Hello ALL

Ldavis

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Thanks for having me here. I'm fairly new to electronic drums, but I've been playing on and off for about 35 years. I owned 1 electronic kit years ago (Yamaha DTXpress IV Special). It worked great, but I missed the real feel and sound of an acoustic kit. Due to the hereditary hearing loss in my left ear, I recently sold my beautiful 8pc Gretsch kit that had an array of cymbals (mostly Zildjian A Customs) to try and preserve my hearing the best I can. So as of today, I'm waiting on an Alesis Strike Pro to arrive later in the week. It's been about 8 months since I've played and can't wait to get behind a kit again. My only worry is that being a pretty hard hitter, I'll need to change my style and hold back on striking the drums like I would normally on an acoustic kit so that I don't damage the equipment. I know there is no comparison to an acoustic kit, but I realized I'd rather play something vs nothing. So electronic kit it is. Looking forward to talking to you all. Thanks, Larry Davis Jr. New Castle, Delaware

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Welcome Larry! I'm sure you'll get great enjoyment from your new e-kit. I've heard good things about the new Strike Pro. I bought my first set of e-drums in 1985 so that I could continue to play while living in an apartment. I went through several iterations over the 30+ years I played an e-kit and can appreciate how far the technology has come. One of the best things about an e-kit is that you can control the volume going through your headphones in order to conserve hearing. You just need to resist the urge to crank things up because an e-kit can still produce high volume levels. I recently went back to playing an acoustic kit but use a Yamaha EAD10 with a good set of isolation headphones to control the sound level. I prefer the feel of an acoustic kit but you'll quickly see that the variety of different sounds available in today's e-drum modules makes it fun to play along to your favorite songs. Enjoy!

Rufus T Firefly

Reaction score
Welcome aboard Larry. I went through an electronic drum phase but have been back to acoustics for many years now. The electronic kits are certainly versatile and a lot of fun to play with. Enjoy your new kit!

Drm1979

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. By the way I'm a heavy hitter and if my cheapo simmons sd350 can stand up to what I throw at it then I'm sure your alesis can handle anything you throw at it. Enjoy your new kit and again welcome.

Latest posts