Discovery...

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
"For the kids"....funny how that phrase is bandied about in the education industry....lol.

No, not really, it is for the salvage of some nice old snares from people who don't know or care about them the way an afficianado does or would, AND who can be served just as well if not better by better functioning and quite appropriate replacements...

Lol.

I offered them three fully functioning replacements with new heads (batters) an assortment of accessories (cymbal stands, hi hat stands, bass drum pedals), a replacement 20" ride (Zildjian A) or any combination there of-including cash if preferred.

Not trying to pull a fast one, but don't plan on going crazy just "for the kids"....lol.

Your post is certainly helpful and appreciated!
It has been the case in the past that impatient band directors have just "cleared out all that old junk" and filled dumpsters with it!

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I went to an open house Wed. night at my kid's prospective jr. high. We saw a concert and then got to check out the goods. 4 piece Yamaha kit, K custom ride, A crash, A hats. 32" or 36" gorgeous walnut finish Ludwig concert bass which thumped with the slightest touch....looked classy with fiberskyn heads. 2-3 concert snares, I think one was a Pearl 12 lugger with the funky throw system and maybe another a Remo 10 lug snare. Full marimba, xylophone, vibraphone and another huge percussion piece (all in nice shape). Four lovely copper Ludwig tympanis, and some other stuff in the backround I could not see. Not a bad setup at all......I need to keep an eye out for their summer clearance sale! That, or figure out where the dumpsters are!

MrYikes

Reaction score
I once saw a director throw into a dumpster a 4 piece marching tenor ludwig outfit. I promptly pulled them out and took them home. I had trouble understanding why the threaded portion of the lugs that hold the lugs to the drum were tilted upwards (all of them). I thought it terrible that Ludwig would design it that way. Finally my brain kicked in. The heads had been so over-tightened that all the lugs were broken. I now have a nice waste basket, magazine holder and a couple of catch-alls in the music room.

rock roll

Reaction score
"For the kids"....funny how that phrase is bandied about in the education industry....lol.

No, not really, it is for the salvage of some nice old snares from people who don't know or care about them the way an afficianado does or would, AND who can be served just as well if not better by better functioning and quite appropriate replacements...

Lol.

I offered them three fully functioning replacements with new heads (batters) an assortment of accessories (cymbal stands, hi hat stands, bass drum pedals), a replacement 20" ride (Zildjian A) or any combination there of-including cash if preferred.

Not trying to pull a fast one, but don't plan on going crazy just "for the kids"....lol.

Your post is certainly helpful and appreciated!
I would start at new replacements plus whatever sounds fair.
I assume school looks at vintage stuff as just old and would rather have new .
Good luck.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
The Ludwig Supra looks like the strainer was updated at some point. Not sure of the Ludwig numbers but maybe the "P85"? Has the word Ludwig in a black back ground. But the rest of the drum looks decent no dings just some flaky chrome.
I think you're right about the strainer.
P85 should date to 1968. However, that drum was built so late in 1967, that may be close enough.
My thinking, though, is that drum likely came with a P83.

Nice collection. I hope you get them. In my experience, though, it seems band directors only know one word....NO!

Elvis

Troyh

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
As a guy that teaches in a middle school, and helps out the band, there are several ways it could play out.
1. Band director might not be a able to sell them due to internal controls.
2. Band director could sell them outright. (Depends on the school system.)
3. Band director, (this is what I've done) swaps them. Bring in a couple of decent snares and other equipment to trade out. This removes having to go through the treasurer/ school board.
Good luck!

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
As a guy that teaches in a middle school, and helps out the band, there are several ways it could play out.
1. Band director might not be a able to sell them due to internal controls.
2. Band director could sell them outright. (Depends on the school system.)
3. Band director, (this is what I've done) swaps them. Bring in a couple of decent snares and other equipment to trade out. This removes having to go through the treasurer/ school board.
Good luck!
Thank you for your service...and advice. Definitely not an easy job! I know this guy and he is one of the "good guys" and understands completely that it is a shame to have these snares beat up and knocked around. They really just need functioning snare drums (I rechecked the Dyna and realized the strainer isn't even functioning because the throw is bent against the shell).

The director said he will ask his supervisor and see what he can do and how to do about it.

Can't ask him for more than that.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think you're right about the strainer.
P85 should date to 1968. However, that drum was built so late in 1967, that may be close enough.
My thinking, though, is that drum likely came with a P83.

Nice collection. I hope you get them. In my experience, though, it seems band directors only know one word....NO!

Elvis
Thanks for the clarification, appreciated.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I would start at new replacements plus whatever sounds fair.
I assume school looks at vintage stuff as just old and would rather have new .
Good luck.
Thanks!

That is what I am thinking. I have some stuff he could definitely use-Pearl steel snare, dDrum maple snare, etc. So I am hopeful we could make a fair trade.

Rik_Everglade

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The very first drum set that I ever played was still being used by my old school. Blue strata Slingerland 12, 14, 20. Beaten, but not broken. I told the band teacher that it'd be cool to get them. He said to give him a donation. I had $70 bucks on me, he said that they were mine.