Heavy ride help

hoochymama

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Gents and ladies, looking for a heavy ride with a quality tone ( not a ping, not dry). I've tried so many rides that I'm going backwards now. I am a sabian guy but have tried a lot of them and can't find what I'm looking for. Not worried about the crash at all. The closest one I've had is the paiste blue bell 22" but the bell just wasn't that hot and it seemed non aggressive, other than that the tone was spot on. I don't care what brand it is and would be 21/22 sizes. ANY input is appreciated I thank you.Yours truly Angry

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Paiste bells generally tend to be a little on the quiet side. Maybe a heavy 2oo2 Black or Red Label might fit your bill. A Paiste 22" 2oo2 or Signature Dimensions Wild Ride might work too. Those are aggressive and pretty heavy. And they have lots of wash if that's what you mean by "aggressive."

DWSlingerland45's idea is good too. Those heavy K's are aggressive and bright. If you want more wash and "wildness" go with an EAK or IAK in the 1982-1993 era.

CaptainCrunch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Where Black is the color, where None is the number
Member “Mewing” has a 2800g 22” on here for $130. The good late 60’s/early 70’s A 22”s can be GREAT rock rides. Whether that qualifies as “heavy” to you I don’t know. But that seems like a pretty small gamble.

My other suggestion is to try a 602 HEAVY in a 22“ or larger (I had a 21” and it needed that extra diameter to drop the pitch down a smidge), but these have actually been getting pricier.

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Check out the 2002 22” power ride and/or the RUDE 22” “Reign” power ride. The 22” Signature bell ride (Powerslave) is also a musical heavy ride with a strong bell.

hoochymama

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions, the afore mentioned rides are all ones I was mulling over. I know its subjective and I think in my head as well. Thanks to all

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
As for the bell, dont forget to look at UFiP as well... their bells are legendary and they are cast in thick and not pressed in afterwards. They sound great! I have a Red Label 22” Natural Series Crash / Ride (2425 Grams) that I adore but I have had great success with all the top end UFiP's I have tried... just throwing another option out there if the bell is important. Good luck with the search.

W

20190830_173343 copy.jpg

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Tee'd up, perfectly for You.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Which line of ufip would you recomend

I'm currently playing a crash / ride that may have more wash than your looking for based on your OP. If I were recommending a UFiP based on your post I would say stay in the 22" size and in a medium weight (they are heaver that they sound). I would look at any of the three as a good jumping off point to your specific needs....

Ufip 22" Class Series Medium Ride

UFIP EXTATIC SERIES 22" MEDIUM RIDE

UFIP 22" Natural Crash Ride Cymbal

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
have you tried an Orchestral Germanic...from any of the makers? I had an HH that might have worked for you.

daveplaydrum

Reaction score
I use a 22” UFIP Class Medium ride and it’s got a pretty defined stick sound with a nice wash. I learned later that “Medium” does not mean what I think it means. It’s 3200g and I’d definitely consider it a heavy ride that can be crashed if needed. When I think of the word “ping” I think like a bright glassy highly defined stick sound but this one is seems lower in pitch without an abundance of highs in the sustain. I don’t know if that makes sense. I feel like mine has more wash than the one in the video referenced above me a couple posts. I can send a demo of a song my band recorded recently that you can hear it pretty clearly in spots if you’re interested. Just send me a pm with your email address.

hoochymama

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes your definition of ping is what I think when I hear that word. I have looked at the orchesral cymbals but always afraid to pull the trigger. The first two class and exstatic rides in the video are inline with whats in my head ( among other things).

hoochymama

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
After thought I went with the paiste powerslave ride, on paistes website it sounds like what I'm after, I got one for a good deal, thanks for the suggestions and keeping my fingers crossed

florian1

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a UFiP Class Medium (22) that youre welcome to play if you want....im in your neck of the woods. Big UFiP rides arent really crashable... Ive also got a UFiP Class Heavy ride for sale as well.

F

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes your definition of ping is what I think when I hear that word. I have looked at the orchesral cymbals but always afraid to pull the trigger. The first two class and exstatic rides in the video are inline with whats in my head ( among other things).
Agreed. Those first two UFIPs sound great in the videos.

As a Sabian user, surely you tried out the HH Raw Bell Dry Ride? I just bought one of those, and they are lovely sounding cymbals, though I doubt that they can compete with the near perfect wash of the two UFIPS posted up yonder.

GeeDeeEmm