Height of Seat and Distance to BD and HH Measurements

kenshireen1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I like to play very compact.
Top of my seat is 21 1/2 inches and the distance from my knee to the outside edge of the BD hoop is 13 inches.
The distance from my other knee to the HH post is around 10 inches.

Since we all have bit of extra time I was curious to see where others were at.
I used to sit at 19 inches but found that at 21. This allowed me to use the law of gravity and let me play down on the HH and Ride cymbal.
It was less fatiguing on my arms

Splat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I go by what feels good. I've always sat higher than everyone else I've seen, but not all the way up and over. I tried sitting low but my back and legs were hurting. Geez now you got me wondering how high my seat actually is!

MntnMan62

Reaction score
I also do what feels comfortable for me. I don't like sitting too close because I don't feel I can get enough action from my bass drum and I don't like sitting too far away for the same reason. I play heel up most of the time. Same for hi hat. As for seat height, I like my upper legs/thighs to be parallel to the ground so I actually sit kind of low. I then set everything based upon my seat height, starting with the snare. I like to be able to play a rim shot without hitting my thigh so my snare is a little higher than I've seen others set theirs. I angle mine higher close to the toms and lowest closer to me. I then set my hi hat to a height that allows me to play anything while crossed over without them hitting each other. So my hi hat is a little higher. That then puts my toms a little higher. I used to angle them more and recently started to play around with reducing the size of the angle, with good results. But all my toms, including the floor toms, all are angled towards me.

rigged

Reaction score
I like to play very compact.
Top of my seat is 21 1/2 inches and the distance from my knee to the outside edge of the BD hoop is 13 inches.
The distance from my other knee to the HH post is around 10 inches.

Since we all have bit of extra time I was curious to see where others were at.
I used to sit at 19 inches but found that at 21. This allowed me to use the law of gravity and let me play down on the HH and Ride cymbal.
It was less fatiguing on my arms

Great question and couldn't resist checking mine. I'm currently at 23" to top of throne. Approximation from my e-kit is 12" to BD hoop and 10" to HH post. Actually my throne height is a bit accentuated as my BD/HH sit on those Roland NE-10 pads, so it seems pretty close to your setup.

karlcrafton

Reaction score
The last few years I have adjusted my seat height up and down. I used to sit pretty low.
The actual distances between kits is a bit different, since they feel different, but the higher seat is what was consistent.
Now, 24" seems best for me +/- a touch, not that precise, but sometimes a spin up or down feels better.

One thing that is interesting to me, was changing the span of the legs on the stool.

A couple years ago, my kit was used as backline for an event.
One of the drummers brought the legs in a LOT, instead of adjusting the height.
I sat on the seat afterward, before bringing the legs back out and WOW, the seat was higher naturally, but the whole seat felt a LOT more solid. It was very noticeable. Maybe because the legs were closer to the center post, and it wasn't a base and a long, thin pipe with a seat on top?
It felt more like a canister throne I guess.
The legs are moved in now I'd say about a 1/4 of the way up. It's a Pearl Roadster. Looking from the top, the rubber feet are a bit wider than the seat cushion is (around 13" seat top).

Something different to try out.
Cheers!

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think we'd need measurements of leg lenght (lower, upper leg) in order to compare. Or maybe angles would make more snes than absolute distances.
I like my seat to be knee-high so the upper leg points slightly downward, andthe distance between seat and pedals so that the lower leg points slightly forward rather than vertically down. In other words, all angles are >90°.

karlcrafton

Reaction score
I just checked mine, and the bottom of the seat cushion is at the bend of my knee, approx 21.5" and top of seat is at 24.5".
My legs have more angle than 90º for comparison.

Latest posts