Heel-toe double kick lesson

scottpep

Reaction score
Hey guys. figured I'd post this in the lesson area
Its a heel toe / double stroke technique I use to get a ton of speed out of my bass drums with next to no effort.

An one showing my demon drives and settings / technique

Last edited by a moderator:

Drum Play

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
i tried it about 1.5 years ago and could only do it without shoes.. i can't do it while wearing shoes... maybe i'll try again.

67Mopar

God Speed Jerry
Reaction score
My quads hurt just watching that, it is so cool, unfortunately something I will never be able to learn , takes the Bass drum and in a sense you use them like us old timers would use our toms. How much does the pedal itself matter, i see you are using very high quality pedals. Good stuff.

Reaction score
heal toe is great, i use the full length of my longboards and hit my heal on the end of the board like the start of the first video. works a charm.

Drum Play

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
i'm amazed how easy it is....still doing without shoes though..i will practice without shoes for a few weeks until i get more control then try it wearing shoes... i will give an update.

MatrixClaw

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
These are, without a doubt, the best videos I've ever seen explaining this technique... Super excited to get home and try this out, I've been trying to master heel-toe for years and always come up short... this looks INSANELY easy with your method... :p

Formula428

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Good video, I've been wanting to learn heel toe for a few years, but can't fit my feet on the board. I'll definitely give this a try.

bodinski

the Tingler
Reaction score
I initially learned the basic motion by hanging my heel off the side of the board. It's really ball-toe, ya know...

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I do a toe heel version of this. Has more power but isn't as fast. I'll try this out and see what happens! Thanks for vids!

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
Will this work decently with an Iron Cobra double pedal? I can tell I will need to tighten the springs a lot. Ace

scottpep

Reaction score
HAHA thanks for the bump.. Wow, 3 years ago I made those videos.. Here is one I did about a year back. It's similar, but I have got things working smoother and tighter.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=GtX0k97H46A

If doing it without triggers I find a bit further back and more spring tension really helps keeping it more consistent, but usually if your doing long runs or 16th or 32nd notes, your playing metal, and triggering is a good option.

Another time I tend to use this is at the end of the song if there is a large cymbal swell/fill. This goes well underneath.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Very nicely done.

I've done doubles for years, but not as you have; I'll try this. I've found them great for low to mid volumes; less to at higher volumes, but I haven't tried your approach. It looks like it'd be more powerful.

Your comments about more spring tension and throw distance/beater angle when faced with looser heads/no trigger are spot on.

scottpep

Reaction score
I love this for really long stretches of constant bass. I can do it pretty comfortable in 16th notes to about 250 and really push it for 260... It more depends on the springs, tension, distance and settings for the last few bpm... I used to try and crush out single strokes but my band was trying to kill me I think haha.

This is a pretty specific technique and I almost never use it other than long runs. I do a slide double or almost skip up the pedal which works for playing non consecutive 16th notes.