Hello from a new member (and Ludwig Black Beauty content)

addisonnyle

Reaction score
Howdy Drum Forum folks! Been gleaning wisdom from this forum for a while now just Googling and researching over the years. I figured it was about time to join!

I'm a drummer turned guitar player who still drums (and in fact finally owns a house and can play loud for the first time in his life at home). My dad has been a drummer most of his life, my brother is a drummer, I'm the youngest in the house... I stood no chance - I was going to be a drummer whether I liked it or not. I picked up stringed instruments in my teens and fell in love with pedals, amps, guitars, the inner-workings of electronics, etc. Still drummed off and on until my wife and I joined a church in 2013. There I finally started drumming regularly again and I haven't stopped since! We've finally bought a home and with the help of the 1960's Ludwig kit I grew up on, I'm finally growing my own "collection" so to speak.

So that brings me to my snare question. I've been using an Acrolite for a little over 5 years now. It's always worked, but never made me go "WOW" like so many of the brass snares I hear and have played on do. So I'm on a quest to find a Black Beauty. I've started thinking that the raw brass phonic I originally was going to purchase isn't the best use of that money the more I read about them - I'm now leaning towards your standard BB with imperial lugs. It's classic for a reason! I actually still quite like the look of the raw brass snares, but I hear they sound different (to be expected). Anyone have experience with both?

Thanks for all the help!

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don't know if you've listened to the shootout that DCP did back in 2018, but it's striking how different the Ludwig brass shell snares sound despite having similar shells, heads, and hardware. I prefer the brightness of the traditional Black Beauty over the raw brass version.

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Helpful video

I agree with you, cochlea. I have a BB and prefer its traditional ring. On the other hand I prefer the look of the raw.

if I had a third hand I’d be telling you I’ve never actually played a raw.

If I had a fourth hand I’d be Billy Cobham.

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Howdy Drum Forum folks! Been gleaning wisdom from this forum for a while now just Googling and researching over the years. I figured it was about time to join!

I'm a drummer turned guitar player who still drums (and in fact finally owns a house and can play loud for the first time in his life at home). My dad has been a drummer most of his life, my brother is a drummer, I'm the youngest in the house... I stood no chance - I was going to be a drummer whether I liked it or not. I picked up stringed instruments in my teens and fell in love with pedals, amps, guitars, the inner-workings of electronics, etc. Still drummed off and on until my wife and I joined a church in 2013. There I finally started drumming regularly again and I haven't stopped since! We've finally bought a home and with the help of the 1960's Ludwig kit I grew up on, I'm finally growing my own "collection" so to speak.

So that brings me to my snare question. I've been using an Acrolite for a little over 5 years now. It's always worked, but never made me go "WOW" like so many of the brass snares I hear and have played on do. So I'm on a quest to find a Black Beauty. I've started thinking that the raw brass phonic I originally was going to purchase isn't the best use of that money the more I read about them - I'm now leaning towards your standard BB with imperial lugs. It's classic for a reason! I actually still quite like the look of the raw brass snares, but I hear they sound different (to be expected). Anyone have experience with both?

Thanks for all the help!
Welcome!!

addisonnyle

Reaction score
I don't know if you've listened to the shootout that DCP did back in 2018, but it's striking how different the Ludwig brass shell snares sound despite having similar shells, heads, and hardware. I prefer the brightness of the traditional Black Beauty over the raw brass version.

I'm with you! I found this video JUST before posting this thread. Definitely prefer the looks of raw brass, but tonally the classic takes it. And that's really what matters most!

GiveMeYourSmallestSticks!

Reaction score
Just recently sold my Acrolite in order to upgrade. I was initially most attracted to the copper phonic or the raw brass based on appearance. Having had the chance to play these drums in person, it was a 6.5 x 14 hammered black beauty that stole my heart. The shell just rings and resonates in a way that none of the others did, and retains crisp articulation regardless of tuning. I really wanted to prefer the raw brass or copper phonic (eyes), but there was just no denying the winning characteristics of the black beauty (hands and ears). It was an expensive drum, but I'm confident I can do just about anything with it, and it's certainly been a revelation since my Acrolite. Good luck with your journey!

Latest posts