Heavy, sensitive but likes to play loud. Apollo Megatone pre Tama King Beat

Skins_in_the_game

Reaction score
Weighing in a 11.5 lbs. This one piece steel shell weighs more completely stripped of all lugs,hoops, and hardware than my complete COB Dyna-sonic. It is a joy to play. Not so ringing as a Supra. Has a warmer tone. Not as dry as the dyna. but the difference between ghost notes and a back beat is huge. I see why people rank them so high in the list of steel snares.
This one has the first edition parallel system and works smoother then my SS or Dyna systems. I heard that the second edition was more touchy and could even rattle if loose.

Anyway I got this with the original stand which is also super heavy 7 lbs and has a cool feature in that is has a lever that lowers open one of the arms so you can place or remove the snare and then lock it back up tight.
This snare also has this ludwig weatherking on the Reso. Not sure of the year, it is in gold lettering. Any ideas what year the head might be?

Attachments

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
"Oh so you're the guy with the Apollo megatone"..; )
Slingerland snare stand had that basket lock too iirc

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
Got what appears to be the same shell with a Bruno Conquerer label. Heavy, but not
image.jpg
as heavy as my N&C/Zildjian.
A really good drum....

Geardaddy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I own the very same Apollo Megatone snare drum. i found mine back in 2018 on Craigslist for a very modest price. Very cool drum that holds its own compared to my Ludwig SS.

Apollo 1.jpg Apollo 1.jpg Apollo 2.jpg Apollo 3.jpg Apollo 4.jpg

Latest posts