heavy flat rides

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
In my search for a flat ride, I keep running across flat rides in the 3000g/20" 3900g/22" range, and I have no clue what to expect from it. Is this the bronze equivalent of the buttered toast/cat experiment? Is it loud/quiet/washy/controlled?

atomicmorganic

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have a 22" Sabian Ed Thigpen ride. It seems a little heavy. The sound is quiet and controlled. It is a great cymbal.

avedisschwinn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Have a Paiste Blue Label 20" Heavy Flat that is approx 2700 grams. It didn't have the "shimmer" I am used to from a medium, so I put a couple rivets in it.
Not crashable at all, but a very nice ride sound. What are you looking at?

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I was looking for something a little tamer, a little quieter, and a lot more controlled than my APX ride. It just builds and builds and builds. But honestly, I wonder if I should just take a page from Phil Rudd's book and say screw the ride - hats work for subdividing, hats + crash probably works way better than a flat ride for a one-cymbal setup.

avedisschwinn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
swarfrat said:
I was looking for something a little tamer, a little quieter, and a lot more controlled than my APX ride. It just builds and builds and builds. But honestly, I wonder if I should just take a page from Phil Rudd's book and say screw the ride - hats work for subdividing, hats + crash probably works way better than a flat ride for a one-cymbal setup.
APX are pretty intense as I recall. For a one cymbal set up a mellow crash ride would be nice - I think you need a bell! A-Avedis, Sabian El-Sabor, Paiste 602 all can be found in a nice medium thin with a good bell, good ride sound, and crashable

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
pingy without the bell/
you could try an old Avedis 20 Flat (most are 2600 on up g) but you'll never get it to wash.
it just won't do it/
If you want strict dry ping/ no matter how hard you play it/ they're it.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
A crash-ride is going to be even more washy than what I have. And a flat ride isn't going to crash. For a ride function I think I want a glassy ping that gets out of the way without building up in to a sunami of roar. With itty bitty tips, the APX ride is glassy but it still builds up fast. I don't have any first hand 2002 experience but APX is basically emulating that line. It's billed as harsh and cutting but I don't think it's really any brasher than 2002.

Here's a BDC video of what I have:

Anyways - I guess what I was really asking - does a heavy weight work against the typical characteristics of a flat ride?

Last edited by a moderator:

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
avedisschwinn said:
Have a Paiste Blue Label 20" Heavy Flat that is approx 2700 grams. It didn't have the "shimmer" I am used to from a medium, so I put a couple rivets in it.
Not crashable at all, but a very nice ride sound. What are you looking at?
I played a Paiste Blue Label 20" Medium Flat Ride for years (still kickin' myself..yada yada yada..). Fantastic shimmer. beautiful harmonics, very crashable, but totally perfect for quieter controlled gigs. If you lay into it it doesn't get louder, just kinda fuller. I picked a a 2002 flat ride once thinking it would have that same magic & found it very boring.

Gcort49

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Have 3, and recommend all...a 602 flat, Sig flat, and a 2002 flat. The 2002, is my favorite. I find it more 'jazzy' than the 602 or Sig.

Hard to believe, hard to beat.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I played a few Zildjain A flat rides that were like JDA described - very tight and dry. Then there is a heavy Ufip Rough I have that's also pingy but more lively than the A, sort of chimey. It's not only about the weight.

An affordable flat on the quiet side used to be the Paiste Alpha flat. Maybe you can find one used.

As for one-cymbal setups, you can find crash rides/light rides that don't wash out, partially unlathed ones for example. You get a bell, a decent crash sound, a controlled ride all in one. A flat ride is really a specialty cymbal. Why not go with a more standard solution?

dboomer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ive been through a bunch of them ... A & K, Sabian Ed Thigpin, Paiste Sig and 602 but the one that really is all stick and no wash is my Sabian Radia.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The 70s-80s Zildjian catalogs put the Flat Rides in the "Medium-Heavy" weight class. Similar to the Ping Rides of the time, it would probably be more accurate to say "Medium to Heavy." At least that's how they played messing around with them.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Here's my EAK 20" Flat Ride from 1984 that weighs 2484g. I am the original owner and this Flat Ride sounds incredibly sweet, silvery, and glassy...crystal glass! ... and is much lighter than the one's you have mentioned above in this thread. It is for sale, so PM me if you are interested. Here's the link to the SoundFile:

avedisschwinn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Treviso1 said:
Here's my EAK 20" Flat Ride from 1984 that weighs 2484g. I am the original owner and this Flat Ride sounds incredibly sweet, silvery, and glassy...crystal glass! ... and is much lighter than the one's you have mentioned above in this thread. It is for sale, so PM me if you are interested. Here's the link to the SoundFile:

Shimmer!

Latest posts