Heavy ride + low-pitched??

charlesm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Does anyone own a ride (or crash/ride) that is on the heavy side but also legitimately low-pitched and dark? If so, what is the model and what are the design characteristics?

Doing some research. Thanks a lot.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Yes it's possible. If looked at from a side view- a level/flat- profile (from bridge (where cup meets body) to edge)..is level. That will keep the pitch down. However weight will still play a factor but less . Same with a Light cymbal- (20" or so) may be low in weight but if looked at from the side- a profile with a large curve- bridge to edge- will Raise the pitch regardless of low weight.

I've a 2877g old K 22 NS that is dark and smoky;
and (on other hand) a 1956g 20" (light) that is "bowed" sounds hi pitched.

You ultimately "hear" the weight but over and undertones can be affected attenuated by profile.
Sometimes profile (bend) can be so acute - it can - rid a low weight ride cymbal entirely - of it's lows..
~
I've heard/played some big heavy Sabian (HH like an early Chester Thomson) that was heavy, flat profile, captured the low.
early K Con Medium - 22"- that's 3.
a Stagg 22" years back was - heavy but dark- that's 4

Last edited:

hardbat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a 1970s Zilco/Azco 22" ride (made in Canada) that is very heavy, and extremely low pitched. One of my favorite cymbals.

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Funny you should ask... I just took delivery last night of a new Sabian 22" HHX Legacy Heavy Ride. It weights approx 2850 grams, and is not really that heavy at all. I spent a couple of hours testing it out, and found it to be very musical. Nice stick definition, a nice strong bell, big dark shimmering crash sound. A dark yet powerful ride that would suit any style I can think of outside the need for a really heavy ping style ride. It sits just below in pitch to my Paiste DE MKII 22", and has many of the same qualities as that ride, only it crashes better.

BTW the ride came direct from Sabian in the factory box, with the old logo! I was happy about that!

jmpd_utoronto

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a Sabian SR2 that looks like it used to be an HH, given the hammering patterns. It's labelled as "Medium" but to me feels pretty heavy, and definitely has a pretty defined "ping" sound versus a lot of my other rides. It is pretty low pitched, though, compared to other cymbals that I've heard that similar weights and sounds.

dogmanaut

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The 22” HHX Legacy Heavy ride is the one that sprang to mind for me, as well. I had a chance to buy one locally a while back for a ridiculously good price... and didn’t. Been kicking myself ever since. That combo of heavy but low is pretty magical, if you ask me.

I recently acquired a 24” Mehmet Empire ride that isn’t crazy heavy for a 24 (just under 3,000g), but has a really gorgeous low, lush sound and some of the stick feel I’ve found in the few heavy cymbals I’ve liked. Kind of like a bigger, heavier K Con.

Phantomlimb777

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a Paiste Deep ride, the JR Robinson signature. I like very low pitched rides, and it’s versatile enough to be used in both metal and other genres. The top is lathed, but the bottom is not.

J

jaymandude

Yes it's possible. If looked at from a side view- a level/flat- profile (from bridge (where cup meets body) to edge)..is level. That will keep the pitch down. However weight will still play a factor but less . Same with a Light cymbal- (20" or so) may be low in weight but if looked at from the side- a profile with a large curve- bridge to edge- will Raise the pitch regardless of low weight.

I've a 2877g old K 22 NS that is dark and smoky;
and (on other hand) a 1956g 20" (light) that is "bowed" that sounds hi pitched.

You ultimately "hear" the weight but over and undertones can be affected attenuated by profile.
Sometimes profile (bend) can be so acute it can rid a low weight ride cymbal entirely - of it's lows..
~
I've heard/played some big heavy Sabian (HH like an early Chester Thomson) that was heavy, flat profile, captured the low.
early K Con Medium - 22"- that's 3.
a Stagg 22" years back was - heavy but dark- that's 4
This.... Sabian really took the reins on the flatter profile to bring the pitch down concept..

Last edited by a moderator:

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have an HHX RBDR 21" that fits the bill. Heavy and dark.

Also have a 21" Sabian Legacy that is more of a medium at 2000g

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
22 Bosphorus traditional ride - I think 2700g or 2800g. (I prefer 2200-2400g for 22's).....nice medium ping-ish sound, great bell and a dark crash. Not super for jazz, but works great for my live gig - a mix of surf, Americana, pop, blues......

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
Sabian HH ' heavy' 22 - early 90's , small lettering - exactly as you've described . One of the finest if not the finest rides I've ever had the pleasure of owning .

@ 3600+ grams if I remember correctly ,a tiny bit less pronounced profile , smaller bell , more ' pyng ' than ' ping ' you'd find in the K Heavy equivalent .

Last edited:

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My 22" HHX LHR is 2985 yet also plays like a much lighter cymbal

Agreed. I am really liking this cymbal! It has a lot of "give" under the stick, especially when crashing it. Even though is has a strong dark/complex wash, the stick never gets lost. Definitely a keeper!

SKINZ

Reaction score
I have a 22 Zildjian K dark med ride heavy with solid bell
also a Paiste SOUND CREATION 22 DARK MED NEW DIMENSIONS ride......:cool: heavy but plays light
DARK SOUNDS low pitches also different stick tips alter it

charlesm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Interesting replies. Thanks, all.

In the course of looking for some specific cymbal sounds recently, I've become very interested in the subject of pitch vs. depth.

I started to realize that what I was looking for was not only lower pitch but greater depth. And it seems like, in many cases, a cymbal needs to have some weight on it before a sense of undertone depth begins to emerge.

In listening to many samples of prototypical dark and thin 22s--say, in the range of 2000-2400g--the overtone pitch is low, yes, but sometimes there is not much real bottom. Some thin cymbals just sound like all airiness without meatiness.

However, when 22s start to go above 2500g, given the right hammering and other factors, of course, it seems like some of them give off the sense of actually being lower and deeper in pitch than thinner cymbals.

I suppose this is why many "deep ride" models are actually fairly heavy cymbals.

The old adage of thinner=lower pitch, in terms of *apparent* pitch, is seemingly not always accurate. There are other subtle factors in play.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have a Paiste Deep ride, the JR Robinson signature. I like very low pitched rides, and it’s versatile enough to be used in both metal and other genres. The top is lathed, but the bottom is not.
Yea, that’s a cool ride. Tempted to grab one, but I’m mostly a Zildjian man.

dogmanaut

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Dave Collingwood has also posted some pretty awesome heavier, low-pitched rides in the past over on Cymbalholic, if you wanted to go the boutique route.

Latest posts