Heavy ride + low-pitched??

charlesm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Dave Collingwood has also posted some pretty awesome heavier, low-pitched rides in the past over on Cymbalholic, if you wanted to go the boutique route.
I would love to join Cymbalholic, actually, but every time I attempt to register, a message comes up saying that registration is closed. How does one register there?

dogmanaut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I would love to join Cymbalholic, actually, but every time I attempt to register, a message comes up saying that registration is closed. How does one register there?
Huh. That’s weird. I registered years ago, but I don’t remember any issues.

Dave Collingwood also sells directly through his website, I think — collingwoodcymbals.com — although it looks like he’s only got one up for sale right now.

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
Interesting replies. Thanks, all.

In the course of looking for some specific cymbal sounds recently, I've become very interested in the subject of pitch vs. depth.

I started to realize that what I was looking for was not only lower pitch but greater depth. And it seems like, in many cases, a cymbal needs to have some weight on it before a sense of undertone depth begins to emerge.

In listening to many samples of prototypical dark and thin 22s--say, in the range of 2000-2400g--the overtone pitch is low, yes, but sometimes there is not much real bottom. Some thin cymbals just sound like all airiness without meatiness.

However, when 22s start to go above 2500g, given the right hammering and other factors, of course, it seems like some of them give off the sense of actually being lower and deeper in pitch than thinner cymbals.

I suppose this is why many "deep ride" models are actually fairly heavy cymbals.

The old adage of thinner=lower pitch, in terms of *apparent* pitch, is seemingly not always accurate. There are other subtle factors in play.

A smaller bell on a large heavy cymbal is what I'd be looking for . The HH Sabian Heavy had the magic 22" bell/ circumference/ weight ratio .

charlesm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A smaller bell on a large heavy cymbal is what I'd be looking for . The HH Sabian Heavy had the magic 22" bell/ circumference/ weight ratio .
I gravitate more toward larger bells with a low pitch and dry tone.

Buffalo_drummer

Reaction score
Everytime I tried to register there I get a message saying "Registration has been disabled" or something that effect.

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The A. Zildjian Deep Ride was a heavy cymbal, but designed to have a low pitch i.e. "K" sounding. There are probably a few of them out there in circulation. A pretty unique cymbal.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
22" or 20" Istanbul Turk (not even the 'jazz' variation
probably (judging by a 19" I have) 22" Antique Bosphorus.

charlesm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
22" K Dark Medium (if you can handle/like the rest of it) 3013g
Funny you mentioned that. I had one a bunch of years ago that never quite thrilled me. It was on the heavier side as I recall. The overtones were just too high-pitched and whiney.

However, I went to the CT Drum Show a few weeks back and found a seller who had two of them. Both of them were really nice examples, but the lighter of the two, especially, was very sweet.

I was really in the market for the right EAK (found none), but the seller made me a can't-refuse offer and it came home with me.

It's definitely my favorite K Dark Medium that I've ever heard in person. It's 2960g and is low and dark, and the complexity is clean rather than discordant. Opens up extremely easily. Exceptional crashability. Great, clear stick definition.

The seller said he had grabbed both of them over time for being among the better ones he'd heard. I agree.

Taking it on a gig tonight in a nice room and looking forward to seeing what it does.

johnjssmith

Reaction score
Pitch is also affected by lathing and hammering.
I have a 20" Paiste Innovations ride weighting about 2500g that has a mid-high pitched ping but a pretty low pitched wash - my Tongxiang 20" ride weights about 1890g IIRC, and the tail doesn't sound any lower than that of the Inn.
There's an audio demo I posted in the "for sale" section if you're curious about hearing it.