heavy flat rides

Peterk256

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Bri6366 said:
The 70s-80s Zildjian catalogs put the Flat Rides in the "Medium-Heavy" weight class. Similar to the Ping Rides of the time, it would probably be more accurate to say "Medium to Heavy." At least that's how they played messing around with them.
I bought a 70s 20" A Zildjian Flat Ride several years ago. The above description is accurate. It did not serve my intended needs for a relatively quiet ride so I got rid of it.

I have a sweet-sounding 18" Paiste Traditional (they were made 1998-2009, not the current Signature Traditionals) Flat Ride that I always use for low-volume gigs. I also have a 20" Soultone Custom ($85 from Amazon!) that's a bit pingier and louder than the 18" Paiste yet more usable and pleasing than the above mentioned Zildjian version.

NYFrank

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just bought a Soultone 21" custom flat ride. It's very tight and controlled.

willgrifffff

Reaction score
I bought a 70s 20" A Zildjian Flat Ride several years ago. The above description is accurate. It did not serve my intended needs for a relatively quiet ride so I got rid of it.

I have a sweet-sounding 18" Paiste Traditional (they were made 1998-2009, not the current Signature Traditionals) Flat Ride that I always use for low-volume gigs. I also have a 20" Soultone Custom ($85 from Amazon!) that's a bit pingier and louder than the 18" Paiste yet more usable and pleasing than the above mentioned Zildjian version.
Hey just wondering if you would consider selling your 18” traditionals flat ride?

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In my search for a flat ride, I keep running across flat rides in the 3000g/20" 3900g/22" range, and I have no clue what to expect from it. Is this the bronze equivalent of the buttered toast/cat experiment? Is it loud/quiet/washy/controlled?
Flat Rides have controlled overtones that accentuate the attack of the stick. Heavier ones are louder and have a ping sound. Light ones are quieter with more of a click sound for the attack. 3000g is very heavy for a flat ride. I can imagine that would work in a loud situation where you want no build up of overtones but it is probably never going to match the volume of a cymbal with a bell. Personally I prefer light ones because of the styles I play.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
I played a Paiste Blue Label 20" Medium Flat Ride for years (still kickin' myself..yada yada yada..). Fantastic shimmer. beautiful harmonics, very crashable, but totally perfect for quieter controlled gigs. If you lay into it it doesn't get louder, just kinda fuller. I picked a a 2002 flat ride once thinking it would have that same magic & found it very boring.
- The 602 is it. After that , it the Sabian DeJohnette Series 2, IMHO.

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
18" AZ heavy flat ride -1980's
18" Rough series UFIP - late 90's
18" TOSCO B8 - 1960's ( same as Charlie Watts')

10 out of 10 each one

TPC

Reaction score
I had a 90's 22" K Flat. It was quite heavy - probably around 3000 g.

While one dimensional, it had a great, warm, dry ping. Extremely pleasant tone. I used for big, acoustic pop music in big rooms and it worked perfectly.

Last edited:

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Here's a demo I did of a 22" Constantinople Flat ride that I got recently. Weights 2367 grams and it's not even their thin end (seen some that weight 2100 grams). This have been a life saver at some recent, very soft volume gigs, where I need to be sure that the ride attack and stick sound is still heard. I think these discontinues, but can be found second hand.

To my ears nearly all flat rides all way too heavy, and sound one dimensional to me. I need some shimmer underneath the clock, and if its all sample like ping, then I have absolutely no use for it.
Only ones I have liked are these Con flats, K light flats (around 1600-1700 gr in 20" size) and my first flat ride I ever had, a 20" Paiste 602 Flat ride thin. It was very lovely cymbal, but I didn't have lot of need for it then so I ended up selling to a jazz drummer who I know would appreciate and use it more than I did.

Freewill3

Reaction score
On the heels of my first flat ride purchase last week, the Paiste 602 medium flat @ 2290 grams, I found another. I had been at Guitar Center to look at some crash cymbals and noticed a Zildjian IAK 20" flat, I didn't even hit it thinking it'd be way too heavy. Something brought me back there a couple days later and when I played it I was very surprised. It had a remarkable smokey "tah" and didn't feel or sound nearly as heavy as I thought it would. I picked it up for only $230 and when I weighed it it was 2284 grams, just a little under the Paiste.

markkarj

Reaction score
I had never really thought of getting a heavy flat ride because if I wanted a stronger "ping", I'd likely gravitate to a punchier bell at the same time.

I have two flat rides... a 20" HH, and a 20" A Custom. For me, the A Custom provides a gorgeous soft shimmer. I need to pull it out of my cymbal bag when I build my next setup!

sammy123

Reaction score
I just weighed my paiste flat rides.

2002 vintage black label 20" Flat Ride - 2258
3000 20" Flat Ride - 2226

Very similar, but the 3000 has much more hammering. Both are much quieter than my vintage 2002 20 and 22 rides as well as my Big Beats. I'd recommend them as they are cheap and sound nice. I added a sizzle chain thing to them, which adds a nice element.

Apparently the Alpha flat is good too.

tripp2k

Reaction score
I'm sure the OP has solved his/her problem already but I've been looking at a Zildjian K Light Flat 20" ride. Wish it was more crashable but might be right up the alley for the OP.

Gcort49

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Get a Paiste Traditional flat ride...I am a flat ride hog, and out of the many I had/have over years, nobody makes a better flat ride than Paiste and the Trad is sweet, chrystal sounding..."Paiste Shimmer"
Often find them on Reverb for $230....they weigh at about 2100 g/20"

Dragonlordapocalypse

Reaction score
I’m using a 20” Soultone Vintage flat ride and it actually crashes fairly well. It seems to be on the lighter side though. I’m not saying it’s a great crash but it definitely is possible.

CAMDRUMS

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
As I have recommended in numerous other posts, try the Dream Bliss 24” small bell ride. Almost like a flat ride, yet still crashable. And despite its size, it is not too loud because it is relatively thin.

DonS

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The flat I use all the time is a 20” K Light Flat ride. Great stick, warm low wash and crashes surprisingly well. Not particularly pingy like the EAK but a surprising range depending volume.
I’ve also got an old 20” 2002 flat; very Gottlieb/Wertico and an Istanbul 22” El Negro; darkest of the lot.

pwc1141

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I use a Bosphorus Turk 19" Flat Ride that feels heavy-ish but no idea what the weight is. It is very dark, low and mellow and with the expected stick definition of a flat ride. Perfect for acoustic trio jazz gigs.

SKINZ

Reaction score
22 K FLAT TOP BRILLLIANT NINETIES ERA PLAY IT UPSIDE DOWN for a funky ride has wobble and cuts for a flat compared to my 20 A CUSTOM FLAT .....GLASSY AND QUIETER.....:cool:

Latest posts